As there are some regulations vital to a well functioning community, the following are in place. Keep in mind that any of these rules might change or be entirely removed, or new ones added, depending upon a need (or lack thereof) being demonstrated. When and if that occurs, the title of the thread will indicate the date at which the rules were last modified.
1. No spam. I don't think this requires much explanation. Flooding, irrelevant threads and posts about where we can buy cheap watches and all those sorts of things are disruptive and typically eyesores. You probably already knew you shouldn't do this.
2. Don't be a jerk, and VPL isn't your personal soapbox. Disagreeing is fine. Derailing threads into pages of "No, it is you who is an idiot and a curmudgeon!" is not. Some people aren't going to get along with each other. That's human nature. But take it to PMs, email or anywhere that isn't on the public face of VPL where it can disrupt everyone else. It's annoying, and nobody else cares or wants to see your personal fight.
3. Don't post pornography. You have most of the Internet for that. VPL, and the number of younger members who inhabit it, will be just fine without it here.
4. Yes, you can swear. But please, exercise common sense about it. You won't be banned for it, but people do have certain expectations out of polite discourse.
5. Don't sell your stolen wares here. You'll be banned the second its discovered that you are. VPL has utterly no tolerance for this. Artists, programmers and others work hard to produce their works, and we'll play no part in helping you rip them off for a quick buck. Similarly, trying to scam those selling their own wares here (by refusing to give them the promised payment, for example) will also result in an immediate ban.
6. Multiple accounts. Most people only need one. If we discover that you have multiple accounts, we'll merge them into whichever of your accounts is determined to be the most active. If you want to create an account for your pet site that multiple staff members can use to post, this is acceptable, but please PM me first just so I know that is the case with that account.
7. Competitor sites. We all know they'e out there. Feel free to mention or discuss them. But, as per the other rules, don't mindlessly advertise them. This includes PM spam. PM spam is very annoying. (We will ban you for it.)
8. Elastic clause. If you do something blatantly egregious that hasn't been thought of beforehand and added to this list, we reserve the right to take appropriate actions against your account. That act will, of course, then be added to the rule list.
Please do report problematic posts! That one isn't a rule, hence the lack of number, but it is a strong urging. The staff of VPL are human and might not see everything. But if you report it, it gets brought to the attention of every staff member. Please do this before complaining that the staff has done nothing about a problematic thread or post.
I don't like having to ban or suspend users, so hopefully I'll never have to. Have fun.
EDIT: I knew I forgot something. Of course, if you have any questions or concerns about anything, feel free to PM me.