Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

8 year olds these days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpvr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Well, this image is kind of funny at the same time, and surprising.

[​IMG]

Do you believe this image? Or do you think its more teens that have more technology?
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Moderator Programming Moderator Senior Programmer Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter

I agree with that. My sister and some of my cousins and most of their friends who are between 7 and 8 years old have mobile phones and Facebook.

When I was that age I didn't even have a TV.
  3. Crystalarmor

Crystalarmor New Member VPL Member

I agree. My little brother is 5. He already knows how to operate a computer. Technology grows over years...so no surprise here.
  4. cpvr

My baby sister does too and she has an iPod as well. @Lewis What kind of phones do they have?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  5. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Moderator Programming Moderator Senior Programmer Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter

They all have smartphones I don't know what they are but my sister has a Samsung Galaxy Y.
  6. cpvr

Dang, that's crazy. Do they use it a lot?
  7. FlyingApe

FlyingApe Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

When I was 8 I used the computer every now and then, but I always played video games. Video games were a big deal :p
    I didn't have a phone until I was 13, and I didn't have facebook until I was in High School. Which is how it should be, really.
    If I'm ever a parent, depending on how good the kid is, he will get a phone at about 10 years old, but it will be something like the FireFly phones. No texting, no internet. Just a phone to call family and stuff.
    :p
  8. Romany

Romany New Member VPL Member

I'm not as old as you guys, but when I was 8 I had a tamagotchi :D Nothing else like a phone or Facebook. I did have internet access though... But thats because when I was 8 years old it was 2006.
  9. Micky

Micky midterm madness Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Back when I was younger, we had dial up internet. xD Remember those times? LOL.

I'm 16 and I don't even have a phone, much less a smartphone. Hurhur.

I used to play with toys (beanie babies, anyone??) when I was a baby, but now my family friend's little kid plays with an iPad... I used to watch cartoons on the tv now all the kids are on the internet and phones... *sigh*

I feel old. xD
  10. -Ro-

-Ro- New Member VPL Member

Yeah I agree, my nephew is 9 and has been using a computer since he was 5..and my niece just turned 5 and has had an iPad for like 6 months already, and she learned by herself how to use it!! I was in shock, she can control the iPad more than me, knows everything about it and she cant even read yet!!

Thankfully, they live in the countryside so they have a ton more activities and arent obsessed with technology, they just enjoy what they are lucky to have.
  11. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

Only crayons? I had a TV, computer (albeit no FB, since it wasn't invented yet), and my own phone in my room, but I didn't have a cellphone yet. I don't think kids have changed that much, every older part of a generation feels like everything's changed since everything has, technology is being discovered faster now than every before. We live in the most advanced age that has been (to our knowledge, but I do feel like maybe there were civilizations long, long ago, I mean, people were stupid for 290,000 years then 10,000 years ago started to settle down? I dunno xD).
  12. cpvr

I didn't get my first computer until I was 8, and we didn't have a TV in our room either. We had to watch it in the living room.
  13. bauss

bauss Junior Programmer Junior Programmer VPL Member

It's true, young kids keep getting smarter, and are more aware of technology. But when I was a kid all I cared about was pokemon.
    Andou likes this.
  14. Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

@Neon- I still have Dial-Up. It. sucks. (You get used to it though.) I know some young kids and I believe that they are growing up too fast. :(
  15. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

@Dawnshadow I commend you for having Dial-Up. That takes a lot.

[HR][/HR]
    8 year olds are crazy advanced. We had coloring books our age, sure, but go back 300 years, they were working their butts off on a farm or family business
  16. FaTaLiTy

FaTaLiTy Member VPL Member

i agree with this picture its so true
  17. Andou

Andou Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

[SUB]My father was a big tech geek/expert so when my siblings and I were young, he encouraged us to play with technology and understand it (he believed that it was going to be a prominent aspect in our lives back then, haha, he's so right).

... But when my parents bought Pokemon.. all we cared about was Pokemon. XD Still do actually BAHAHAH.

I don't necessarily think that kids are getting 'smarter' just because they are getting their hands on technology at a very early age. There's also the thought that we are dumbing kids down because everything is figured out for them because of technology (I don't know how to word this so if you don't get it dont worry LOL). I'll use myself as an example: even though my parents encouraged technology, they still urged us to 'do things for ourselves.' I wasn't allowed to use calculators for a while (LOL Dammit I hate math) and whenever I needed to research something, I was told to go find books about it rather than using Google.

Also, this isn't to say that kids of this generation are dumb, they're just more exposed to technology and more reliant on it than we are/were.

But I guess that's where the world is headed. As much as I love technology, I don't want to be overly reliant on it. :p[/SUB]