1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Active players rewarded

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by cpvr, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    I've seen this done on Marapets with their loyalty system, and you get prizes and such for how long you've been playing. I was wondering though, do you think this is a good idea? Like active players could also receive trophies, or perhaps, some retired items.

I'm not sure though, prizes could be tweaked and users could be rewarded by doing various tasks. Something like a monthly checklist system, and they could get rewarded by rare things.

If you were to reward active players, what would you do?

2. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I've always enjoyed the system from both sides. Awarding users for their loyalty and activity encourages them to support the site... which is why I think VPL should start its own system. ;)

3. Ardy

Ardy Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well there's a few good systems I like.
    I like leaderboards first off. It gives people something to strive for, and something to be proud of. Leaderboards for things like top battler, top poster, top quester, things like that are awesome. I know many people will disagree with me on this point, but I think it's a feature worth having. In my mind it's a reward for people who are active in areas of the game.
    Also I really admire Maplestory even though it's not a pet site. For example during one event, if you logged on for atleast one hour a day for like, 17 days you got a special item. And also they give double experience during Holidays or events. So I think they do a great job rewarding their players.

But of course you can't put the active players on a pedistal. Alot of players can't log on and play for hours. They want to but they can't. So you can't make these players feel inferior to active players, you need to make all the players feel valued and wanted. The game shouldn't be tilted in the favor of those who can play all day, it will make a lot of players angry and not play anymore.

4. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    It would most likely be some free VP (virtual points) per day or a free gift that's like something either common or uncommon, bit like how they do it on Fishville and Farmville, minus the XP cause we don't have player XP but we could do pet XP or summat.

*scrawls down a note on notepad*

5. cpvr

Reputations:
    I've always been a fan of leader boards because it gives the users another thing to do, and its kind of exciting to have because the users will work their butt off to get on those leader boards, but if that feature is implemented, then it should also come with trophies. But of course, if you lose your spot on the leader board, you can still keep your trophies.

6. Toxic Rainbow Kisses

Toxic Rainbow Kisses Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I think rewarded active players is awesome :)
    Maybe little random events that give you a chance for awesome items :)

7. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I like this idea. It's on I'm going to be implementing on my site eventually.

8. Hituro

Hituro Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, playtime should be rewarded, you shouldn't feel that nothing happens when you log on. I've got lots of stuff like that, but I suspect my penalties for not logging on are far too little ... your pets get a but sad, you miss bank interest, you don't get as many coins, and so on, but it's not quite a "oh no, I've not logged on and I have to" thing.

9. cpvr

Reputations:
    What about giving users points for posting on the forums? Good idea or bad?

10. Micky

Micky Always online, ping me! [Mythflow] Moderator Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    This. This is really key for me. I am all for having active players being rewarded, but balance is key. I really like some of the activity related systems on Maplestory, like @Ardy has mentioned, which could be ported over to pet sites. I don't see any sites so far incorporating these types of activity rewards. Also, things such as logging for x amount of times in a row and being part of the site for x days, months, or years is pretty neat too. Owners can also think about giving rewards such as if you log in for 2 hours, you get 2 times the random events, or you get 20% discount in stores or something. That'll be sweet. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  11. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    It depends on how they do it. I know Aywas did it once for consecutive days logged on. It didn't effect everyone that had been on a certain amount of time though just a few users. It looked like it had been set up. It made me upset actually because at the time that contest went on I had been an AVID and loyal player for a good 2 years.

So I think loyalty things... LIKE SUBETA'S for example is awesome. If done poorly like Aywas though it's just a smack in the face to the loyal players.

I mean Subeta you get them just for your account EXISTING for so long so that's kind of irritating too. What I like about it is though it doesn't leave any loyal players out. So a loyalty prize that has certain requirements for a reasonable amount of activity and thanks ALL loyal players is awesome. Singling out one or two saying they are more loyal that everyone else though just because they were able to get on EVERY SINGLE day for a HUGE amount of time isn't reasonable. It's a smack and the face and it's also like saying we here at whatever the petsite is called do not support you going on vacations, being in the hospital, or otherwise doing anything in real life except for living here on whatever the pet site is.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  12. Ajax

Ajax Mod & Artist | Need Help? VPL Staff Moderator Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I like this kind of system. Seems to entertain the user while giving them basically a job well done at the same time.

13. cpvr

Reputations:
    Aywas still has this feature. Everytime I log in and open the page, I get receive an alert about free points.

14. Organic

Reputations:
    Oh no not that @cpvr everyone when they log in no matter how long they have been there get a few points. I don't even pay attention to that. I mean a couple years ago I think it was they like called out about 5 users I think and gave them INSANELY awesome prizes because they had a ridiculous amount of consecutive days logged in. It was upsetting because they made it sound like the only players who were loyal were those who would log in to aywas if their parents or something were on their death bed. It left out users that had been playing for 1+ years who truly were loyal and that was sad.

cpvr likes this.
  15. Ajax

Reputations:
    I'm so behind, I never got what the points were for.

16. Organic

Reputations:
    @Ajax

The daily points from my understanding are a "Hey... thanks for logging in today. Since you visited Aywas today here is a tiny wee lil bit of BP!!! We hope you are so excited about this you come back tomorrow too!" lol

17. Ajax

Reputations:
    Lol I thought it was Brownie points used in a different shop lol... shows I don't log in much.

18. cpvr

Reputations:
    Personally I like how Aywas and Boopets does this. If you log in, you get some extra points for the day. I like Marapets' loyalty system as well that gives you prizes/items based around how long your account has been active. I also believe rewarding active players would get users to return for more each and everyday because it gives them something to log into and expect. And also, it'll probably make them more happy because they're apart of the game and having active members show that your game is quite healthy, so why not reward them?