1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Animated items: yay or nay

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by cpvr, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Animated items seem to be popping out on a lot of sites these days, and I'd say they're pretty cool to have, but what's your opinion towards animated items? Do you think they're annoying? Do they hurt your eyes? Or do you think these animated items are a cool addition to a pet site?

And also, what are some of the best animated items you've seen thus far? What about ones you'd say are pretty bad?

2. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    They definitely don't hurt my eyes. I like them a lot in fact. Though I do wonder if 100's of animated items in one area would be annoying. I don't know the answer to that. So for now I like them :)

Corzeir likes this.
  3. Haseshi

Haseshi Ilah Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    A few of them is fine, but a bunch of them make me dizzy;;;

4. CometTheMicroraptor

CometTheMicroraptor Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I think they're fun to have every so often for more special items. c:

Corzeir likes this.
  5. Varga

Varga Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    They can be fun, but just for special items though.

Like these:

[​IMG]
    Vacuumfish

[​IMG]
    Sharklight

Yeah, old Neopets items! XD see here.

Corzeir likes this.
  6. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    Fast flashing ones, like the kind that can cause epileptic things I don't like, but the odd one here and there look good.

I don't have time to look through all of Subeta's items but I like their bobbleheads that move, like that one on Neopets of the Usul does.

And I like this one too:
    [​IMG]

7. Unity

Unity Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    If they are done well I like them.

8. cpvr

Reputations:
    The bobble heads on Subeta are also pretty cool.

9. Rhaz

Rhaz Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I love to make animated items! I think they are really cool additions to petsites, and make for nice special items too. Especially for minipets. These are some of my fav ones I've done on NG:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And some others from NG that I love:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Keith

Keith Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We like them at Subeta.

11. Hituro

Hituro Supporter VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    I like a few, but not too many.

12. Nebula

Nebula Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    If done well and only on a few ocassions, sure! I love them a lot. But I don't like pages that are crowded with blinking, flashing, dancing, shining, sparkling, moving etc. animations. That just gives me a headache.

Corzeir and Lewis like this.
  13. Lewis

Lewis Corepets owner Moderator VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    I like animated items if only special items are animated. I think it's annoying when a page is quite filled with so many different animations.

Corzeir likes this.
  14. Asphodel

Asphodel New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I think animated items unless the animation is so insignificant that you cannot really tell what was the point of it. There are some that are also really deceiving like this ability Slow on Paladore. Since my post count is too low, it is basically like the old dial-up speed when you were waiting for a huge file to load, but there are some animation items like the retro Neopets ones that classy as they are, just so long as they don't cause a trigger for epileptics and people with seizure disorders often seen on crappy "photoshopping" websites like Blinkee.

15. myrianna

myrianna Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I hate ones that go really fast. I prefer smaller/slower movements that don't make my eyes and brain hurt

16. Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow Approved Writer Approved Writer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I kinda like them, but with a slow connection, they can be evil little effers.

17. Pixie-Bee

Pixie-Bee New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Animated items are fine, but only in small doses. If the movements are small and almost 'discrete', then I think they are harmless and have nothing against them being there. :)

18. cpvr

Reputations:
    On the subject of animated art, the battle opponents for flight rising are looking really nice. They're animated and all.

19. Corzeir

Corzeir No longer here VPL Supporter Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I have to disagree with you there I find the stiff and robotic. I really don't think the animation adds much to it then just having a bobbing static image. I kinda find them distracting with the way half of their body is static with limited moving parts more so with the ones in poses that convey movement.

[​IMG]

Notice how it's pose seems like it's in motion but only fins,mouth and ears are moving.

-----------------------

However this is just my opinion and for other it may not bother them as much.

Undel likes this.
  20. Undel

Undel Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Your critique is on-the-mark. Thank you. The Bluefin Charger and the "zebra ram" are rather special... It's probably worth avoiding static action pose + twitchy bits for future sprites! :) We'll try and keep that in mind. The coliseum is the only place you'll see them animated sprites like this. Critters in our bestiary are static and there are no animated items.

In regards to animated items.:
    I think animated items are sometimes pretty, but if I get too many animated items on a page that I'm viewing it does become a bit overwhelming. It's usually easier on the eyes to have static items, but I can see the appeal.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012