1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL's sister site the virtual pets blog

Anyone interested in some Ruby on Rails tutorials?

Discussion in 'Programming General' started by Mishiemoo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Mishiemoo

Mishiemoo New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Hey everyone! I've been doing quite a lot of RoR work lately (and working long hours so I haven't been on much!), so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing some basic RoR tutorials that focus on pet sites. I've moved to doing primarily RoR work from PHP, so I think some of you might be interested to see how RoR works.

Any takers?

2. Lewis

Lewis Corepets owner Moderator VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    I would be interested. Is there anything that you can do with RoR that you can't with PHP?

3. GGitzOle

GGitzOle Guest

Reputations:
    Yeah I'd be interested too if RoR offers something different than what you can't already do with PHP.

4. nobackseat

nobackseat Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I assume Ruby should be learned prior to attempting the framework?

NBS

5. Mishiemoo

Mishiemoo New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Lewis & Ole - IMHO you can do almost anything with any programming language, so I wouldn't say there were things that you can do in RoR that you can't in PHP. RoR just makes development simpler, at least to me, because you start out with so much more. Example, there are plugins that are 100% safe and easy to do that handle things like OAuth/secure login, making an API, captchas and a whole lot more. For me it means less time worrying about the core architecture and really low level basic things (like sessions) and more time to actually develop.

NBS - I started learning Rails without any knowledge of Ruby. As long as you know one programming language (like PHP) it's really easy to pickup. There are some really simple differences, but as a whole its not terribly different. For the PHP programmers out there there's even a Rails for PHP Developers guide, so its even easier to transition. The syntax was the hardest for me to get, but since its very well thought out (the architect designed Rails for humans first and computers second). I can always start with a Ruby basics tutorial, or link to one because there are a ton out there (and a really cool comparison between the two on NetTuts+).

6. Grotesque

Grotesque Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    Rails is absolutely awesome, PHP is kindergarden in comparison to Rails.

On BreePets we'll definitely port it in the middle term, because the codebase isn't that big and it will payout in the long term.

7. Jackolantern

Jackolantern Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Ruby on Rails is much more comparable to PHP + a high-end MVC framework such as Symfony 2, Laravel or Fuel (not Codeigniter).

One benefit that RoR does have over PHP is that RoR is not tied to Apache and its page:script model, meaning that things like Websockets and Server Sent Events are more easily attainable. RoR is a bit closer to the setup of Node.js than PHP. The architecture of PHP means that Websockets just won't work well with it (WS need constant, event-based connections, which PHP doesn't offer).

Another general benefit is that Rails is a full-stack platform with few choices. It provides everything. While that may seem restrictive, the big plus is that almost every RoR developer is using the same tools and platform. PHP suffers from a glut of choices for everything from MVC frameworks to ORMS to dependency injection containers to templating engines to unit test libraries, etc. When a PHP developer needs help with something, they are likely going to have to stitch together their help from many different sources because few communities can service their entire stack. And it makes hiring difficult as well, as most PHP shops understand that they are going to have to train new developers on at least half of their stack. Either that or wait until the end of time to hit the lotto and find a dev who just happens to be fluent in every piece of their stack (the odds are pretty astronomical if you work out the probability with all of the choices out there).

This also gives RoR a definitive culture.

EDIT: Oh, and Codecademy has a very nice, interactive intro course for Ruby that is free.

Ventous likes this.
  8. asbxzeeko

asbxzeeko Programmer & Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    A simple tutorial for Ruby on Rails would be amazing. I'm developing a site currently in PHP, but I've always been planning on redoing it once I understood how to use RoR. (Even like how to use it for websites)