1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Aywas review by Love

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Organic, May 31, 2012.

1. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    It was requested that I made this review so here it is :) Hope you all enjoy and find it useful! <3

Review

This is a review of the internet virtual pet site called "Aywas". This review will be covering the following areas: Staff, Community, Navigation, Information, Pets, website functionality and Economy. Also followed by some final notes and a summary at the conclusion. Aywas has a firm focus on art. Arts through their customs and through writing. The game caters to people whose goals include the unique creation of their pets and developing them through writing and roleplays. Aywas has three site currencies GP (gold paws), BP (blue paws), and SP (silver paws). GP can be bought 1 GP per United States dollar or buy purchasing from someone who bought them for a BP rate that varies (around 400k per 1 atm). SP can be gained by site events or being the leader on the game scoreboards at the end of the month. Aywas has much the same goals as any site which is pets, roleplay, collecting plushies, and trying to dominate by having ridiculous amounts of site currency (muah-ha-ha-ha).

Staff:

[​IMG]

There is a acceptable amount of staff on Aywas. The majority of the staff are exceptional at pleasantly and politely addressing and solving any issues in a very reasonable amount of time. I have rarely had to wait 24 hours or more to get a response from the majority of staff. There are a few staff members who are not good about responding to issues but for the purpose of this review I think anyone interested in joining Aywas will always be able to find a staff who can help them quickly.

Staff Rating - B+

Community:

[​IMG]

There is a large community on Aywas. There are many different ages, cultures, and lifestyle differences among us. Overall, the community is very helpful and friendly. Should you have a question and have to post it on the help boards for example you could expect a thorough and polite response within a few minutes at the most.

On the other hand where people do have different opinions Aywas users do frequently in groups respond to peoples posts in a snarky and accusing fashion. Should you have an opinion about the site, or debateable topics that do not follow the majority it would be expected for people to immediately jump on you. I will admit that it is not a pretty sight sometimes. To play devil's advocate again though, a person always has the ability to choose NOT to be involved in something like that. The arguments that happen on Aywas happen because both sides usually continue to flame the fire. Overall, you could easily just choose to avoid situations like that and you would be fine.
    Community Rating - A

Navigation:

[​IMG]

The navigation on Aywas is much similar to the navigation on any pet website. It is a bar at the top of the site that has drop down menus separated into categories. It is a common occurence however for different things to move to different categories without warning which can make it difficult even for a experienced user to remember where things are. There is a lot of different things within each category though and ultimately not everything you need is even on the navigational bar. Which kind of leads us into our next topic of "information".
    Navigation Rating- B

Information:
    Possibly one of the larger flaws of the site is the inability to find important information pertaining to the game. While "some" things are included in the navigation bar there is a plethora of other things that are crucial to gameplay that you must search for. For example, maybe you'd like to create a lepu. You could head over to the species list and find that it isn't there. So then you're going to have to scour the forums to figure out which creation item makes them. Or maybe you buy an item and you cant figure out how to make it work again your going to have to search everywhere to find out of it's broken or how to make it work. I'm having a hard time thinking of more examples but I promise you as a newbie though the newbie guide is a nice start it's going to take you a VERY long time to learn the ropes of the site because information is just not readily available. Another example might be opportunities that are available but you wouldnt know about. Like the event held last year where they made 4 baby hybrids and anyone who has a child can claim a custom of one for FREE. Maybe some of you guys didn't know that? Well, that's because there really isn't anywhere to find that information unless you search through the news for the past year.

Information: D

Pets:

[​IMG]

Pets are hands down the most unique part of Aywas. It is what sets them apart from everyone else. Your ability to create unique pets to pretty much whatever your desire is something that only Aywas can offer. They are also the only ones that breed the pets the way they do. Customs and Breedings on Aywas are not just a generator of code on a base mixing colors to create what you like they are 100% unique. This is something that you will need to go on Aywas and experience for yourself to fully understand.

Pets: A+

Website Functionality:
    Website functionaility is in my opinion the worst flaw of Aywas. As this review is being written Aywas is migrating to new servers to combat the absolute miserable lag that has been ailing us for months. So assuming that issue is being fixed there is still many others that really aren't being fixed properly. There are sooooo many items that do not work as they are intended or not at all. Almost everything on the website is done manually which means that everything takes forever to do. If they have a free custom day you can expect to wait 3 months or more to get yours. Breedings being passed out are all done manually. Breeding must be done by a person of course and takes a huge amount of time. It took longer than 9 months to receive a breeding back once. I create human life faster than that lol XD A huge amount of things are done manually. Beyond so many things being done manually a lot of the items in the game do not work. There is a lot of games and features that do not work. There are other features that work but not as intended. They tell people that their suggestions are accepted and that it's something the site needs but then they never incorporate. We just got news update recently that said they might be working on a quickstock feature which happens to be a suggestion by many that has been accepted and dates back almost two years ago! I think it is definitely the worst quality of the site overall... thank goodness a lot of users don't really use the site as much as just the forums and roleplaying.
    Website Functionary - D-

Economy:
    The economy seems haywire in my opinion. Staff in charge of items etc... have not done a good job regulating the amounts of rare things that are going out and how many being used. This has caused a LOT of issues on Aywas. It cost double the amount to make a common blue pet than it does to make a rare pet. So obviously rare pets aren't so rare at the moment. They have also had a lot of issues with breeding because they do NOT have enough artists to keep up with demand. Rather than finding enough artists to meet demand instead they punish users be devaluing their items. As you can imagine that does not go over well. Aywas has items called pendants for example that when purchased gave the promise to a user that they would regenerate and allow that user to breed a pet every month... FOREVER. Within the last year they have continually massacred these precious items and made people who put in hours and days of their lives miserable. Now some of them can only be used once every THREE monthes Very sad for those users. Moral of this story is that no matter what the site and staff promise you need to understand going into the game that nothing is for sure. Whether you are promised one thing or another to expect that as fact would be foolish and disappointing to you. Something that costs you 70gp one day very well could be under 10gp the next and an item that promises one thing can very possibly NOT do that tomorrow.

Summary:
    This website has a large community of people with every interest you could ever imagine. You without a doubt can make friends here and find something to entertain yourself. The pets are the best out of anywhere on the internet and can fit your every desire. The staff for the most part are there to help you and help improve your experience on the site. Most people that play Aywas and really enjoy it are focused on art and creating characters out of their pets and therefore aren't as effected by the poor functionality. There are a lot of great qualities about this site and when looking for a new petsite to play I would certainly give it a try while keeping in mind it's downfalls! Also, if you are an artist and like to draw for yourself, you will have a lot more luck in not having to wait for months and also making site currency!

OVERALL RATING - C+
    Very unique, worth trying, does have it's downfalls though.

Michi, Lion, Evolution and 4 others like this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Great review @Love excellent work!:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    @cpvr

Thank you I really hope people like it! I will add some more info on the avatar system and add more screenshots too as soon as I fix my laptop I hate this thing.

4. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    That would be pretty cool, I don't think I've seen any reviews on their avatar system.

5. Chocoshrooms

Chocoshrooms Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I just joined Aywas and I do have a lot of trouble navigating the site. I haven't found any sort of tutorial yet ^^;

Great review though! : )

6. odeons_kingdom

odeons_kingdom Approved Writer Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    Great review. Brought up a lot of interesting points. I've been playing Aywas for ages and there are a lot of things I can relate to.