Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Black Widow Spider Warning.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zei, May 30, 2012.

1. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

After finding out that most of us are disliking spiders around here, I also figured I should warn most of you of something. I work in the produce department of a local grocery store and we've recently been handed warnings and liability notices about Black Widow spiders. They have been showing up on grapes, in grape boxes, and around grape shipments. So this is a warning and a red flag to not only myself, but to consumers. Be careful when buying any form of grape, be sure to inspect the grapes before purchase and before consumption.

Although the produce workers should be checking the grapes, as well as any other product for signs of bugs or debris sometimes we miss things. (Hey we're human.) So I'm just letting many of you know about the grape warning. It is also very possible to find large spiders hidden within banana bunches, most of those I have found are dead.

tl;dr - Black Widow Spiders in grapes, be careful.
  2. Kiara

Kiara Moderator Moderator VPL Member

*crosses grapes off my list of things to buy*

Lol but seriously, this is good to know. That's crazy. I wonder why it's happening so commonly.
  3. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Holy...

I assume you mean in with the grapes, and not actually inside of the grapes?
    (Yes, there have been stories of baby spiders inside of apples and other fruits, so I'm making sure).

Anyways, thanks for the warning. That's crazy!​
  4. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

@Joy

Yes, within the grape bunch.

@Kiara

I know of one attack so far to a produce associate, apparently no other attacks have happened / been reported. The associate was not harmed, maybe terrified, but she did live. We've just been told to keep and eye out.

A good thing to keep in mind is if you encounter a Black Widow douse it with vinegar and it will die.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  5. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Whelp.

Gonna have to warn the mother against going to get grapes.
  6. Mutationification

Mutationification Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I guess it's good I'm allergic to grapes then. =P
  7. Zei

If there was a like button, I'd have used it. xD
  8. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

fidnginuierbBJFNERJGNDSuenw

Yeah no thanks to any grapes plz.

Brb, I'm spreading the word now.​
  9. Kiara

Kiara Moderator Moderator VPL Member

@Zei - does that vinegar thing go for all spiders? If so I might just have to get some vinegar.
  10. Zei

@Kiara

Not sure, it was part of our "learn something" packet about Black Widows. x3 Might.
  11. Onyx

Onyx Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Black widows actually live where I live. They are quite shy and you'd REALLY have to provoke one to be in danger of being bitten (step on it, get it caught in your clothing, etc). They tend to stick to out of the way places so it's pretty rare to encounter one. If you just use a normal amount of caution, you should be fine. We had a few living in out-of-the-way nooks in our house and we just let them alone and they let us alone. It's rare for a bite to be fatal, btw, though the symptoms can be pretty unpleasant.
  12. Zei

I'm glad you know a lot about them. It's rare to find them around my parts, but nonetheless, I hate spiders so it only scares me more. xD
  13. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

^^ this made me lol :D On another note, thanks for the info!
  14. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

One problem with this advice...if there's a black widow in your grape bunch, you're getting pretty up-close-and-personal with it...it's probably going to be aggressive if it doesn't feel it has somewhere else to zip off to.

Very informative, though. :)
  15. Onyx

Onyx Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Well yes, that's why I said use a normal amount of caution xD Cause I mean, they actually LIVE where I live, so there is a chance to find them in things like clothes or blankets that have been lying around unused for a long time, etc. Usually though, I just find earwigs instead, ha ha.
  16. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

They live out here as well. I've only seen a few of them in all my years in Texas. I usually step on them and kill them like that. Or, I get a napkin, and kill it, then flush it.

@Zei Thanks for this warning and alerting everyone, we really appreciate it.
  17. Pepper-Head

Pepper-Head You've cat to be kitten mew right meow. Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Member

I've seen several in North Carolina x'D
    One of them was on the pool (if you weren't careful and looking, you would have grabbed it's web while trying to get in), I see a few around houses, and just last night, one tried to attack my Uncle x_x

He wasn't doing anything to provoke it, he said he was trying to plug the golf cart in to charge and it came from a hole in the wood about 4 or 5 feet away and tried to get him. x_x He tried to spray it with bug spray (my mom had just handed it to him because she came home from walmart x'D) but it ran away.

No thanks to spiders! I'll keep vinegar handy if I have to go in that shed!
  18. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

NOPENOPENOPENOPE

guess I'll just quench my thirst for grape with those juice boxes instead
  19. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Im like terrified! No grapes for me! Ill just buy grape juice and call it a day lol. Thanks for the heads up... Love dont do spiders haha.
  20. Micky

Micky Always online, ping me! [Mythflow] Moderator Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Aragog is building his army!

Er, I hate spiders and I'll spread the word.

=shivers=