1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Can an owner dedicate the same attention to two or more sites?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by Apples, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apples

Apples Wajas and Purefelinity Mod VPL Member

Reputations:
    ==============================

Or does one site end up the poor relation?

I'm a member of both Aywas and Felisfire. Felisfire is my preference, but I know it's down to personal taste.

But since the start of April, for example, there's been numerous updates on Aywas, and the easter event is up and running. Aywas ads are plastered all over here, and Slash discusses the game on numerous threads.

But how many on here know that Slash even has another game? It's not advertised, not mentioned. And the game itself has had little visible attention recently. On March 22nd, there was the last thread on the announcements forum, asking for suggestions on what people would be willing to pay for, a month on, and no input from the staff or any further announcements about anything.

On the 27th March there was a new breed shown in development, and the 1st April that the Aquus was being redrawn, but no further info, or updates. I know these things can take time to get all the markings drawn, but an update would be nice.

On the 7th April there was a thread asking for names for a marking. There's been no update. The new news had a question on pricing the breeding potion, posted on the 11th, with no prize winner mentioned yet, or even an end date. And nothing much else.

The mazes have been abandoned, they used to update every month, but no change in months.

I know it's been mentioned that the site is struggling to meet costs, but surely that should be an indication that it needs more publicity, and activity from the staff to show that things are in progress. Because, it always looks like Aywas is the favourite child of Slash.

The 3000th member has joined the site now, maybe there needs to be something to help those members stay, and become paying players in the future.

If they join, and feel the site isn't having much attention, they'll get bored and move on.

2. Slashmaster

Slashmaster Supporter VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm having some trouble with the Felisfire programmer right now. We aren't seeing eye to eye and because of that, programming has not been happening. I'd like to develop more features for Felisfire but unfortunately it won't happen while this is going on. Eventually I may have to hire a new programmer, but given that he developed the site from the ground up, I'd really rather keep working with him instead of have a new set of coders have to learn the application. Things are looking up but reliability is an issue I run into from time to time.

For example - our artists are doing their job. We have the new breeds finished and all of their markings. Our pet artist just finished the Aquus. Our marking artist has delivered us three new markings for all breeds. But our programmer just...hasn't been adding anything lately. There will be a point where I have to put my foot down, yes. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

To clarify, I don't run Felisfire. Perfy and her team run it - whereas I do run Aywas. My job is to pay our contractors on Felisfire. I've been jumping in and trying to come up with new content but I'm the finance admin on Felis.

As a note -the application that produces money for its owner is always going to be the favorite. If an application is costing you money, and not giving you any profit back, it's hard to focus on it when your successful application demands most of your time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. Apples

Reputations:
    I understand when there are issues like that, I am from Wajas, and I know only too well, the problems caused by coding and coder issues.

But that doesn't stop the updating of contests by yourself and the staff. Just something to make it look like we haven't been abandoned, there's a lot of loyal players on there. It's one of the only sites I've stuck to and play actively on, other than the two where I'm staff, because of it's uniqueness. It would be a shame if the loyal core of the site start to drift away. Because a lot f those are upgraded, you really need to try and hold onto them.

4. Slashmaster

Reputations:
    I planned on announcing the name of the marking plant when the marking itself was added. But that feature hasn't been coded. I guess I'll give that coder one more week to start working hard before I look for someone else.

5. Apples

Reputations:
    I suppose I have a parents mentality, rather than a business brain :p

As a parent seeing one child doing well, and another struggling, I would focus more on the struggling child, to try to help it catch up. Probably why I'd be no good as a business person :p

I appreciate the running of the site is in the hands of others, but you are the figure head, so you are who people look up to.

Corzeir likes this.
  6. Slashmaster

Reputations:
    I guess you could think of it in terms of Wajas...
    Let's say you have two design plans. Both of them require an expensive breed (like a Divine) and a lot of CWP-costing dyes.

Your first design plan is garnering a lot of attention. A lot of people are making pre-orders because they like the way the pups look when the parents are predicted together. You gather up the funds, make the parents, and start selling pups - and people are buying them like crazy. You start putting the funds toward making more divines with the same markings but different colors. Your designs are a success, and people are eating them up, and you keep adding new customs to the group.

Your second design plan is getting minimal attention at best. Because you expected to get the same turn-out as your first, you invested funds from the first into the second. But only the odd person here or there is buying a pup, making it hard for you to want to invest in more customs for that group. After all, those two tokens and the dyes were very expensive - and if few people are buying pups, you would rather devote your resources to expanding design project 1 rather than design project 2, because the second project isn't doing you much good.

This is, of course, withstanding the fact that it's very hard to make any money off gen2s - but let's pretend divine pups sold for 10 CWP like they did in the good old days. XD

7. Apples

Reputations:
    But, in the same analogy, if I invested in something to pep up the unpopular ones, like the new tricolor wing DNA, or a new dye, and make them as popular, or more so, than the first. I'd have 2 sets bringing in money, rather than only one and cutting my losses on the unpopular ones.

But Felisfire is popular. It just needs time invested to keep that interest.

8. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Felisfire probably just needs a content manager so that @Slashmaster can focus on both games - its hard sometimes to run two sites at once, especially pet games.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  9. Apples

Reputations:
    I can appreciate the work involved on running two sites. There does seem to be a good staff base. I, and many others were saddened when Dev, the coder withdrew from interacting with the players. I know there were players unhappy with the changes, but, from experience on other sites, there's always a loud minority that will try to stir things up to get their own way on something.

Everyone has settled down now, and are working just fine with the changes.

What he needs to understand is, that making any big changes is like throwing a rock into a pond. The bigger the rock, the bigger the ripples. But, if you just sit back and wait, the pond soon smooths over again, ready for the next rock :p

The site is still being developed, players need to understand that, and learn to ride the waves, if they can't, then they need to leave it to those that can, and come back when everything is smoothly running. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  10. Qwayzer

Qwayzer Coder VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Well, I guess that didn't work out so well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  11. Apples

Reputations:
    *hugs*

If you ever need an ear to rant into just throw a message my way. I'm very discrete. This old head holds many secrets and plent of room for more. And I'll probably go senile soon and forget everything anyway. lol

12. Keith

Keith Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    IT IS VERY HARD, I ADMIT.

I've got problems dealing with Squiby and Valenth at the same time as Subeta :(

13. Katsutos

Katsutos New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    O_O Wow Wow I did not know Dev is Qway and Keith owns Valenth too! :) I guess it's pretty hard managing more than one site(child) and this applies to many.

14. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Well, an owner, if he/she has plenty of time - can also implement new staff members to help them run the sites - such as, adding managers, who can control the site besides the owner, which makes things easier on the owner.

It's all on you though, if you think you can do it - then go for it, or you could also set aside certain days where you work on project, and then the other on the next day. Things like that.

15. vplspride

vplspride Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations: