Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Canadian man loses custody of kids for being too fat

Discussion in 'Health' started by cpvr, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I guess we can file this news story on the WTF! Section. This is so wrong.

Source: http://now.msn.com/living/0622-dad-too-fat?ocid=todnow11
    This is ridiculous on so many grounds - how can you take someone's kid away because they're big? It doesn't matter because at any time, someone can take control of their life and lose the weight. I'd love to see a judge try to do this to me or any of my family members because my lawyer would have a field day with them.

What does everyone think about this?
  2. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

PFFFFFFFFFT oh wow! That's so horrible I feel bad for snickering at the reason why he can't take care of his kids. What - judges are too scared he might eat up his kids when they run out of food? PAH.

But its really sad, these kids going up for adoption. :c Can't another family member take care of them instead?
  3. bamboo123

bamboo123 Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

this is totally sad and disgusting... How can anyone do that?! I mean, can't they imagine it happening to themselves!?
  4. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Member

I actually agree with the other party on this judgement.
    (The one about being too fat, but not just because of that.)

He is 27St 14lb, plus he was 37St 7lb.
    The two children have special needs (I have special needs myself), so I can understand how it feels when you aren't getting enough.

If the judge said something like 'You can have your kids back, once you have lost weight" then I think that's acceptable enough.
    But yeah, I agree with the decision. As what would you rather, the kids die because the father can't help them or the father sorts himself out & gets the kids back?
  5. cpvr

Foster care is usually a lot worse for children as is. It's sad to see that none of their family members stepped in to take charge of this.
    @Martyn But still, kids without their real parents sometimes have a hard time dealing with real life issues. How would you feel as a parent if a judge just up'd and took your kids away from you?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Member

@cpvr
    If I was in such a bad condition, as he is.. I'd try and loose weight, so I can support my children properly.

And saying "Foster care is usually a lot worse for children as is."
    Yes, that's true. But death is far more worse, so it's better for the kids if they take them away.. in the hope that the dad may loose some weight.
  7. cpvr

Actually, I think you're missing the point. As a parent, when your kids get taken away, it takes a huge toll on your life. Such as, depression hits, and everything else. It'll be a lot harder for him to lose weight because his kids were taken away.

I've had my daughter taken away from me because her mother took off with her]I had to fight for her for months in court], and that really hurt me so bad. I didn't know what to do with my life. Sure, he can lose weight with his kids around, it is not hard to do. He's big because his metabolism is probably screwed up, so thus, it'll take some time for him to drop all those pounds. Can he do it? Yes, he can, and I believe he can because I've been big as well - and with the right amount of work/exercise, you can drop weight fast and keep it off.

So, thus, unless he was a bad parent - such as, doing drugs, then I can see why the judge took his kids away, but since he wasn't, it is not right to do that.

Yup, its ridiculous as to what judges are capable of doing these days. They should have given him some hope - in terms of losing weight.
  8. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

Personally, I think he should be given more time to lose, he's already lost 150 pounds, so I'm sure he'll be able to lose more until he's at an okay weight.
  9. Martyn

@cpvr
    You're missing what I said..
    These kids have quite severe special needs & they need help with them.
    If their dad can't do it when they need it, there could be quite a big problem with that.

Yes, it may be quite bad for the dad.. since they are being taken away.
    But unfortunately, it comes to that sometimes.

The special needs are quite severe, so they need acquit care.
    Dawnshadow likes this.
  10. cpvr

Well, one of my mom's best friend growing up had a special needs child. The doctors said he wouldn't live past 10. He's 18 now. There's a lot of programs and helpers out there that can help parents with special needs children. It's not like its something that you'll have to deal with on your own. You can hire a 24 hour nurse and everything else.
  11. Martyn

@cpvr
    I do have special needs myself, so I do know what can be done.
    Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard for people who are overweight to get help when they need it.

I'm just not going to try put my point across anymore, so yeah.
  12. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

My dad's overweight as well and my mom's a cripple who walks the Earth with one leg since the day she was born. That didn't stop them from successfully raising me and my autistic little brother. This kind of judge could have taken them away from us if they found out about us.
    cpvr and Micky like this.
  13. Michi

Michi Beware: Insane Admin Administrator

As someone who is close to being 400lbs I think I have the right to say that is bullshit. Weight does NOT mean you are incapable of handling special needed children. Hell I took care of my sister's four kids for hours on end like I was their mother and they had special needs to. Mostly asthma but still... I had to use the nebulizer on them and all. Its called having a fucking thyroid problem. Its a medical condition. With this reasoning its like saying a mentally disabled person can't raised kids either. So let's take their's away too.

And the foster care system? Don't even get me started. I was in a special needed program where we had many foster kids who was there for being raped, abused, or had something horrible done to them while in foster care. I knew a kid that has been though 10 foster homes where he had been raped in every one. Those kids are not better off. They need to be returned to their father.
    Micky, cpvr, Dyl and 1 other person like this.
  14. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

Weight should not be the sole reason for taking away someone's kids. Heck KIDS ARE THE REASON MANY MOTHERS ARE OVERWEIGHT TO BEGIN WITH!

As for fathers, this is just retarded. If they could prove that the kids aren't getting what they need because he is disabled by his weight that's one thing but 300 some pounds? I've got people in my family bigger than that who could kick some butt. I mean seriously!
  15. cpvr

Exactly. My papa[my grandpa] is a lot bigger than me and if you try to knock him, he'll knock you out. We call him the OG of the family because he really raised a lot us men to know how to fight, without him, I don't think I'd know a lot of things that I do now.

And plus, moms are overweight because of pregnancy, I agree, and I can't believe this shit because it's so ridiculous. I've never seen a case like this in the United States because they care about family.
  16. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

Also, what about women(as @Michi pointed out) who have health problems? It's not like they're stuffing their faces, and even if they are ITS THEIR CHOICE. And unless it is truly affecting the kids health they have no right to say a word about it.
  17. cpvr

See, its so wrong for them to do this. You can't tell someone that they can't raise their own kids because they're overweight.

Your parents are wonderful!

It's like telling the President he can't have speeches anymore - its ridiculous, and I highly doubt anything like this would go in The United States, but if anyone has heard about a similar story to this, let us know.