Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown to well over 212k posts and almost 5k members. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Are you ready for the return of Teripets?
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

Carbon Monoxide! What to do? What to get? Who to call?

Discussion in 'Health' started by santamynana, Mar 31, 2012.

1. santamynana

santamynana Retired Moderato Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

This morning our carbon monoxide alarm went off, we found out that the batteries were running low but it gave us a really right scare and I wanted to write this to show you all what to do if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off as we didn't no what to do and if you don't have an alarm please don't be stupid, keep you and your kids safe and go out and get an alarm

All information is taken from
    http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com/53/Carbon_monoxide_detector_goes_off

What to do if your Carbon Monoxide Detector goes off

What to do and who to you call when your carbon monoxide detector goes into alarm?

The manufacturer of First Alert, the leading brand of carbon monoxide detectors, recommends the following if the alarm goes off:
    1. Turn off appliances, or other sources of combustion at once.
    2. Immediately get fresh air into the premises by opening doors and windows.
    3. Call a qualified technician and have the problem fixed before restarting appliances.
    4. If anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, vomiting, call the fire department and immediately move to a location that has fresh air.
    5. Do a head count to be sure all persons are accounted for.
    6. Do not re-enter the premises until it has been aired out and the problem corrected.
    To identify the source/s of carbon monoxide, have a professional check the following :

Gas or oil furnaces are frequently the source of carbon monoxide leaks. Measure concentrations of carbon monoxide in flue gases. Check all connections to flue pipes and venting systems for cracks, gaps, rust, corrosion or debris. Check the filters and filtering systems for dirt and blockages. Check the combustion chamber and heat exchanger for cracks, holes, metal fatigue or corrosion.

Check furnace flame, burners and ignition systems. A predominately yellow, flat, lazy-looking flame in a natural gas furnace indicates fuel is not burning efficiently and is thus releasing higher than usual levels of carbon monoxide. Oil furnaces with a similar problem produce an 'oil' odor, but remember you can't smell, see or taste carbon monoxide.

Chimneys and venting systems must be carefully checked for blockages caused by debris, animal nests, cracks, holes or cave-ins. A blocked chimney or venting system can force dangerous gases back into your home.

Venting and fan systems on all fuel burning appliances must be inspected for proper installation to assure carbon monoxide is vented out rather than in. Don't forget gas water heaters, clothes dryers, space heaters or wood burning stoves.

Inspect fireplaces for blocked or bent chimneys or flues, soot and debris or holes in the chimney that could release carbon monoxide exhaust back into the home.

Stove pilot lights in a closed-up home can be a source of carbon monoxide build-up if not operating properly because they are not vented to the outside. Check to be sure they are operating properly.
    Fireplace pilot lights can also produce carbon monoxide and should be checked regularly.
    Never burn charcoal inside no matter how much you want to recapture summer and never use your gas stove as a heater. Keep the oven door closed and use it for cooking only.

Never leave a car running in an attached garage even if the garage door is open.

Taking time to understand the characteristics of carbon monoxide and how Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) listed carbon monoxide detectors work could save your life.

According to UL Standard 2034, home carbon monoxide detectors must sound a warning before carbon monoxide levels reach 100 parts per million over 90 minutes, 200 parts per million over 35 minutes or 400 parts per million over 15 minutes. The standard requires the alarm must sound before an average, heathy adult begins to experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The warning provides time to evacuate the premises.

Now tha ks for reading this but once again do not be stupid and please be safe, go out and buy a carbon monoxide alarm TODAY and if the alarm goes off call the fire brigade immediately.
    Big Dan and Panda! like this.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Thanks for this very insightful post, James. I'm sure it'll help a lot of users.
  3. Earth

Earth Approved Artist Junior Programmer Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

I've been meaning to get one for a while. I don't have any of your 'usual' appliances that tend to cause problems but I don't want to risk it. Thanks for the reminder and info :)
  4. santamynana

santamynana Retired Moderato Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

@cpvr no problem

@Earth you should deffinatly get one, do you have any source of gas in the house, if you do you can be at risk, im not sure about non gas stuff
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  5. Earth

Earth Approved Artist Junior Programmer Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

The only gas thing I can think of is the cooker. Ill get it sorted :)
  6. Drea

Drea Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

We don't have any gas-powered anything in our house but it is still important to have one. I really don't know why we don't. : ( I had a friend get sick from this before and it is not good at all.
  7. santamynana

@Drea yeah i bet it's really horrible the CO poisoning
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  8. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Being a certified firefighter, I agree, having a carbon monoxide alarm as well as a smoke alarm is vital. Check with you local laws too, because in some areas/states, by law, you must have atleast a smoke detector!

If you have wood burning or coal stoves for heating, it's a very, very good idea to have both of these alarms as well!
  9. Toxic Rainbow Kisses

Toxic Rainbow Kisses Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Thank you for all this information!
    I have never been in a situation like that, but I remember in school. The only taught you about Fires really. (Grade school)
  10. Hituro

Hituro VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

I think our CO detector came with an instruction sheet a lot like that. It's very important to site it in the right place. Too close to the possible source and it will go off all the time incorrectly (or could do), too far and it won't alert you in time. I got one with a digital display to show current and recent levels, so I could know if there had been a spike when I wasn't there.
  11. Stakie

Stakie New Member VPL Member

We are looking to buy a new house. I will have to put that on my check list! Thanks!
  12. santamynana

Thought I'd give this a little bump (although it's stickied) I want to keep people notified about this.
  13. santamynana

I suggest these videos to be watched

and

These were created for The Dominic Rodger Trust - Stacy Rodgers who has been campaigning ever since her sons death.