1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Dad shoots daughters laptop over facebook post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joy, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    This dad is crazy... but really, we need more parents like him in this country. Just read:

http://mashable.com/2012/02/09/dad-shoots-laptop-facebook/

For a daughter who seems so disrespectful... and after what everyone in her life seem to be doing for her... yeah I think she deserves it. >___>​

2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Ya, if your disrespecting your parents on the web - then its basically the same as doing it in person. If her parents brought the laptop, then of course, you need to abide by their rules.

I don't think I would have gone that far to shooting the laptop, you can easily break out by throwing it against the wall, or out the window. Whichever works best.

3. Kiara

Kiara Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    I saw this yesterday and I think it's kind of funny. I also believe what he did was justified. He said he'd shoot the laptop if she did something like that again, and he followed through with his threat.

There are a lot of people in the comments and on tumblr who think that it was COMPLETELY TERRIBLE and that he was a bad, crazy parent. I don't really get why people think that. It's not like he threatened to harm her in any way, just took away the stuff that she didn't deserve and told her she had to buy it herself.

4. amber

amber New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Serves her right, she's a disrespectful little brat. I'm a teenager but I don't act like that and I can't stand people that do. Too many people these days, especially kids and teens, make their iPhones and computers their main priority in life. It's pitiful.

5. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Those are most likely the same people who would post something disrespectful towards their parents on facebook.

6. Encode

Encode Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    The response seems childish to me. I don't see the point, nor expect it to fix any of the problems this family seems to have.

Corzeir likes this.
  7. Jared

Jared Da Crazy One VPL Member

Reputations:
    Our local news actually featured this story today. To me, I think it's stupid what the Dad did. He could've been smarter and just take it away from here, hide it, lock it away, whatever. He paid for the laptop, right? Well, now you'll have to deal with a child that will either keep asking for another computer or just go to the library and keep on ranting about their parents.

If I was here, I wouldn't have even friended my parents/Dad on Facebook if they're that temperamental. Block them, even. What I post online should be my own personal business. So what if she was ranting about her parents? Maybe she had nobody else to talk about it to? Facebook is basically like a soapbox--and parents shouldn't even get involved.

Just my two cents.

8. Addiction

Addiction Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Encode She tried to bash/humiliate her family publicly so he showed her how it feels to have it done. I'd say that is a helpful fix to a bratty child. Showing them exactly how hurtful it can be.

@Jared I also don't like how the laptop was disposed of, but he said he worked in IT (hinting it wouldn't matter if she had friended him or not since even a private post didn't keep it hidden).

Someone had mentioned how he could have cleaned up the laptop and donated it to someone who needed it and I agree; however sometimes when you're that upset over something you don't necessarily think rationally.

Do I think this was the BEST way to go about it? No, but it will definitely be affective. He does seem like a hard dad and a tough one to please but she is definitely spoiled if she complains about that minimal amount of chores. It probably takes away half an hour of her day (if that). And since when is going to bed at 10pm a bad thing? You DO have school the next day.

Iy yi yi.

9. blueeyes

blueeyes New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well I don't know if I would have gone quite so far but I do believe he is justified. Disrespect is disrespect, no matter which venue it comes from.

10. Manic

Manic Banned Banned

Reputations:
    He made the video for her, but destroyed her laptop. Okay so how exactly does she watch it?

11. Arj

Arj Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    That's the best thing I've seen in a while. I know a lot of people my age and a few years younger even who should be old enough to have the sense not to whine and moan about how bad they have it when they have virtually no chores (sweeping and wiping counters must be so taxing), no work, and no responsibilities, but they don't. I agree with @Addiction that it could've been donated or something, but I still think the father acted appropriately. He owned the laptop, he paid for it, it was pretty much his.

Destroying it with a .45? Not completely necessary. I mean, it's gone, so she can't try to sweet talk it out of him, and there are other ways it could've left, but it's a pretty great way of putting his point across. He said it himself he already thought she was being some amount of disrespectful and whiny about wanting things and never wanting to work to get them, and shooting it up was kind of like saying, "Look. I love you so much, I bought this expensive thing for you. And I just spent another 130 dollars on it yesterday, even though I think you should work so you could do it yourself. Because that would teach you some responsibility. You have not learned any responsibility, and you are not taking me seriously. You will learn responsibility. You will take me seriously."

Personally, I know a lot of kids who could benefit from their dad thinking like this. And I would whine and cry if my dad came in my room, took my computer out into the yard, and took the shotgun to it. But I also know if he decided to do that, it would be because I deserved it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  12. que

que Supporter VPL Supporter Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Her dad warned her previously, and he stuck to his word.
    I don't think that's bad at all.
    She sounds like she was a spoiled brat.

However, if my kid ever said that they wanted to be paid for their chores and were being over worked...
    I'd pay them, but then I'd make them pay for their rent, their food, their clothes, the internet they use, the laundry- all that good stuff.

I think that guy is an awesome parent.

13. Jinxx

Jinxx Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I agree with @Bexxy

She was being spoiled. He had just upgraded her computer and she went and bashed her parents. She was 15. He said it in the video and she was swearing about her parents more than I would ever dare.

She brought this on herself. I hope she realizes that she needs to grow up.

14. Kitei

Kitei Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Dewd, someone needs to do that to my sister's computer. 8|

She totally deserved it, and since her dad was the one who bought the computer, paid for all its upgrades, so on so forth, I reckon he was within his rights to shoot the thing. Would certainly have taught her a lesson, I'm sure.

15. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Are you serious? You're all insane (no offense), you don't need to break something perfectly good, they could've donated it to charity, but as hicks seem to do, shooting stuff works best...

Corzeir likes this.
  16. que

Reputations:

If you have to put "no offense" before or after something- it's because you know it's offensive. Don't bother.
    Her father made a promise to her. He said the next time she does something that he told her not to, he'd shoot her laptop.
    He held through with his word. That's a good parent.

I'm not a hick, but if I said I was going to do something like that- I'd hold true to my word.

One computer not being donated isn't gonna make or break an entire charity.
    HE bought the computer for HIS daughter.
    HE put HIS hard-earned money into it.

He should be able to do WHAT HE WANTS with it- even if it IS shooting it.

Have you ever seen the "will it blend" guy?
    Go look that up, and preach about charity to him.

[video=youtube;lAl28d6tbko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko[/video]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  17. tldr

Reputations:
    I called the father in the video a hick, I didn't realise you shot a laptop recently. Sorry I don't think violence is a proper way to do things, he could've taken it away, he didn't need to shoot it, nor post the video to YouTube...I don't even see why he did post it on YouTube.

Corzeir likes this.
  18. que

Reputations:
    He did it to prove a point to other spoiled rotten little brats out there.
    I didn't shoot a laptop recently, but I have been to a shooting range recently and shot some targets.
    Is a shooting range wrong? Perhaps I should have donated the targets to charity...

How is shooting a laptop... violent? Did it scream when he shot it? Was there blood, guts, gore, swearing?
    I don't see any violence in that video.

I see a very stern father who held true to his word.
    I am 150% positive he's tried taking it away, grounding her, whatever else.
    He got to the point where enough was enough... It was obviously an extreme case, and she very well deserved it.

19. Drea

Drea Approved Writer Approved Writer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Girl, you're 15. It's called having responsibilities. Your parents pay you by keeping you fed and getting you nice things. Lol...

However... The father's response is not appropriate in ONE way, in my opinion. Comparing the daughter's "easy" life to his own as a child is not an acceptable analogy, as you (again, just my opinion) should never compare your own child to yourself or anyone else. Yes, he may have had to work more when he was young, but I don't believe in ever comparing your child to yourself or to anyone else in order to get a point across. He can say that her life is easy, but as soon as you compare somebody to somebody else, you remove the fact that they are an individual, and are different. Though in his case it may have been justifiable, I still would not do that to my child, I don't think.

I don't mind him shooting the laptop though.
    Also, @tldr: Wow, calling him a hick. Nice. I'd call him a good parent, but whatever.

20. tldr

Reputations:
    Guns are violent, shooting things is violence, "intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment or deprivation." I'm not going to comment, I don't think she deserved a laptop, but I don't think making a YouTube video of shooting it is mature at all or good parenting. I don't even believe private citizens even have business owning guns, too much death and murder comes from them.

Alas, I suppose my parents didn't shoot enough things in front of me when I was a child...

And don't bother responding to this, I have no interest in arguing over something pointless.

Corzeir likes this.