Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Development forums - should I? When? What do I share?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Zrr, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Zrr

Zrr New Member VPL Member

(my L key is sticky and im in a rush, sorry for missing Ls)

I've been wondering this for a little bit now. The only rea reason I can think of opening a deveopment type forum is to get ideas and feedback on a site, maybe to help find volunteers or staff willing to help out. But when is the right time to start something like that? Is there ever a right time?

For example, on the site I'm coding, I've gotten a login system done and a basic ayout but that's about it. As soon as I'm finished coding something for work, I plan to get right back at it, but unfortunately I've had to put it on hold for now. If I have every intention of sticking with this project, is that too soon to open up development forums?

And how much information do you actually put out there? I'm not saying my ideas are totally original, but I like to think they're at least a little bit original. How much is safe to share?

I should note that I have absolutely no intentions of asking for any sort of money - donations, 'pre-alpha' accounts or whatever. It would be purely for discussion, idea sharing and updates.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. kami

kami Moderator Moderator

You can start a development forum whenever. It's a free (if you go the free route) and easy way to organize your ideas, WIPs, art, writing, etc. I wouldn't start advertising/asking for help until you have a lot of what you want done (aka - planning). You're not going to find many people willing to work for you if you have no direction.

If you'd like, you can check out my guide here: http://www.virtualpetlist.com/showthread.php/8161-Kami-s-How-to-Get-Started-Guide

There are other helpful guides on the forum as well that hold a lot of useful information.
    cpvr likes this.
  3. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I'd say go for it as @kami has posted. It gives users the chance to talk about your site, give your ideas, and everything else. One thing though, post sneak peaks of your game on the dev forums, and users like it, ask them to spread them as well. A dev forum can really help set your site up for success in the long run - especially once it opens because you've built the fan base on the dev forums.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013