1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Guest,

Over the next few days there may be some slight changes to VPL. If you see something going on don't be alarmed we most likely know about it! If you have any troubles please contact Evolution.

Happy Holidays
    The VPL Staff
  3. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL's sister site the virtual pets blog

Do coders ever do work for free?

Discussion in 'Programming General' started by Zrr, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Zrr

Zrr Growing Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Before I give up on this whole learning php thing, I'm wondering.. do coders ever work for free?
    My entire goal with what I'm making is to make something that doesn't have a cash shop/upgraded accounts/any need to spend money. But hiring staff that are paid in real money would kind of ruin that idea.

Another question is, how do you make it easier on coders? Do you type up everything exactly how you want it to be, do all the layout so they know what you're looking for?

Or am I better off trying to do it all myself?

2. Citadel

Citadel Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Your better off doing it yourself, some people do it for free, but rarely. Either because your a good friend, they do not charge for some reason or another or other ideas. Sadly, people invest their time and want money back, and thats fair enough. It takes time and they would like money for the time given. For some people it is their jobs or their side job. Also, doing it for free you can run into problems and its best to just do it yourself and avoid problems :p

3. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Because there's plenty of work for Coders, most will not work for free. I have to pay the bills and this is how I do it so I can't be taking on free projects.

4. Kiara

Kiara Superb Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    Coding is a very time consuming and advanced task if you want things done right. I doubt you'll have much luck finding someone to waste hours upon hours of their time for absolutely nothing in return.

Gabby likes this.
  5. Tyrant

Tyrant Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't have time or could justify working on a project for free; programming takes time and not many programmers have that time to spare for nothing in return. For a lot of programmers (even if its part-time) it just isn't an option to spend your time working hard for no money, as you have to turn away other projects which would pay you.
    Keep going with learning it, it's a wonderful skill to have and very enjoyable too!

6. Nebula

Nebula Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    Besides that it is a very time consuming job, there are also already tons of free scripts sitting on the internet, for instance the php coding for a simple login system. If you want something custom made, to me it's nothing but fair that the programmer charges a fee for it.

If you're looking for free scripts, try the devnetwork: http://forums.devnetwork.net/. And I know that @design1onlinedesign1online is giving away a full game package for free once her FB hits the 850 fans (http://www.facebook.com/design1online).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    design1online likes this.
  7. bigdude

bigdude Growing Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I never asked for any money on Nutrinopets. But I was not hired as a programmer. I did some programming work and probably ended up doing more than I imagined I would, but I didn't care that I was not being paid. It was a hobby and programming will probably always be a hobby for me. I don't look at myself and say 'wow, I should be paid' for everything I do. Granted, I was 16-18 at the time and money wasn't all that important to me.

I don't envision myself working for another website again. I loved what I did but a certain part of me felt restricted and disrespected, to an extent, and I don't need that. If I would get back into the industry, it would be creating my own site, programming it from the ground up. I would say you're better off going that route, but it certainly is not an easy task and probably the number one reason why most sites never make it too far off the ground.

cpvr likes this.
  8. Grotesque

Grotesque Pet Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    Do plumbers ever work for free? Do <put in profession here> ever work for free?

Micky, Lewis, Citadel and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lewis

Lewis Corepets owner Moderator VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Member

Reputations:
    Some coders might work for free but they would probably be doing it to learn. Their code wouldn't be the best and you would waste time having to pay another coder to fix the problems.

Micky, Gabby, Myztacia and 2 others like this.
  10. Moof

Moof Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I worked for free when I was a beginner because the quality was lacking due to inexperience... but sometimes free scripts from greenhorns like that are more of a curse than a gift. ^^;

11. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    In my experiences, I haven't seen a coder work for free unless they're your best friend or something and you're exchanging art with them.

12. judda

judda Bringer of Awesome Moderator Pet Game Owner Programming Moderator

Reputations:
    I use to code at Cyopets ... 6 or so years ago now, for free. At that time like many of the other people mentioned here, I was learning. But then what left a bad taste in my mouth was when the other owner was using all of the funds on his gambling and other habits rather than giving it back to the site which I was planning on doing with the money.

~judda

13. design1online

design1online Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I don't work for free unless I own part of the game and will be getting a % profits out of the deal. Do you have a full time job? How would you feel if someone walked up to you and asked you to provide your all your time and hard work for free? There's a reason programmers tend to end up with 6 digit salaries -- programming isn't easy and a highly skilled fast programmer is hard to come by.

14. Zrr

Zrr Growing Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I feel like if I could draw this would be easier :p
    At any rate, I've stuck with it. It does seem like a useful skill to have, even just for freelancing. So hopefully this goes well.

Thanks all for replies.

15. Micky

Micky Always online, ping me! [Mythflow] Moderator VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    There's no free lunch.

design1online and judda like this.