1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Do you bother with referral systems?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by cpvr, Nov 22, 2011.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    So, I was curious, how many people here actually make an effort to use the referral systems on pet sites? I know I sometimes use them. To see how many referrals I can get from this site. Thus, bringing in members to the pet site that I use a referral link for. I know in the past I used to go all out and use my referral links in signatures on forums around the web.

How about you? Do you bother with referral systems, or not really? If you don't, do you find it difficult to refer or do you just send your friends the link of the pet site without using your referral link?

Let's share our thoughts on this subject.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Approved Writer VPL Member Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Honestly if the prizes are worth it, I refer. Otherwise it's not worth the hassle to me. A lot of times trying to convince my friends is hard, and the friends that will join, usually already have.

3. Cirque

Cirque New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    When I'm at a friend's house or something, usually I'll be like "oh hey... come join this site it's so fun," and just get them to sign up. I don't bother with getting my link.

4. UlyssesBlue

UlyssesBlue New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    If the rewards are decent I'll make the effort. I don't try to hide it with a falsly brilliant review though, as I consider this deceptive. I'll outright offer to pay people for the referrals, then let them decide for themselves whether they like the site or not.

Likewise, when someone recommends a site to me I consider it a bit insulting if they offer with their enthusiastic recommendation a referral link, as this suggests to me that they have an alterior motive and I'm nothing more than a cash cow to them.

However, if someone recommends a site to me without any such referral link, and I am sufficiently convinced by it, then when signing up I'll put their username in the referral box if I know it because I think their efforts deserve whatever rewards are offered.

5. NyctiCorax

NyctiCorax New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Yeah if there's decent rewards. But on the other side I don't wanna look cheapo and have a link on every forum I go on >.>

6. Don Relentless

Don Relentless Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Ive never bothered with referrals - ever. I know they are a big hit for alot of popular people like cpvr etc, but myself personally.. I find them a waste of time.

7. Johnny

Johnny New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I never bother with referrals. None of my rl friends are interested much in the internet and I don't really like to advertise.

8. Ardy

Ardy Member VPL Member Approved Artist

Reputations:
    The items from referral point shops are always ridiculously unobtainable and make it seem impossible looking at having to refer 50 people just to get 'this' useless item. Advertising to my friends is also lame.

9. cpvr

Reputations:
    What do you mean by paying for referrals? Such as, paying real cash for them? How much would you charge for a referral then? I've never tried that concept before and it sounds interesting.

10. NyctiCorax

Reputations:
    I think it's paying with site currency mainly. I've seen this happening a lot, especially when there's referral contests going on with good prizes for the top 3 referrers. People will then pay users from other sites to sign up, give them items, or hold some kind of raffle.
    I've never heard about people paying rl cash for referrals actually.

11. UlyssesBlue

Reputations:
    @cpvr
    Generally I'll advertise on another game site, and offer to pay people with currency or items of the game I'm advertising on, or trade referrals. I won't use real money, though, and I've never heard of it happening.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  12. cpvr

Reputations:
    Ahh. I've seen that a lot on Furry-paws, what other sites have you seen this occur on? Ya, I agree, it just seems like a desperate attempt to get referrals(buying them) because you never know if those people will stick around. I just know there's a lot of different creative ways to build referrals - like writing reviews, guides, and getting them published on fan sites of those particular games, then you could also have the link in your signature.

The more you spread out your link, the more exposure it'll receive and in the end, the long term results will help you out a lot. I remember doing this before on the pet sites that I did play on, and my referral count would go up a lot every month because of how well spread the link was.

13. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    There's one site out of Marapets and Neopets, I can't remember which, but one of their referral things has like refer 500 people and get this (item) and its like WTF? 500 people? 0_0

14. NyctiCorax

Reputations:
    Well there's actually people who get that much at some sites.

I think the main incentive for people to bribe others into joining is the rewards for certain high amount of referrals, or referral contests with high valued items.
    I recall several threads being made on aywas for other sites because some referral contest was going on.

15. UlyssesBlue

Reputations:
    @cpvr
    Any site that doesn't specifically ban mentioning or linking to other games tends to have players advertising referral links, with many offering to pay in some form. Horseland used to have it in huge quantities until they put such a ban in place. Generally if such a ban exists though, the players tend to be fairly law abiding and you don't see it.

16. Mezzra

Mezzra Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Marapets has a reward of up to 1,500 referrals, which has been reached by nine people excluding Ian. cpvr has referred 3,632 people to Marapets, if it's the same person as here :D

http://www.marapets.com/highscores.php?id=7

17. santamynana

santamynana CEO of MoonFire Gaming LTD VPL Member Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Mezzra yes it is

18. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Member VPL Member Approved Artist

Reputations:
    It depends. Referral systems, if done right, can get you alot of traffic for your site. Unfortunately it's like a 2 sided coin. The people can be either good players....... or the really annoying ones that aren't even worth having on your site (as in 'OMGIWANTZYERPETZNOAWGIVEEETTOMEEEEEEBECUZYOOOLUFFMEEEEDATMUCHKTHNX!!!!' people). I remember Digis did their invites with a 'hey, email me and I might let you in.' But it doesn't matter what you do in most cases. The 'idiots' of society will always find your site..... eventually!

19. cpvr

Reputations:
    I'm maxed out on referrals there. I don't refer any more users unless someone comes across my link somewhere on the net. Most of Laimay's referrals more than likely came from their advertising campaigns. Ian has a lot as well, but he isn't included on the list.

20. Evolution

Evolution Administrator Administrator Approved Artist VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    I don't really use them. On certain sites I use them but for the most I don't. I just tell people to join here. :)