Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

Enclosing code in quotes.

Discussion in 'Programming General' started by SpotOnTech, Jun 28, 2012.

1. SpotOnTech

SpotOnTech New Member VPL Member

While working on my newest client's site I noticed that most (almost all) of the code I saw in the files was formatted like this:
    PHP:
    if($_POST[attribute]
    function();

if(!
    $_POST[attribute]
    function();
    No braces, no quotes. Although somewhat functional, there were more errors when I set the ini to display all errors than I care to mention. As I closed tags, removed print and changed it to echo I noted that all the errors cleared out. This is truly a sign of not only a beginning programmer, but a lazy one as well. Quotes are your friend, as are braces (and include files). 153 files in the root with no include files. Quite frustrating to say the least.

Secondary rant: indenting. Indent your code, people. It makes going back over your code at a later date and makes your (or the next programmer's) life much easier.

Yet another rant: comments. Comments are your friend.

Yep, one more: non-escaped $_GET and $_POST. $_GET is fine if you HAVE to make the URL show data (user profiles and search results are a good example), but $_POST is best. It's harder to hijack, looks nicer when the whole site isn't set with ?action and ?id tags on the end of the URL.

Source: 16 years as a programmer in Python, RoR, PHP/MySQL/MySQLi, ASSEMBLY, PERL, HTML/XHTML, CSS, Java, Javascript and BASIC (yes, BASIC).
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Avalanche likes this.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Avalanche

Avalanche VPL Supporter VPL Supporter

I've only been programming for a little over four years. And I'll admit I'm self taught. But it was interesting to see the turning point where I felt as though I was no longer a newbie at programming. When I started fixing code that was terrible. I not only could recognize it, I could fix it. When I first realized that it was a big deal and I was so proud that I was better at someone else in programming.

Now, I wish all programmer's were perfect gods so I wouldn't have to fix all their dumbass mistakes. >.> Amazing how the times change.
  3. ThomasMosey

ThomasMosey Member VPL Member

I've been programming a little over 6 years now, and to all the people who code like the example given in the OP:

[​IMG]

It just simply should not be done, especially if it's for commercial purposes.
  4. SpotOnTech

Here's a snippet of code from the contact form that I haven't gone over yet. By the time you read this, it'll be fixed since it's open in Notepad++, but this is as it stands as of posting:

PHP:
    <?php
    $loggedin
    =notnecessary;
    include 
    "header.php";

if(isset(
    $_GET['email'])){
    $name=$_POST['name'];
    $subject=$_POST['subject'];
    $emailaddy=$_POST['emailaddy'];
    $email=$_POST['email'];

$to="[REDACTED]";
    $subject "Contact Form";
    $body "From: $name\nSubject: $subject\nEmail Address: $emailaddy\n\n

$email";
    $from_header="From: [REDACTED]";
    mail($to,$subject,$body,$from_header);

print 
    "Email successfully sent.";
    include 
    "footer.php";
    exit;
    }

print 
    "<form method=post action=contact.php?email=yes>
    Your Name: <input type=text name=name><br>
    Your Email: <input type=text name=emailaddy><br>
    Subject: <input type=text name=subject><br>
    <textarea rows=20 cols=30 name=email>Email content here.</textarea><br>
    <input type=submit name=submit value='Send Email'></form>"
    ;

include 
    "footer.php";
    ?>
    Oh, and no, it was not indented. Personally I enclose all my functions with parentheses to make it explicit. aka: echo("foo"); include("foo"); and I don't use print for anything.
  5. judda

judda Bringer of Awesome Moderator Programming Moderator

Not only will it throw warning, but it also executes a lot slower (approximately 4x).

Speed test ... http://lnked.me/x9idd

isset / empty should be used instead of forcing a hard read of the variable (i.e. isset($_POST['foo']) instead of $_POST['foo']). This is just wrong ...

~judda
  6. SpotOnTech

...and that's exactly what I'm running into with over 20k lines of code in this site. I should have charged my per/hr rate instead of a flat fee.

Edit: Also, since there are multiple arrays being passed, I usually cross-check it since say, if(isset($_GET['foo']) && $_GET['foo'] == "bar"). I'm not sure who the coders were of this site, but I'd like to hit them with my old Windows 3.11 manual.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012