Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Green Tea Prevents Radiation Damage

Discussion in 'Health' started by Claws, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Claws

Claws Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Green tea contains potent antioxidant catechins and polyphenols that help prevent inflammation, cancer, heart disease and other chronic diseases. Now research reports that a green tea polyphenol extract may one of the most powerful free radical scavengers. It found that the extract can help protect cells from DNA induced radiation damage. Antioxidants such as those found in green tea neutralize harmful free radicals (toxic byproducts of metabolic functions) and protect against oxidative damage.

Source: http://blog.progressivehealth.com/green_tea_prevents_radiation_damage.html

Fun fact: When America nuked Japan in WWII, those in the path of radiation who regularly drank green tea suffered greatly reduced health effects than those who did not regularly drink green tea. This prompted many to wonder "what is the deal with green tea", then studies moved forward on the radiation prevention benefits of drinking green tea.

Do you drink green tea?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Icy

Icy Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    ...I do now.
  3. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    I've been drinking green tea for a few years now.
    I'm a fan of the "Lipton brand" - I drink their green tea. :)
    I found that drinking green tea can also give you more energy - and boast your metabolism, especially if you're working hard and trying to get up. I'd say its better than drinking some soda. xD

It's just not so tasty though unless you buy the other flavors.
  4. Agape

Agape New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I drink organic green tea, but I need to force myself to do it every day from now on, since I tend to forget about it a few days out of the week. I also like pau d'arco tea (tree bark in a bag, delicious.), and white tea when I can find it, since its the least processed of the true teas, but its also more expensive. I hear green tea is also good for weight loss, I see fitness-minded people using green tea products a lot.
  5. Tantra

Tantra New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Types of seaweed does too, like sushi, kelp...

Kelp is part of my thyroid regimen every morning and I drink green tea to help my thryroid and metabolism.
  6. Claws

Claws Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    That's a totally different scenario, but true. Kelp, seaweed, etc, does protect your thyroid with potassium iodide by filling up your thyroid and leaving no room for radioactive iodine to fill up in the thyroid where it concentrates and gives you cancer.

Green tea is a different kind of protection, it's an overall protection of the cells throughout your body.

cpvr- That Lipton stuff, I tried drinking that and it hurts my insides worse than soda does. Not sure why that is. Just like sodas though, if you look at the ingredients you'll see the main ingredient behind water is high fructose corn syrup. You'll also find that is has the food coloring of Yellow 5 (banned in many countries, but not the US) and Blue 1, which are known to contribute to cancers (just as the consumption of any unnatural substance does). This is assuming the green tea is the bottled stuff.

Agape- That's awesome. Organic is the best way to go. I got a few different organic teas in my cupboard right now, drink them daily now.
  7. cpvr

Reputations:
    I'm not sure why the Lipton stuff hurts your stomach so bad.

I only drink it because of this and because its healthy. I only drink the diet kind.

8. Shole

Shole New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Nope and i think i wont start because of that xD I mean its radiation no tea in the world will help you out XD
  9. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    ... Okay, while I have been drinking green tea as well as different other kinds of tea, I don't think green tea does that. Sorry, I just don't believe every single thing the internet tells me o_O I know that tea has a good handful of health benefits, but radiation prevention? That's a bit too much XD
  10. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    As a matter of fact, Lipton uses a lot of artificial leaves and preservatives in their tea. To be short, it's just a lot of bad crap.
    It doesn't surprise me that Lipton is bad for @Claws
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  11. cpvr

Reputations:
    Could you tell me what's so bad about the Diet kind though? What are the preservatives that are bad in it? I've been drinking it for years and never had any problems. I won't touch the regular kind with citrus though because that would give me heart-burn.
  12. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:

:p Does that help any?
  13. cpvr

Reputations:
    Ya, and aspartame is also is all diet sodas. It's the same thing as putting equal in your drinks. I'm not entirely worried about those side effects, but thanks for pointing that out to me.
  14. Jolly

Jolly Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    Cancer is one good side effect you will get from aspartame.
    And drinking regular green tea that has antioxidants witch prevent cancer.
    I just say drink the pure regular stuff. No lipton or nestle. Just drink green tea, is also helps prevent cavities.
  15. cpvr

Reputations:
    The regular packs of green tea?
  16. Jolly

Jolly Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    cpvr likes this.
  17. Claws

Claws Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    You should be worried about aspartame.

"Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death. A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain."

The heartburn mentioned in a previous post is due to a weakness of the esophageal sphincter. Strengthen that and you won't get heartburn.
  18. cpvr

Reputations:
    My heartburn is due to an hernia in my chest. So, I take medications to fight my heart burn, and if I want the heart burn gone, they can twist the hernia to the other side. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this procedure done or not, just now.

And here's some more information regarding Green tea.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism page 10
  19. Claws

Claws Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Ah, sorry for my assumption. Esophageal weakness just is a very common cause of heartburn, from getting worn down by soda, alcohol, or other harsh substances.
  20. cpvr

Reputations:
    Actually, a lot of people have it because they have a Hernia in their chest - and ultrasound would display that, especially if you've been dealing with heart burn for a while.
    And you can have the hernia reversed, but the heart burn can still come back a few years later.
    @Vermillion I've made the switch to green tea packets, instead of the Lipton bottles. It gives me a lot more energy.