1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

HABBO HOTEL: THE GREAT MUTE, Game cards stopped selling etc...

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by santamynana, Jun 17, 2012.

1. santamynana

santamynana CEO of MoonFire Gaming LTD Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    This week, Habbo hotel was forced to mute all conversations on site due to a bad press report and they muted all conversations so they could solve the problem. Tesco, WH Smith and Game have stopped selling there virtual currency cards due to these accusations but with this millions upon millions of loyal and proud users of Habbo Hotel came back and lit a single candle and stoot all around habbo alerting people. I can say I was one of them.

http://www.channel4.com/news/should-you-let-your-child-play-in-habbo-hotel

Thank you channel 4 for finally alerting us to stuff like this. There is some videos on site too

One users comment on the Guardians web edition said this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/14/habbo-hotel-private-equity-stake?newsfeed=true

2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    That's a whole lot of bad press.
    They should have know better - especially since they have small children playing on the site. Does it regulate with Coppa rules as well?

3. santamynana

santamynana CEO of MoonFire Gaming LTD Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    Yes it has to follow the coppa rules. Yes but for the last few months they have been drastically improving by stopping many of their money making schemes, retiring a lot of crap and focusing more on what the users want like public rooms etc

4. Hituro

Hituro Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    It's very hard for a site of that size to have active private moderation. The reports speak like they expect each message to be being read in real time, which is a pretty implausible suggestion for any site.

5. santamynana

Reputations:
    yup it is nearly impossible but ithink what they are going to try and find its a solution. possibly ban more words etc

6. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    @santamynana Ha I was watching the Channel4 news that night they had this report on. I was like :O But in all fairness I was on another site testing this same method out, and I went on as a 9yo lass and I had a guy asking me 'Is your body hot?' and I was like wow people really do that?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  7. santamynana

Reputations:
    yeah unfortunatly it happens and they are doing something to combat it so users will stay

Good for them :)

8. SpunkiSpirou

Reputations:
    @santamynana there was something else said on the channel4 report how some company who had a 13% share, (13% something) dropped their like business or whatnot with the company behind HH.

I never joined HH, I was too busy playing Neopets at the time.

9. SpunkiSpirou

Reputations:
    @santamynana there was something else said on the channel4 report how some company who had a 13% share, (13% something) dropped their like business or whatnot with the company behind HH.

I never joined HH, I was too busy playing Neopets at the time.

10. santamynana

Reputations:

Yep that's true, somebody had a 13% share and they have scrapped the shares, there is a video on the source. Habbo's giftcards have also been stopped selling in WH Smith, Tesco and Game

11. SpunkiSpirou

Reputations:
    Is that to do with the Channel4 report?

12. santamynana

Reputations:
    Yep, their all peed of with HH

13. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Did any other news outlets report anything on this?

14. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Stuff like this is just now getting news coverage? Wonder what they think happens on xbox live and PSN? How do they expect moderation to happen in real time? Really the only thing I would think they could do is have a report button, and if the message is against the rules ban the user.

15. santamynana

Reputations:
    Yup pretty much and actually they already have that system, but it can be improved in so many ways.

16. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Bwahahaha!! So Habbo is finally getting kicked in the rear for this? Well, it's true about what they say about the explicit sexual chatting they have in there. Kids and pedos can't control their mojo.

One time I went back there, someone gave me a private message that they would kill me that night. Really, I was getting a death threat on Habbo. It was pretty damn lulzy, and I was almost daring the guy to come at me.

17. santamynana

Reputations:
    To be honest I have never had anything said to that I can remember but Lol they just try to get on peoples nerves and they are finally doing something about it.

18. Hituro

Hituro Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    Sensationalist newspapers (which is most of them) really are not concerned with the realities of computer technology when it comes to stories such as this. Their cry is always "Something must be done!" (or "won't someone please think of the children"). Of course we have to do as much as we can to keep users safe, but we also have to do what is practical and possible, not impossible.

19. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Tried playing Habbo today.. And you know what? It's.. actually more fun when everyone's shut up. =w=

20. santamynana

Reputations:
    I agree, I've been at the mazes, but when theres 15 people in the room all trying to get rhough its annoying to not be able to show how annoyed you are without the death sign :p