Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Haven't made an avatar in a while, pelase look.

Discussion in 'Art/Writing General' started by Romany, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Romany

Romany New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    So I decided to make one, for fun.

Image belongs to Mutt-z.com.

mzpoundavatar.gif

Whatcha think? I haven't made an avatar in probably over a year :3
    -------
    And this one... Pretty odd, but I'm just mucking around a bit to see how it goes. Lets call this on an experiment: (the furry thing is mine, I drew it)

http://i46.tinypic.com/29okffb.gif <--Just follow the link, the image is too big in file size to be shown.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Martyn and Gabby like this.
  2. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    LOVE IT! You play mutt-z.com? How are they doing now?
  3. Romany

Reputations:
    I play it occasionally... Unfortunately, its dying... There are normally only about 10 users on at a time, and hardly anyone posts on the boards. Its sad really. I was an avid player a while ago while the boards were reasonably active, but then it closed and no one really came back. :/

Added another one. Not the best, but I'm just mucking around with Photoshop :)
  4. Gabby

Reputations:
    That's so sad! I mostly liked what Naomi did to it. Do you think the former owners destroyed the game and that's why nobody wants to come back?

& I like the first one more. It's so cute. It makes me want to pet it.
  5. Romany

Reputations:
    Agreed, the second one is a bit weird.. but its all about experimenting.

As for the game, I think the reason nobody comes on is because its not updated very much, and its not advertised. They have had the same layout for AGES, no new features have been released, and the admins only post in the news like once every 1-2 weeks... Possibly even less.
  6. Gabby

Reputations:
    wow. I had no idea it was that bad. I heard Naomi was taking good care of it :(

I signed up after Naomi took it over again. Does it really have the same layout it did before it closed? And the owner really deserts it?
    @Romany
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Romany

Reputations:
    The owners are around, and talk on the boards, but since no one is active, neither is she. She has managed to keep the site from going ferrel with spammers, that may be what some people might describe "taking good care of it" as. Its a bit sad, really.
    @Gabby
  8. Moonlight

Moonlight Approved Artist Web Designer Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I re-uploaded my old avatar tutorial - http://moikat.deviantart.com/#/d540tzo

If I ever make an avatar again, I'm making a new one. @_@ I don't feel like making avatars. Although I do have some very overdue work for Seri which involves avatars... T>T

Ok, as for critiquing it.

Let's start with the text. The text is kinda hard to read, and it feels as if it's not part of the avatar - I don't generally put it too far away from the avatar for this reason. The animation is a bit uneven too. Generally, I would use all capital letters with the font 04b03. I also tend to give the text a border to help make it stand out.

The black border is kind of plain, and boring. I find adding a white inner border set on overlay helps make the avatar look much better. I also find the shape is uneven - this is probably the illusion caused by the dog's ears. i normally don't use borders shaped like that for that reason. When I make borders, I honestly tend to click around randomly with the pen tool.

The background is very boring. The cyan doesn't suit the theme and doesn't go well with the deeper blue as a gradient. The deeper blue by itself would suit the image better - note the colour of the dog's eyes. Considering a lot of the background behind the dog is shown, it would be better to have a fancier background, otherwise it just seems quite plain for lack of better words.

I would consider stroking the dog (haha, that just sounds weird). What I mean by stroking here is no, not petting the dog, but adding a white 'border' around it. It might make it stand out more? Maybe maybe not. Borders set on overlay are quite good at helping the focus stand out.

Sorry for being harsh. :/
  9. Romany

Reputations:
    @Moonlight Heeyyy, new DA. Now I shall stalk your art, hehe.

You used to love making avatars, what turned you off them?
  10. Moonlight

Moonlight Approved Artist Web Designer Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Romany;; Takes so much time. T_T Homework. I can't really be bothered nowadays. Animating them is really tedious.
  11. Romany

Reputations:
    @Moonlight Yeah thats true. Especially the complicated ones... Stupid schoolwork haha
  12. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Stinky mo-minky Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    If they would open doors I would join up.
    I really like your first avatar, plus I want that dog sooo badly because it looks like my friend's dog in my avatar.
  13. Romany

Reputations:
  14. Deertrot

Deertrot New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    QvQ
    That is so cute!
    I like the background's shape and the flashing text~
  15. Romany

Reputations:
  16. baaaarkay

baaaarkay Banned Banned

Reputations:
    Love it Romany.

I know you guys don't see much in the way of improvements but the other owners left the site in quite a bad state. They actually went backwards and it makes me so sad because I choose them as they seemed a great candidate. She's doing what she can in the balance of university work and actual work so I think she is doing a great job! And as for the layout, it's not going to get a new layout for a long while because we like the way it is now. I don't mean to come across rude or anything, you know how you can't sense a tone online, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

If we had a forest artist we could have ALOT of that done, but unfortunately a lot of people let us down too.