1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Hey There!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tsurimae, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Tsurimae

Tsurimae New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. I'm an artist. Um....I'm looking for some long-term work eventually. I've been out of the art scene for about 6 months so I'm a little rusty, but I'm getting back into the groove now. I hope to make some artist friends here and possibly pick up a few art pointers.

I've worked for lots of sites. Most of them aren't even around anymore just because I've been an artist for so many years (about 8). But a few are still out there.

Not much else to say. :p

So, talk to you later!

2. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    Hey @Tsurimae. :) You need to get to 11 posts before you're able to post links, images, and mention people. In case you joined to just post your portfolio. Don't worry, we can get you there. <3

How are you doing today?

3. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    I'm doing okay. Just melting from the ridiculous heat outside :( How about you?

Anyways, thanks for letting me know about the posts rule. I'm sure I would have encountered that eventually since I was just about to try to get on the approved artists list. Haha.

4. Gabby

Reputations:
    Darn my horrible reflexes in responding to you. xD

& Yes! Pretty much the same status here. Where you live? I'm New York - I live on Long Island, actually.

Hahaha, our mod that accepts artists is actually out right now. She won't be back for a few days, so it might be a little bit of a wait anyway. Don't worry, it won't be too much longer. <3

How did you find out about VPL anyways?

5. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    I'm in VA. Not too far from New York.

I was on VPL a long time ago. Then it disappeared....and then returned....and disappeared again...and returned. Haha. I got a little frustrated with the site being hacked and stuff so I stayed away for a while which also coincided with me taking a break from working as an artist. Now I'm back and it appears there haven't been any problems here with hackers or whatnot, so that's good. :)

Gabby likes this.
  6. Gabby

Reputations:
    Cool!! :D

Well, I am SO happy we regained your trust back. :c *snugs* It's good you decided to join us again. We're much more stable and better than either, in my opinion ;) Though I believe I could be a little biased. xD
    <3 It's still nice to see you here.

7. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm glad to be back. It's ok if you're biased. It just means that you are proud of the place where you work. :)

I'm curious about the posting thing here. I think I read something that if I don't post here for a while my account could be deleted or something. Is that right? Or do I have it confused? I'm asking because next week I'm going to stay with some family and they don't have any internet at all (I'll probably die while I'm there because of it :p) and I don't want my account to get deleted or anything.

Gabby likes this.
  8. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forums! What made you become an artist? Were you born with the talent to draw?

9. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    I went to school for multimedia and graphic design. That's what started me on the road to 3D game art, but I couldn't afford the programs after I graduated from school. I eventually got into photo editing which I really enjoyed. I worked freelance with a photographer and helped him with business cards and photo editing. Then I branched out on my own and started designing photo presentations like for weddings or special events like that. After I moved to a new location I wasn't able to work with the same people at that time because I couldn't travel the 7 hour trip to work each day. I was playing around on a site called Elyzeria and they were looking for an item artist to join the team. I signed up and the owner there trained me and put up with my terrible artistic abilities. I had tried to work on several other sites before I found Elyzeria. The owner there was just the only person willing to put in the time to teach me. After a few years of struggling through tutorials, trying to understand the ins and outs of photoshop, and trying to overcome my own ignorance about what makes good art, my trainer finally suggested that I try to find a site that would pay me. So, I took her suggestion.

I actually can't draw at all. All my art is done on the computer using a mouse and photoshop7. I don't do sketches, I just use my brain. Sometimes I might have to study a picture of something I'm not familiar with until I can draw the body proportions right (especially for made up animals that are a mix of several animals in one). In place of sketches for commissioned art, I do line art on the computer. It's pretty easy and doesn't take very long to do. Then the buyer gets and true visual of how the image will look because there's no erase lines or other things like that.

I started doing this because I was a very young stay-at-home mom with no income. I worked as a free artist in training for several years until I was confident enough to ask someone to pay me. Eventually I found a few faithful folks who had me do commissions for them. I also did some maps which bring in a good amount of money. I love the beautiful art that I can come up with and being a petsite artist allows me to get high quality images done quickly although it's for little money. I just don't care for the restrictions the site owners put on the art. Sometimes they want an artist to come up with silly items and I just don't feel like doing. I still do it, but it does take a little joy out of it when you have little control over the types of items you get to make. The same is true for maps. Even though I got paid well for maps, it wasn't the art I wanted to make. I do it anyway because, well, a job is a job. I take huge pride in my art and try very hard to make it perfect (even on images that are really small).

cpvr likes this.
  10. Gabby

Reputations:
    That is the truth :') I love being at VPL so much. Working here is an experience I'm honored to have. I don't think I will ever leave it.

Accounts are never deleted, so that isn't true at all. Some of the original accounts haven't been signed into and still are here. So, no stress. ;)

And hey look at that! You're so close to 10 posts!!

11. cpvr

Reputations:
    @Tsurimae
    I remember that site. The owner was an active member here. Whatever happened to that place?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  12. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    I think it went down to be remodeled and never came back up.

13. cpvr

Reputations:
    That really sucks, the site had a lot of potential. Do you still have the art that you made for them?

14. Tsurimae

Reputations:
    Yep. Still have it.