Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

Seeking Programmer [Hiring] Programmer to move and update petsite

Discussion in 'Programming Marketplace' started by Kyrislian, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Kyrislian

Kyrislian New Member VPL Member

*waves* Hi!

Currently I have a website located at thesummoned.tzechean.com and I've bought a new domain name for it to properly call home at realmsoftzechean.com. However, since it's a dynamic site with databases and all, I'm not entirely sure on how to move it (I am guessing links will go all funny!) so I am hoping to hire someone to help do this for me.

A bit of background on the site; it's for my adoptable shop that I run in a sim site (Should fall under petsites still right? ;) ) and basically holds all information about the pets a person owns, and what items they have in their inventory. You can have a peek at the "Scroll Masters" section to see how it's laid out. All this is managed through an admin panel. Lots of form filling and stuff.

The shop's really expanded now, so I find myself needing to add extra information and well, make things much more neater and better organized. For example, instead of the one form for all the different species, there will be 4 new forms instead with options specific to those species (Eg One species has elemental variations while another species has emotional variations).

Then finally, a news page and a search page to be added.

And yes, this will be a paid job XD

Please do feel free to contact me if you're interested or if you'd like more information! Either here, or email me at kae_bat@yahoo.com :)

Thanks for your time!
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

Have you asked PaulSonny? I'm not sure if he can do this but worth asking I suppose.
  3. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

4. ThomasMosey

ThomasMosey Member VPL Member

For moving the site, it's super-simple, and Links won't mess up if you've been sticking to good practice (E.g. Using functions to find the Document Root and going from there), and the Database is simply clicking the "Export" Button and then "Importing" it to a new Database on your new Host (And, if you're using a different Username/Password/Host, change your Database Connection details). I'm sure there are many examples on Google to help you! (I'm not trying to undermine you or say this is stupid in any way - maybe just back things up and have a go, maybe save yourself some money!)

Good luck finding someone! :)
  5. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

And if you make a backup of the site, you can ask your host to upload the backup for you.
  6. Kyrislian

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies :D Spunki, this is my first time in a long time of coming back in here, so I'm not too aware of the who's who of programming ;) But normally I like posting a thread first because I don't want to bug people just in case they've a lot on their plate at the moment. Unless I'm really familiar with the person *looks guiltily at Judd*

Myz, replied shot back at you!

Thomas, I didn't program the site so I have absolutely no idea about best practices etc XD And no worries! I know there's no insult meant. The only problem is that I can't really afford to accidentally mess it up; people have paid real money for some of the pets and I don't want to tempt fate and somehow screw things up. Which... knowing me, I'll most likely end up doing.
  7. judda

judda Bringer of Awesome Moderator Programming Moderator

@Kyrislian - I can do the backup and stuff for you .. but I don't think I have time for the dev work (given my horrible memory and my prior commitments).

If needed, I can help setting up a development site so you only give the developer access to that until launch time.

~judda
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    Kyrislian likes this.
  8. Kyrislian

<3 to Judd!

It's alright :D Things seem to be working out pretty well, and I've learnt my lesson from the eejit I told you about last time! But thanks very much for the offer <3