Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Internet Explorer: Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Programming General' started by ThomasMosey, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ThomasMosey

ThomasMosey Member VPL Member

Hey there,

If you are a Website Owner, Web Developer, or even a Web Designer, do you think it's worth the effort to make sure your website looks similar to other Web browsers, and works accordingly, or do you just put a temp page telling the user to upgrade?

Personally, I tend to do both; For IE >= 9, I allow views to the site, and all the features. Whereas any IE < 9 should not be able to view the site.

What do you think?
  2. Dyl

Dyl Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

As a professional freelance web designer and a web designer at a corporate hospital.. I make sure the compatibility flows from IE6 and up. I do not do anything below IE6.
    Although we have been discussing a few things and we are headed out of the IE6 version and to the IE7+. I easily make my layouts compatible with all versions though as it's not that difficult since IE6 has the amazing * in the css file to only apply to IE6. :)
  3. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

When I'm forced to do anything visual, I typically don't worry about IE unless the client is paying for my time to make it IE compatible. I'm also a programmer, not a designer :p
  4. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

I hate IE for me its either Firefox or GoogleChrome.

And I think my GC is broken at the moment :/
  5. ThomasMosey

I agree, but not to the extent of IE6 (That's just because the things I code are typically CSS3 rich, and unless there it a jQuery alternative for IE, it goes without it). Plus, Microsoft will soon be forcing updates from IE6 to the latest version.

Fair enough, but I disagree with charging extra for IE compatibility; it seems a bit overboard and should have browser compatibility included in the packaged price. Maybe state you'll only check for compatibility with IE9+ to make it easier, and then have them pay extra for backwards compatibility from there.

Try reinstalling it, and any drivers it may need. Plus, which browser you like isn't the topic of discussion, but thanks for your response anyway.

:eek:
  6. Dyl

Dyl Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Hence the reason I said we are soon not going to worry about it... XD
  7. ThomasMosey

Fair enough, I didn't fully understand your post, sorry :D
  8. SpunkiSpirou

If I re-install it will I lose all my bookmarks?
  9. ThomasMosey

No idea, google is your friend.
  10. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

@ThomasMosey including it in the package price is still charging them, just not telling them that. Normally I say one quote that excludes IE and one that includes it. I feel that is the most fair to a customer, and most customers choose to forego IE. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  11. SpunkiSpirou

I'll leave it, its only the homepage that's broken/got a problem.
  12. nobackseat

nobackseat Member VPL Member

I never accommodate to IE. Doing so always ends in hacks putting you one step backwards.

Besides, those on the lower versions of IE tend to be business people, and using computers at their job too. I imagine my type of sites don't appeal to that audience, and they shouldn't be getting on games at their job anyways.

NBS