Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Interview with Ian, owner of Marapets.com

Discussion in 'Interviews' started by cpvr, May 29, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Ian is the founder and owner of Marapets which has been online since 2004, and we had the chance to chat with Ian for a little while, and here's what he had to say:

Some people hate Marapets for the ads, why did you decide to bring ads to Marapets? Can you tell us why ads are important for any true business owner?

Ads provide steady, reliable, predictable income. When we started in 2004 the internet was unpredictable and changing fast and for me to make big decisions and to do risky investment i needed some stability. Those who are pissed off by ads just adblock all sites anyway, and others ignore them. You don't open a newspaper and cut out all of the ads before you read it.

One of your competitors, Subeta claims to be the second "largest pet site", and yet, Marapets has near 5 million members. How do you feel about this claim?
    I don't have any feelings about it. Don't know or care much about them or any other site. I prefer to just get on with my work and get stuff done. While others are talking, I'm working.
    I don't have competitors. Only competition I have is with myself to keep outdoing myself in terms of new features and work.

How do you feel about Neopets? Do you feel that they're one of your competitors, or no?
    I don't think they are a competitor because they're different from us. They are a billion dollar corporation that got so huge through investors. We have no investment other than what we earn each month through site income.

In terms of account security, how does Marapets protect its users?
    We log everything a user does. And that means everything. Every item on the site an admin can click and watch every single movement that item has done since it was created. The same applies to pets. Information is the key. If someone is scammed, we can fix it. Ask any marapets player about being scammed our account safety and you'll only receive good feedback.

Here's an example of my account, cpvr:

Your art differs from other pet sites, but then again, content is what Marapets strives for - do you feel that your art style doesn't matter?
    I'm happy with it. Yes it could be better and some of it does need a revamp, but it has never held us back. Looks aren't everything... I would have thought most virtual pet players would understand that.

Marapets currently offers 152 games and 51 flash games - are there any plans for more flash games?
    Eventually. They were fun to work with but took too much time and gave me more trouble then they were worth in the long run. New players love them but once you've played them a couple times they get boring quick - same with all flash games. And I think 51 is enough for new players to enjoy.

How old were you when you created Marapets? How old are you now?
    Since Marapets opened in 2004, Ian created Marapets at the age of 14, possibly going on 15. He's 22 now.

I get bored easy so with making Marapets I liked to keep the news interesting. Everything had to make sense and be released for a reason and I tried not to make predictable news. I guess that helped keep people interested.

How much traffic does Marapets currently receive on a daily basis?
    Between 75,000 and 250,000 vists by 50,000-175,000 uniques. Approx 8,000-20,000 registered users login each day.
    The highest we have had we had was 411,596 visits by 243,715 uniques.
    Which had an online count of 3,640 at its peak with 39,405 players logged in that day.
    We do between 3 and 6 million pageviews a day, but had a peak of 12.5 milllion once before.

What made Marapets have so users online that day?
    it was back when credit was cheap, advertising was cheap and before the recession hit and people had more disposable income to spend online. We had a lot of money for investment and a good return on it. Marapets is 7 years old, look back over the years at the cost of living, price of oil, etc and you'll see the trend pretty much follows marapets online count haha

How do you feel about Facebook and Twitter? Do you use these networks much to post Marapets updates?

I don't understand twitter but we have a facebook page. I don't really see them being connected much more than that. Facebook is personal and Marapets is a virtual online game. I don't think the 2 mix.

In terms of activity, and traffic, what year do you think was the best for Marapets? Do you think its possible to surpass those stats of before?

The 2007-2008 was our best year for activity and traffic growth, but we reached the peak we could handle and it cost us a lot to upgrade/reprogram and keep it sustainable. We can now handle this traffic and some so it will be possible to surpass those stats.

Do you feel if Marapets opened before 2004, do you think it would be as successful as it is today?

No I don't think it would be. I'm a different person now to what I was 7 years ago. I've been working on Marapets for a third of my life. When I was younger I would never ever give up and thought I could do anything no matter what the consequences. I was a child when I started, a teenager when it grew big and now I'm an adult that wouldn't be able to take the same risks.

Looking back at Marapets, what is one thing that makes you so proud?
    That a small group of people from all around the world could work together to create something that millions have viewed and that has changed thousands of peoples lives. Laimay and I worked together for 3 years before we even knew what we both looked like!

What do you do for Marapets for those that don't know? What's your job?
    I do all of the programming, server and network set up and maintenance, database setup and maintenance, the planning and organising and manage/release everything - even the news updates. Laimay draws what I tell her to draw. And the rest of the staff are mods and admins, who look after the site's users and offer support and moderation.

How do you feel about pet site owners who try to become internet celebrities? Do you feel that this is annoying?

Some pet site owners do seem to want to be famous or popular by running a pet site which I find really pathetic, especially when they create websites, blogs and videos all about themselves. I don't realy understand why anyone would do it other than to recreate themselves online because their life offline is sad. I like to keep as much of my offline life private and while I am online I just get on with my work on Marapets. It doesn't annoy me, but I don't really understand it.
    Lee and Romany like this.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Jammybee

Jammybee Member VPL Member

Great interview :)

But recently mara has been struggling to get 6000 logged on in 48 hours =|
  3. cpvr

So true, and that's more than likely their lack of adding new content and pushing out updates on a daily basis or so. I remember when they used to clock 10k or more in 48 hours.
  4. Jammybee

Good days when there was 3000+ on :3

http://www.marapets.com/profile.php?id=2326

So that is your account? Because wow that id XD
  5. cpvr

Yup, that's my account. I joined Mara back in 2004. I've seen it rise, and I've seen it fall. Which is why I wrote two parts of "Downfall of Marapets" if you do a search, you can find them.
  6. Jammybee

I had an account about 2000 below that xD 25, I self banned for some reason :'c

It is quite said to see it falling as it is. It just seems to be struggling to climb back up xD

I will search them now!
  7. cpvr

Self banned? How did you do that? I don't think Mara has a self-banned feature, so did you make a ticket to get banned? You should email them, they'll probably give you back your account.

Ya, it is, and the only thing that'll get it going again is if they revamp all the old art, the layout, and start pushing out new features - and editing current ones to have better rewards.
  8. Jammybee

Yep, I sent in a support ticket c: I wouldn't have any account other than the one I have now, too much to lose XD

And a cereal shop is added. Wth mara.
    cpvr likes this.
  9. cpvr

Ya, good point. I have a ton of items, and Marapoints. I don't do the quests anymore though. It's easy as heck to hoard items though.
  10. Jammybee

Yep c:

Do you have any really rare items?
  11. cpvr

Not really because I didn't receive some of my rare referral prizes.
  12. Blake

Blake Member VPL Member

Ouch, how did that happen? Have you tried sending in a support ticket? Because those referral Quell potions go for around 100 million if I recall correctly.

Do you have a lot of hoarded old account upgrade costumes, or seasonal costumes?
  13. cpvr

I did and they said they couldn't give it to me since its been so long. Not really., I have $6 in account credit that was given to me randomly - or through the loyalty system. I haven't used it though.
  14. Blake

Blake Member VPL Member

Are you serious? Why should it matter when you obtained the referrals, you still managed to get them and the proof is ON the site.
  15. cpvr

Exactly, their staff member said there weren't any logs for that prize. I have over 3k referrals there, so they should have given me something - at least of value of the book.
  16. Blake

Blake Member VPL Member

That is absolutely ridiculous. Honestly, that's enough to turn me off from the site, even though I've been away from the site ever since I found Paladore.

They need a revamp staff wise. But it doesn't matter what anyone says to them, no matter how experienced you are.

http://www.marapets.com/profile.php?id=84090

That's my account, though I could never actually get referrals.
  17. cpvr

Ya, I know right. I mainly got my referrals through this community because we linked to Mara when it first opened and for a few months after that. I'm also getting a lot of referrals to Boopets because they have a banner ad here as well as Aywas.
  18. Jammybee

Whaaaa-!

If I was you I would rage my heart out on there, you deserve the prizes for getting that many members :'( You could try again depending on when you last asked them, because that is utter crap.

There is millions of MP worth items you need for getting over 3000 members to join >.<
  19. cpvr

I talked to Ian about it on MSN and he told me to file a ticket, so I did what he told me to do.

You have referred 3,632 new members to marapets.

Most of them date back to 2004-2007
  20. Jammybee

Meh, you should still get the prizes D: It may date back a long time but they have proof you got them D:<