Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Is Sheldon supposed to be Autistic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpunkiSpirou, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

So I started watching The Big Bang Theory and there's certain things that the character Sheldon does that makes him look like he's supposed to be autistic.

Like there was an episode a while back I watched where he had to have someone go with him somewhere, I can't remember what it was but it was like he couldn't go to this place unless he had someone with him and he was going to all these people who were on a list in a certain order, like the 1st best friend and then the second best friend, and so on. I was only watching it for a bit whilst I waited for something else to start though so I dunno much about that episode.

But in the episode that's just come on now, he goes to a barber's for a haircut and the guy that does his hair every time he goes there isn't in, he's in hospital. But this other guy opts to cut his hair instead but Sheldon's like he can't do it because he's not the person that usually does it and he'd do it wrong etc.

So I'm just wondering is he supposed to be Autistic or does he just appear to act like it?
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Ajax

Ajax Mod & Artist | Need Help? Moderator Approved Artist

The only thing I know is that the girl from Charmed is in the show lol.
  3. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

I think it is hinted at that he is autistic. He is really smart, but doesn't really have any social skills. I doubt they will come out and say that his character is suppose to be autistic, but it is certainly hinted at.
  4. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

why the hell were you watching the big bang theory
  5. SpunkiSpirou

Yeah I've noticed that.

And he doesn't pick up on things, like this lass in it comes out of her flat or summat wearing like yesterdays washing and there's this other lass moving in and the first lass says she's going for a run to work out, but Sheldon says like she doesn't work out and she only dresses like she does when she's run out of clean clothes/washing machines broken. It were dead funny still.

Think I'm gonna watch that now though if he's like autistic and that, plus its funny.

Plus Dax told me to watch it ages ago and I never did. He reminds me of him when he goes into certain super complex things, I'm like the lass on it when she's just like "Yeah ok,".

Pretty mint.
  6. SpunkiSpirou

It comes on after How I Met Your Mother, which comes on after Hollyoaks, which is the whole reason why I'm on the channel its on.
  7. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

People seem to connect autism and intelligence more than often. Think about Einstein and how people believe he was autistic.
  8. SpunkiSpirou

Is Hawking autistic as well then?
  9. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Did I say every case?
  10. SpunkiSpirou

Well you didn't even say 'case'.
  11. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Just re-read my post. I said "more than often"; not "always".
  12. TheTeen

TheTeen Member VPL Member

Ooops...let me read wikipedia!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Lyrakish

Lyrakish Member VPL Member

I just think he is the epitome of socially awkward. Later in the series when Penny and Leonard are together they treat him as a surrogate son, almost as if he never grew up. He talks to his mother like a 5 year old and has certain practices.

If I were to analyse it I would say that his intelligence boosted his 'mental' age far beyond that of a normal child and since he is in a place of job satisfaction his childish mind has been rekindled. It would be good to see the show portray an autistic man. He is highly functioning if a bit annoying. I also love that the fan base were more shocked that Sheldon's actor was around 40years old rather than his sexuality.
  14. The Little Tree

The Little Tree Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

*cough* Sheldon is meant to beautiful.

Though honestly, I'd recommend watching it regardless. Some of the humour is cleverly put together. Some is just for kicks.