Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cupcakes, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Cupcakes

Cupcakes Supporter VPL Supporter

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't think the person who is trying to sell me the site even owns it. That would explain everything.

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm just not used to how things work here, or if this is an abnormal situation.

I'd posted a few weeks back that I'd been looking for a coder or a pet site to purchase. I've gotten quite a few people in touch with me, and just as I'd thought I'd made up my mind I got one final offer.
    The person contacted me and gave me a brief description of the site that they were selling (I think?). It gave me no financial standpoint of the site, no idea of the user base, or any other information, just that they were considering selling the site, which I'd also seen on this forum previously.
    When I requested the information that wasn't disclosed, they basically turned the questions on me, and started to ask about my own financial situation. When I explained that I wasn't willing to give them that information, and again asked for the statistics on the site, they told me that without me giving them information on what I'd done previously, and a resume, that they wouldn't tell me any more about the site.

At this point, I'm baffled. Is this normal? I've never had anything like this happen before with buying a small business, but I'd seen something similar to it with other people. If it were a larger business I could see the person requesting a business plan or something before they'd consider selling, but they came to me, which is why I'm confused.

Feedback, anyone? I'd rather not step on any toes while I'm here.

TL;DR:
    • Listed on here that I was looking to buy a site
    • Someone got in touch with me with basically just the url of a site they were selling.
    • When I asked for more information, they said they wouldn't give it to me without me giving them a resume and some more financial information about myself.
    • I turned down their "offer", but now I'm wondering if that's normal here?

So basically, is it normal for someone here to offer to sell you something and then say that they won't tell you anything about what they're selling without knowing your own information?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  2. Earth

Earth Approved Artist Junior Programmer Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

If you do not believe this person owns the site I would suggest speaking to @cpvr over PM (rather than putting things into the public domain initially) to confirm details. I would imagine @cpvr would be able to tell you more about the site and owner :) good luck
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  3. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

What is the site called that they were trying to sell you? @Cupcakes And a simple whois lookup would help you determine if they're the owner or not.
  4. Michi

Michi Beware: Insane Admin Administrator

Honestly if they were trying to sell you a site, they have to tell you of the financial situation of that site so you know you can keep up with the payments yourself. They shouldn't need to have your info though to sell the site. I wouldn't trust the person myself like that. If you want you can contact me or @cpvr over pm and we can help you decide on it.
  5. Cupcakes

Cupcakes Supporter VPL Supporter

I got a message from the person, saying that they do not own the site I thought they were trying to sell me. Now they're telling me it was a miscommunication.

Either way, I still wanted to see exactly how things were run on here as far as buying sites. The whole situation seemed odd to me, it still seems odd to me. Why a person needs any of my info in order to sell me a site is still abnormal to me. They've pretty much turned it around on me now, stating that by me not being willing to give them my information that I'm the untrustworthy one, so it's seeming more and more odd, but this person seems like they're a usual member on the site, that's why I didn't want to just jump to conclusions.
  6. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Could you tell us their username them? If they're not the owner, then they can't sell the site to you without proper authority from the owner.
  7. Michi

Michi Beware: Insane Admin Administrator

They don't need your info to sell you a site.
  8. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

Well that wouldn't surprise me, people have done that for real with property and cars before.