Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Is torture ever acceptable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cpvr, Jun 26, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

There's sometimes people in this world that would rather torture someone than kill them - which is equally just as wrong. But, child rapist deserve the torture because they shouldn't be touching little kids to begin with.

But, in your opinion is torture ever acceptable, or is it sometimes wrong? Speak up on this matter.
  2. Ardy

Ardy Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Maybe if someone has information to prevent some sort of horrible terrorist attack / nuclear strike, and they aren't talking.
  3. cpvr

That, and if someone murdered a bunch of people and the cops couldn't find the bodies.
  4. The Little Tree

The Little Tree Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I'd rather, anyone was tortured, given a taste of their own medicine, rather than sentenced to death.
    I think people deserve chances. While realising the consequences.
    Micky likes this.
  5. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

This is a really tough question in my mind.

I guess if it was obvious you intend someone(s) harm(like a terrorist attack) and you won't reveal information crucial to it, then it's justified. In war scenarios, torture is prevelant.

Personally I hope that Sandusky get's what he deserves in prison(They're putting him in the general population in a prison fairly close to where I live) because there simply is no excuse for hurting children. None, whatsoever. But I don't think that should be considered torture as much as punishment. What he did to those kids was torture.
    cpvr likes this.
  6. cpvr

I didn't read the full story about Sandusky, but I saw the news report on CNN about him. And quite frankly, why didn't they catch him earlier on though? Now all those boys have a screwed mind-state because of him and that isn't right. He was placed under suicide-watch though for 24 hours[probably because he's afraid of general population?].

Also, not to mention, someone like him aren't well liked in the jail system.

His lawyers are also trying to appeal some of the charges, what do you think about that? @Avalanche
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

@cpvr he was found guilty on 45 out of 48 counts. Even if they get some of them appealed, he's not going to see the light of day for a very long time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Jammybee

Jammybee Member VPL Member

Not actually heard anything of Sandusky :|

This is a very tough question! There has to be a reason behind torture, if someone wasn't telling important information then I guess it would be needed, but in any other case it is in-humane. It might sound odd to be acceptable for one reason but not the other, but it has to be done :L
  9. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

I think torture is wrong in all cases except terrorists, it just is, child molesters should spend the rest of their lives in prison, but torture is wrong. Look at Steven Biko for example, one of the few anti-apartheid activists I admire and feel was an actual activist, (Nelson Mandela is okay, but I really feel his prison sentence was a bit deserved, he helped kill people in terrorist attacks, violence is always wrong). Torture is wrong for prisoners. It just is.
  10. Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

I think that if you just torture someone and then let them go, they are going to retaliate. History has proven this a lot. :/ (so if you are going to torture, kill them when you're done). I think torture should be used if someone abducted your kids or something precious to you and you want it back. :3 However, I think that harsher punishments should be enforced. :3 One of my ideas if that male rapists should be castrated and if they offend again actually lose the "offending object." Now that I think about it, that kinda is torture (well deserved though). :D
    cpvr likes this.
  11. cpvr

It's been all over the news for the past few days, but his wiki contains more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sandusky
    :mad:
  12. Jammybee

Thanks for clearing that up.

If only there was something that would actually be more suited than a life sentence :mad:
  13. cpvr

Something like that, I think, deserves the lethal injection. What you think?
  14. Jammybee

Hmm, I actually think torture would be suited for this D:<
  15. Toongears

Toongears New Member VPL Member

I'm all for torture and people receiving their just deserts, but I guess the one gray area would be... what if a terrorist was tortured if they wouldn't comply... or if the child molestor was convicted but wrongly accused... there are people in prison who are innocent. I guess it's a matter of humanity and diginity.
  16. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

I think its wrong, its like something they did in Medieval times.
  17. SpotOnTech

SpotOnTech New Member VPL Member

Under no circumstances is torture (waterboarding, beatings, bodily manipulation, etc) ever acceptable. This isn't 1400 anymore. This is 2012. We have plenty of other ways to make people talk in lieu of physical abuse.
    Gohawk likes this.
  18. Gohawk

Gohawk busy VPL Supporter

Torture is immoral or your moral is unethical at its core.

That aside: Torture will always produce information; but most likely false information the torturer wants to hear. It can even make the tortured believe what they are "confessing". And there will always be someone that you (and I mean each of you) deserve to be tortured.
  19. cpvr

People are proved guilty when they're actually innocent a lot of times. It happens because of the jury and their evidence - then we the person's lawyer revists the case and finds out the mistakes, they tend to prove innocent again. But you can't take back all the years that you missed while being in jail - which really sucks, and also causes a lawsuit sometimes.

Like if you remember they tried to get Michael Jackson and he beat the cases.