1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Items and backgrounds. Requesting critiques

Discussion in 'Art/Writing General' started by vilkdage, Feb 1, 2012.

1. vilkdage

vilkdage Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I would like to hear critiques of my backgrounds and items:
    Some of my backgrounds (there're a lot of them. Which is why I don't want to post them here) can be found here (visit PetAdoptables to see not re-sized backgrounds). I really would like you to tell me your opinion as I want to improve.

Items:
    [​IMG]

2. Elz

Elz Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Honestly I couldnt critique your backgrounds, they're all very nice :p
    For your items I'd say try to get a bit more contrast in there, they're all very light to me. That might just be a personal preference though, it would depend on the sites style.

3. kami

kami Moderator Moderator VPL Member

Reputations:
    My gosh your art is BEAUTIFUL! The only thing I can think of would just be the water in the beach background. The closer water gets to shore, it often gets lighter/more translucent. Maybe add some sea foam? As for your items (also awesome), maybe try some cell shaded ones? Cell shading is more of the standard, so if you're looking to sell/get commissions, having a few examples of those might help.

4. Drea

Drea Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    I have similar advice to the two above me: Your backgrounds are quite nice overall, perhaps just keep in mind to utilize a variety of references for experimentation in coloring and texturing to make it look more "realistic." As far as items go, I'd use more contrast like Elz suggested, and I'd also try using cell shading over the initial soft shading, depending on the site it's for. Using a light bit of soft shading underneath mutliplying cell shading layers really gives it a dynamic look.

Lovely art c: <333

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. vilkdage

Reputations:
    Thank you! All of you were very helpful. I'll do my best to learn from you and get better in art.

6. Ixyra

Ixyra Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    you have a nice sense of color and space in most of your background images. they're quite good comparatively to most backgrounds you see on pet sites.

just as a disclaimer, the critiques im going to give you are based off of what ive learned at university from professors who are on personal terms with dreamworks head artists/animators/directors, so please dont take any of it harshly or in a bad sense. This is how I learned it and it really helped me out!

The best thing you can ever to for your art ever is learn the FUNDAMENTALS. Get a good hold of perspective. Learn what vanishing points, station points and horizon lines are and how perspective grids work. You can NEVER learn too much perspective! It even helps with organic drawings like forests, rivers/large bodies of water, and fields. Things get closer and closer together as they go back into space, but WAY more than you think they do ;) Just look up a picture of a herd running across the savannah and take a look at how small the farthest one is. Now cut it out in photoshop and place it next to the largest one in the front. ITS CRAZY how different it is!
    As far as light goes, there is a golden rule: CONTRAST IS THE MEANING OF LIFE! Always start of images in black and white and learn your values! You have a good sense of value in a few of your paintings, but the light sources are pretty indefinite. Always make SURE that your light sources are followed throughout the piece. Set focal points for the viewer and keep the composition engaging. Focal points are always more contrasted while the rest of the image is less contrasted. The human eye is always going to see high contrast FIRST! Always remember CONTRAST AND VALUE! Also: look up light source tutorials from masters - NOT from deviantart! If there is a light to the right of the image that does NOT always mean that all the shadows are going left. A background in perspective helps this understanding. Reflective light is also important to pay attention to as well as cast shadows and form shadows and then differentiating the two for the viewer.

Look into ATMOSPHERIC PERSPECTIVE. There's too much to know about it for me to type it out, however its very valuable to look into especially as an environment artist. Things that go into the background tend to have less contrast and things in the foreground have more vibrant color and more contrast. There's much much more so I really recommend researching it.

Your color usage and is fairly good but I think the overall image could greatly improve with a stronger grasp of the fundamentals :)
    All of this information goes for pretty much any drawing but is directed towards backgrounds. I hope it could help a little! If you have any questions about anything feel free to just ask, I know its a lot!

7. kami

Reputations:
    ಠ_ಠ Who are you to say that there are no "masters" on Deviantart who make "masteresque" tutorials? I've seen HUNDREDS of AMAZING tutorials, even by those who aren't skilled at drawing, who make and explain things so great.

If you can honestly say and think that tutorials such as these (below) are a load of a bull crap, then I say you really don't know what you're talking about.
    http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/The-Perspective-Tutorial-94166651
    http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/art/Perspective-Composition-Pt-1-118068853
    http://vandervals.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-of-Color-and-Light-195652308 (artist's comment for more)
    http://deamond89.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Blending-Charas-into-BGs-269788129
    http://drag-5.deviantart.com/art/Lighting-Tutorial-82388860
    http://darlingmionette.deviantart.com/art/Quick-and-Dirty-Color-Theory-161213599 (this girl has lots of amazing tutorials)

And these aren't just "the only" good ones. I went out and just searched "perspective/light/etc tutorial" and I got these. There were hundreds upon hundreds more. Are all of them going to be good? No, but that doesn't mean you should ban Deviantart because of that while there sits hundreds upon hundreds of amazing tutorials.

And hell, this one just popped up in my notifications: http://ritter99.deviantart.com/art/A-Channels-And-Color-Mode-Adjustment-Tutorial-282837397

And there aren't just art tutorials, there are thousands of all sorts of tutorials! Want to learn how to write? There's a tutorial for that. Graphic art? Those too. Just search for anything and you're almost guaranteed to find it.

You think there are no master artists on Deviantart? I say you haven't even bothered looking. The internet is growing and more people are getting access to it. Some of your amazing "masters" may already have an account.

And to go even beyond this, don't restrict yourself to just Deviantart. The entire world wide web has millions of tutorials! Just Google search what you want. Restricting your resources is a terrible idea. I, for one, would never suggest it. Use all the tools and resources you can find! The more the merrier!

8. kami

Reputations:
    Just because you learned it at your university doesn't always mean you have to stick with it (nor does it always mean it's right). I feel like that is a limitation of ones knowledge. For my classes, I never just go with what the teacher says or teaches, I always go outside and find new things, new ways, and just more information than they tell me. But that's just me. I like to educate myself c: Though if those teachers feel that going to Deviantart to learn is a bad idea, I personally would show them tutorials to prove them wrong and educate them that the internet isn't always full of crap.

A lot of those are good too. What tutorials are you looking at? o_0

http://doanminhman.deviantart.com/art/Tips-Cell-shading-light-source-112646038
    http://crysa.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Angelic-Wings-Tutorial-23056695
    http://crysa.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Anime-Hair-Bangs-34535785
    http://hchan.deviantart.com/art/h-s-tutorial-parts-1-and-2-37067311
    http://miemie-chan3.deviantart.com/art/howto-color-with-copic-markers-106142899
    http://dymaraway.deviantart.com/art/Coloring-Tutorial-and-Sai-Tips-197374324

9. kami

Reputations:
    I'm not getting in an "argument" and if anything, this would be more of a debate. Your belief that I dislike you because I worked under you is insanely false.

I don't care where you go to for a university, who they've worked with, or anything about them. Including how much you pay. (Was that really necessary?) Just because they've worked with large companies doesn't mean everything they spit out of their mouths is 100% true and cannot be wrong in any way shape or form. Not only that, but there are other ways of doing artwork. The people who you listed all have different styles, techniques, and just general ways of going about things. If anything, having the university affiliated with them should show you how great of a tool the internet can be. Shoving yourself down into a hole and only viewing a little bit of the outside world DEEPLY hinders your ability to improve and grow, not only as an artist, but as a person. It's like showering yourself in ignorance.

I've done nothing but try to respect you, but you've done things in the past that I found rude, cruel, childish and wrong. Do I make these posts because of that? No. And you should realize that. I'm typing these because I feel what you are saying now is wrong and I am telling you my side. It doesn't have to be my artwork for me to defend it. The whole excuse of "if you don't like it don't read it" is just bull shit. That's like telling me to move on with the subject because you don't want to discuss it. I could easily turn around and say this to you, but I'm not, I welcome you to come up with a good argument of why my beliefs are wrong. That means responding to the points that I've made to your points. If one of defeats one point, move on to the next. Debating isn't bad, it's healthy and gets the mind moving.

I had no intention of "lashing out" rather than just stating my side. And again, "professional" doesn't always mean that person is a perfect genius. There are loads of "professionals" on Deviantart. Many of the artists of Avatar: The Last Airbender are members as well as the creator of My Little Pony. I'm sure there are many more famous artists on there as well.

I'm not sure why I should PM you privately when we can easily discuss it here. I don't see why the artist who made this thread or others can't read these posts when they can learn from them. Had I not posted, people might've strayed from Deviantart because you so highly stressed against it. My posts aren't just for her, they are for everyone c:

In any case, if you choose not to debate this further, that is your choice.

10. kami

Reputations:
    ...that's your argument? Your university has worked with large companies and I myself have not? Politicians make loads of money and work with powerful people. Are they always right? Do they always do thing the exact way everyone else has to?

LOL okay, so because I use the internet as a means of educating myself (which is free and has millions of lessons, tutorials, means of going about things, techniques, tips, advice, teachers, etc) means I will amount to nothing while you who dumps money on a university will be a rich amazing and famous artist by the time she graduates? I'm assuming you see the fallacy of this, correct?

When people can do things like this (below) without classes, I think the rest of us will be okay:
    http://shilin.deviantart.com/
    http://cataclysm-x.deviantart.com/
    http://darlingmionette.deviantart.com/
    http://marytaylor.deviantart.com/
    http://nasyu.deviantart.com/
    http://yuugichan.deviantart.com/

Also, for the record, I want to be a teacher. A language teacher at that. And in regards to money, as long as I have some sort of shelter, access to internet, and enough money for food, I'll be completely happy. Money does not fuel me, passion does c:

11. kami

Reputations:
    (Sorry for the delay in my reply. The internet went down for a bit ^^; )

Indeed money does do that, and I would get enough of it to survive by being a teacher. I was going off of what you said here:
    If shelter, food or internet didn't cost money, (and assuming everything else did), I would be happy to live without money or fancy things. My only dream is to educate people. Everything else on top of that is an added bonus. But that's just me.

I was making what's known as an "analogy" where I take the large companies you referred to and related them to similar aspects of another topic, in this case - politics. I wouldn't mind not being successful because I am good at what I do, though I am often an exception and I can't speak for everyone. The artists I posted are pretty good? Well, they sure as hell have a lot more skill than a lot of people I know. I think it's your opinion that they aren't as good as Pixar, but I find them to be more skilled than them. But both are great artists.

Yes, such is the truth. I don't quite like the skill level I'm at right now, but I keep trying. And if we're gonna be honest here, I'm not quite fond of your art either. I think you have a lot of room to grow as well. But we all do, we're all growing artists and we learn new things as often as we can. Even people at large companies such as Pixar. (You think they just sit around doing the same thing every day? I sure as hell hope they don't! Experimenting is the best way one can learn, and from what I recall of their commentaries from their movies, they're doing it all the time.)

Because I want to have a different occupation means I can't give my opinion on a subject? That seems a bit crude, don't you think? If you want to debate "my business", you're more than welcome to.

Open your eyes a little. People can learn and be just as skilled as someone who goes to school by just teaching and experimenting by themselves. (I'm sure there are many people who work for the companies you listed who didn't take art classes in school.) Not everyone needs a paid mentor to tell them what to do. And do keep in mind I'm not saying that going to classes is a waste of time. They can be helpful of course. I'm just saying it's possible to do without them and be just fine c:

12. Drea

Drea Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    Not to like, try and get in the middle of this.... But I consider the best thing that can come out of being a great artist to be the ability to do something you love, and something that others can love. Money is nice, but the passion you get from doing artwork should be your drive, not the money that it could produce.... Nobody is perfect, after all.... There's lots of ways to learn and grow, and just as the artist who made this thread wants to improve with their own unique style, we should all venture to be the best that we can be, driven by our love of art, not by the money behind it.... Many artists throughout history have struggled to survive; they made barely enough to live off of, but we now look upon them as being masters of their work, and their sculptures, drawings, paintings, they're all priceless because of the impact they have on us... doesn't that say something...?

Just sayin'.... And sorry for sorta hijacking, here....

13. kami

Reputations:
    @Drea This is a public thread, this conversation is open for anyone to join. You're not getting "in the middle" at all c: Also, great post, worded it better than I could have myself ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  14. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Wait a second...

Devientart has hundreds upon thousands of members with masters in art. But regardless of whether or not you have a masters, doesn't prove whether or not you're good at it. To tell someone not to go to DA for tutorials is wrong. Have you even been on DA? I assume you have, but you certainly need to reevaluate the way you look at DA and its members. Idk, if I was an artist with a masters degree who went on DA, and if I saw that message, I would be pretty put off. Personally, I don't think that was the best advice to give.

The tutorials you see at DA are very useful, regardless of what degree the artist had or which uni they attended.

Most of the time, not all the time. So therefore I wouldn't tell someone not to look at DA instead of a master.

But remember, this isn't personal, I'm just letting you know that despite what you said, DA is full of artists who can provide useful information to other artists. It really doesn't matter who went where and what they learned at which uni.

But overall, I think we're moving beyond the primary subject. Let's stick to it please. <3

@vilkdage: you know... I adore your art, and I hope you continue to work for this industry. We can really use such a talented and ambitious artist such as yourself.

I'm not so great at criticism unfortunately, so I hope that suffices.

15. kami

Reputations:
    If you didn't want to debate then you could've just said that and stopped. We're not even back-talking you either, we're having a debate. This is how they work.

I'll go ahead and apologize to @vilkdage and @Joy as well for going off topic. I do really love your art and hopefully what I said about Deviantart and the like helped you, in even some minor way. (Possibly even the tutorials I linked to or the artists may help inspire you a little as well.) Best of luck with future artworks, you're very talented! c:

16. vilkdage

Reputations:
    Thanks all of you (Ixyra too. I am really happy you had opportunity to get into a good university. It's a pity I can only see your first post) :) It was really nice to read this discussion as I am studying design, not illustration and we only had basic drawing classes (I'm studying in college). I do find DA useful because all artists (if they are really passionate for what they do) can teach a bit. But I do not stop only by DA (but moni158 from DA was my first idol :rolleyes:) I look and learn in various sites and real life too. This is why I created this topic here. There're many artist in here and I appreciate their opinions (even if they say I am bad at what I do it only stimulates me to keep on getting better).

I do love art. I love it so much that I spend days drawing one picture and I can redraw it if I don't like how it came out, but I can't ask people who commission me pay for it which is way I am one of those artist who really don't have that much money. But that's why I'm learning to draw faster and to get better at the same time. All of you are helping me to reach my dreams even if I already know that probably I'll never draw as amazing as thousands of young talented artist, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to reach their level :p

Joy, that doesn't work :p a praise will only raise my swagger which is why I asked for critiques :p

hehe sorry for making grammar mistakes. English has never been my strong point :eek:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  17. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm sorry then.​

18. vilkdage

Reputations:
    You don't have to say sorry :p Don't take it seriously ^.^

19. Ixyra

Ixyra Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    No problem ^^ You can never learn too much of the fundamentals! Deviantart is a wonderful place that I follow religiously; you just have to know what to look for :) It looks as though you have good mileage, now I think it's just a matter of really cracking down on the fundamentals and making it all cohesive.

P.S. @Joy - "Masters" as in dead people XD Like the renaissance artists etc. not like the degree. most great artists dont even have a BFA :p

20. Daxter

Daxter Banned Banned

Reputations:
    They look alright, not what we're looking for on our site though.