Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets closed beta keys
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    Be sure to check out the latest changes to our rules.

It's time to introduce Serafel

Discussion in 'Sneak Peeks' started by Onyx, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Onyx

Onyx Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

[​IMG]

Note: Currently, the animated preview images in this thread may not be working since they rely on javascript to animate.

It's been some time since we posted anything about Serafel.

Unfortunately, we lost our programmer very unexpectedly a few months ago, and have been forced to start from scratch with all programming aspects of the site.

This setback has been very disappointing to us, but delays and challenges must be expected in the development process, so, we forge ahead!

We have hired a new full-time programmer to work exclusively on Khimeros/Aluriya and Serafel, and are looking forward to making some good progress in the upcoming months!

In the meantime we've been assembling more art assets for the site, primarily equippable items for our human avatars. We've also revamped the human avatar base. Hopefully this delay will only mean that we will have an extensive
    wardrobe when the site opens!

Sneak peek of our new human avatar base and some clothing, expression and hair items!

[​IMG]

Human avatar bases and items are being created by Lanmana - be sure to check out her DA account!

[​IMG]

About Serafel

What is serafel? Well obviously, it is a virtual pet site ^^. We will strive to make a truly engaging and interactive environment to enjoy. Serafel will have many of the basic features that you would usually find in a pet site, like forums, live chat, trades, auctions, human avatars and, of course, pets! Below are some of the main features you will find on the site:

Factions

Thorn & Flora

[​IMG]

Each month you will be able to join either Thorn or Flora's Faction, and your site activities for the month including participation in real-time events, will earn you points within your chosen faction. The best part is spending your points on spiffy monthly items in the Faction shop!

Real-time World Events/Personal Events

Serafel is not just a static world. Just as in the real world, there are different activities occurring around the world of serafel every day, and users have the opportunity to participate in/interact with these events!

Users learn about site events via a live feed that lets them know what is currently going on. For example, you may learn of an NPC who need help with gathering items or crafting and are willing to pay you for your help, or a battle taking place that you can participate in. Most of these events have a limiter of some kind, for example they may only be available for a set time period, only a set number of users may be able to participate, or if it involves harvesting, then any particular tree/bush may only be able to be harvested a certain number of times.

World events may have more than one outcome or more than one "path". For example, if you respond to a call to repair the stone wall around Flora's castle that is being battered down by enemy forces, you may encounter Thorn or one of her minions, who offer to let you switch sides (leave Flora's faction and enter Thorn's) with a certain number of faction points as a reward. In this case you'd need to choose to give up your Flora Faction points, and gain a potentially higher number of points in Thorn's faction, or refuse and have the small chance to be rewarded by Flora with points or a "loyalty" avatar.

Personal events work similarly, except that they apply to a particular user alone, and can only be completed/interacted with by that particular user.

Just as in the real world, events on Serafel take place at random times thoughout the day,

User-created Exploration

Instead of having set explore areas created by the site, YOU create and decorate your own area that other users can then explore. There are both decorative items available, and items that affect game play. For example, placing a "catnip" item in your explore area may make it more likely for users to find an enchanted kittu pet while exploring in your area.

When an explorer finds an item or pet, there may be benefits for either the user who owns the area, the user exploring the area, or both. Having some specific items equipped to your explore area may also play into world events, for example if you have coffee plants equipped, and a "call for coffee berry pickers" event spawns, users may harvest from your coffee plants, gaining benefits for both you as the plant owner, and themselves, as the worker.

Explore areas are divided up by location - for example forest or mountain. Users will be able to use backdrops, as well as decorative items that can be resized and moved around in your area to create a unique scene! Human avatars and pets will also be able to be placed inside the scenes you create for other users to explore!

Communities - Your Personal, Customizeable Hang-out

Pet "Blossoming"

[​IMG]

Serafel will offer many different breeds of "fauna" that you can "blossom" in order to achieve a specific look for your pet! Pets are primarily obtained via exploring, and you will need to "awaken" sleeping pets to activate them. Through tending your rose garden, you can attract butterflies and moths that will help move your pet along the path to a new look, with a variety of different body mutations and colorations, many of them including animation!

There will be many more features to come! In the upcoming months we will provide more sneak peeks of site functionality as new features come online, as well as more art previews!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Onyx

[​IMG]

Thorn: "There's nothing more annoying than trying to get about on this world and having to kick a lot of annoying, pesky critters out of your way at every other step. Always making noise and getting in my way! Whenever I come across a faun, I use the power of my staff to lay an enchantment on them to make them fall into a deep sleep. Much more peaceful around here that way!

If you join my faction, you can help me out by using Enchanting Dust on every hopping, crawling, scampering, or fluttering pest you come across. Being a mere mortal, you of course don't have MY power so you will FAIL more often than you will succeed, but if you manage to enchant a faun, you can take it home with you if that makes you happy. You can even take it to your garden and awaken it later - I don't care as long as you keep the annoying things away from ME!"

[​IMG]

Flora: "Serafel is a beautiful land filled with lovely plants, flowers and creatures of all kinds. Sadly, my twin sister Thorn endangers the balance of nature by selfishly laying enchantments over the fauna, sending them into a deep sleep. Whenever I encounter an enchanted pet, I use the power of my staff to revive them.

If you join my faction, you can help me in my task by finding enchanted pets and using Awakening Dust to reverse my sister's dark ensorcellment! I am not so jealous of my power as Thorn is, so you will succeed in awakening the pets you find more often than not, but if you sadly fail to awaken a faun, you may take it home with you to awaken later in your garden."

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. hazyvoyage

hazyvoyage Approved Artist Approved Artist

That art is GORGEOUS. I look forward to seeing it open.
  4. Dart

Dart JRPG Fanatic VPL Supporter VPL Member

Nice art :)
  5. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Quick question...

Since I'm a fan of both Aluriya and Khimeros (mostly Khimeros), I was wondering if Alpha members need to pay or perform a certain request before being considered/accepted? I would absolutely love the chance, let alone know what's ahead in this matter.​
  6. Onyx

We will likely be selling/auctioning off some of the lowest account numbers/alpha accounts, but this is more for those who are really into getting a low account number than a big impediment to those who want to join the site fairly early, since we're not planning to have a terribly long alpha/beta period. Regular accounts will be free after alpha.
  7. Toxic Rainbow Kisses

Toxic Rainbow Kisses Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Oh my god! You must open now. Haha, Those pets are so cute! *huggles them*
    How much would you be charging for an alpha account? *starts to save up*.
    I have never ever ever paid for an alpha/beta account, but... those are so cute, and I like Khimeros already xD
  8. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

In that case, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this project; and save a bit of money just in case as well.

Now in Khimeros, I noticed that you brought in artwork from Aluriya... will you be doing the same with this site? Or will all art meant for Serafel be strictly placed on Serafel, and not obtain art from any of the other sites or have its art moved onto the other sites?​
  9. Onyx

Well, for Alu and Khimeros we sold alpha accounts for $10 each. Generally we include some special items or we have things during alpha that are only available to alpha users, in order to make the purchase price worthwhile. With Alu, we also held an auction for 10 low account numbers, and they sold for quite a large sum. We'll probably do this again, as this kind of thing does help defray the costs of getting a new site set up with art and coding and hosting fees before there is any income coming in. However, there's absolutely no need to bid a high price in an account auction unless you are really desperate for an uber low account number xD $10 accounts will follow soon enough, and free accounts thereafter.
  10. Onyx

@Joy

We did not actually uh... move art from khimeros to aluriya exactly... we do find it fun to occasionally have a crossover event where a pet or mini pet from one site will make a guest appearance on the other site, just for fun. However, Serafel's art style is vastly different from Khimeros or Aluriya, so I'm not sure that we'd be able to have much of a crossover unless we maybe, had a chibi asadia-likos or something made from scratch for serafel, again, just because it's kind of fun to do something like that occasionally ;)

We do actually have some items from khimeros and aluriya on serafel right now, STRICTLY as place-holder items for testing. They won't be there when the site opens :p Those who've had a sneak peek at the human avatar demo in the past, may have seen something like that in the demo, though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  11. Toxic Rainbow Kisses

Toxic Rainbow Kisses Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I'm excited for this. Like.. really excited :)
    I'm not like, Must have low account number, but I would love to be able to have a head start :) Hehe
  12. Kiku

Kiku Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Those little kittens are totally precious! The art on Aluriya and Khimeros is breathtaking, so I'm not surprised by the excellent quality here. (Though the NPC's legs are somewhat off anatomy-wise, so I'd suggest tweaking that a bit, haha.)
  13. Onyx

Updated the second post ;)

Also added to the first post: "Serafel will be using apng (animated png) images extensively (though we may switch to js animation). If you are using firefox or opera, you will be able to view animations automatically. With chrome, you will simply need to add a plugin. Internet Explorer and Safari do not currently support apng. You will still be able to view all the images, just not the animations. If you can see the NPCs blink in the second post, animated pngs are working properly in your browser!"
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Smells like another successful site to me. Good luck @Onyx
    As always, lovely art coming out from you guys!;)
  15. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

@Onyx
    Just out of curiosity..
    Who are the artists on the team?
  16. Onyx

@cpvr Thank you!

@Martyn Hibbary is doing the bulk of the work right now, but Twi is also assisting, I have Protagonist doing some of the HA clothing (all three are also on the Khimeros/Alu art team), and I also do a little art myself, plus all the "art-monkeying" stuff like preparing pngs from psds, cleaning things up, making tweaks, etc. I also do most of the mini pet coloring on my other sites and I'll probably end up doing at least some of the pet coloring on Serafel, too.
  17. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

@Onyx
    Heh, alright.
    Cause the art style looks so similar to the type that a previous artist of Seripets had. :p
    //totally not going to steal your staff.. c:
  18. Onyx

@Martyn Ha ha yeah please don't steal my staff. I need them.

Oh here I completely went and forgot to mention our NPC artist >_>; I blame it on not having slept yet. The NPCs are done by f-wd on deviantart.
  19. The Little Tree

The Little Tree Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

This is all so exciting! Serafel looks beautiful, the whole gardening and blossoming concept is certainly intriguing.
  20. Erichu

Erichu New Member VPL Member

@Onyx

Oh my gosh. Serafel looks lovely and I adore the graphics!
    I will most likely join when there is a grand opening.
    :D