Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Layout Critique/Prview

Discussion in 'Art/Writing General' started by TheTeen, May 29, 2012.

1. TheTeen

TheTeen Member VPL Member

So I have a secret project in the works at the moment, and I have just been working on the layout for a bit. This is a preview for those who may want to see, but I would love some critique on it so far. Thanks!

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3215/vplprev.png

Also I hope the chat feature will be a nice feature includes multi channel chatting.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Corleone

Corleone Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

First of all, those current images are only placeholders, right?
  3. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

The background is an extremely pixelated image. I'm not sure if it's what @Corleone stated, a placeholder. But yeah. Second of all as a user of the interface (I have no reasoning) but I just don't like it. :C My eyes aren't drawn to the specific parts they should be.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. TheTeen

Yes they are xD Not much of an artist myself.XD I have a sketch for the real background, but it looks awful as only a sketch xD

@Zei - Where should your eyes be drawn? And any suggestions for how I can improve it?
  5. Corleone

Okay, the color of the shoutbox thing is what I don't like. It's distracting, whereas I believe the main focus point should be that white part on the center. Try to make the shoutbox blend more with the background and emphasize the presence of the middle part.

I also recommend moving the search bar over or under a resized shoutbox, or on those gray bars either on top or bottom.

Other than these two, I cannot find anything else, since it is a very simple interface, and proper art will be the key towards making it pop.
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Approved Artist Pet Game Owner Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

@TheTeen

How far along is the game? Do you have/need artists? :3

Also I think my eyes are pulled off the main portions of the site because the search bar should be in the right hand corner, or not where the main text will be placed. My boyfriend stated he's not liking the color scheme, as it conflicts with the layout.
  7. TheTeen

The game has quite a bit coded I just needed a layout to do some of the style things on some of the features. I have it all on xampp right now because I wanted to have some major features coded before I look for artists. I want artists to work for the site because they find a serious interest in the site and not because of what I may offer them xD

Thank you very much @Zei and @Corleone as I will be taking both of your tips.
  8. Corleone

@TheTeen Sure!
    @Zei I believe that won't be a problem when the definitive art is drawn.