1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Longest break from pet games?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by cpvr, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    So, I know I had to take a little vacation last year - that kept me away for 3 and a half months, but then I slowly got back into things - so have you ever taken a break from pet games? If so, how long was your break, and why did you take one?

2. Yasmin Down

Yasmin Down New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well, I've only recently got into pet stuff, so... forever I guess :p
    I used to own a little Neopets portable... thing, like the Tamagotchi though. Like this here: http://www.cjshoppingmall.com/images/neopets_merridell.jpg That was the first I ever heard of Neopets, but I wasn't aware it was a site until I was about 16 (I'm 19 now).

3. lockbox

lockbox New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I usually play them for a few months, get bored/distracted by other things and return maybe a few months later. I suppose pet games are where I go to when I have nothing else to do.

4. Ajax

Ajax Mod & Artist | Need Help? Moderator VPL Staff Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I took one last year for a 10 months lol and started back playing in Oct. I took one this year from May until the beginning of this month xD.

5. cpvr

Reputations:
    Then, what genre do you enjoy the most? I know pet sites tend to have a lot of things to do, and keep you entertained for a while.

6. GGitzOle

GGitzOle Guest

Reputations:
    probably around 4~5 months when I had Uni last year was the longest X)

7. Ardy

Ardy Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I havn't actually actively played a pet game in about 4 years. I usually lurk around to chat and then dissapier for 6 months to a year. The only one i was interested in within that time was palawind, but eh. I know i'll play my own site when it's up though. X3

8. Zyziva

Zyziva New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    It sounds weird probably but when I thought zetapets was gone (not knowing it had changed name) and when Nutrinopets closed too I lost both my games at near the same time. Each with lots of donations and tons of time invested. Mythodreas is there with all my old zetapets info; which I am glad of, but after that I don't usually play for very long at one time.

9. cpvr

Reputations:
    I don't think you're the only one. When I play pet games, I just do quests and chat on the forums. I'm quite rich on Powerpets, Marapets.

10. Nicolas

Nicolas Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    i habe been playing for over ten years now more actualy i think but for my main neo acount it says 10/50 years
    i got bored made a fansite got bored aswell and then i have quiet for about a year for school and etc.
    then i came back to neo and it got to crowded eveerything was changed so i looked back to vpl
    saw lurapets was coming played from the beginning till the end. and now i am creating my own since i have not found a site
    that is for me ^^ except kingdom sky <3 waiting on that to pop any minute now xD
    but i'm still a petsite lover always have been and always will be i think

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. cpvr

Reputations:
    Nutrinopets was a good site. It was pretty active as well. It was a game-changer for a while especially with their amount of features. I think @bigdude or @Corleone can go more in-depth about the features that they had.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  12. Corleone

Corleone Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    It was a powerful petsite, all it needed was the right administration. Sadly it didn't and went downhill soon enough. It was in the process of a V2 release, which would generally improve the whole gameplay, but yet, administration to blame again. It did have lots of features, lots of quests, games, special quests, holiday events, a great battledome and whatnot. Also, it had a community that I have never seen anywhere. And yes, it's true that the site got a considerable amount of donations, the perks were really useful, especially the special accounts. It was one of the few sites where you actually got something useful for having one.

13. bigdude

bigdude New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    V2 was more of a thought. A grand scheme. And while it was wonderful, I, as much as anyone else, thought it was just as much of a way to provoke people to continue donating. I think that donations became a mental block in the heads of the owners and ultimately helped bring the site down. I have no disrespect for Karla or Charles, as they were both great to me, but it's just an honest opinion. I think that special accounts and the donation packs were one of the prime reasons for the site faltering in the end, as it became more about money than it did about the users. And that is simply unfortunate, as the site had a huge upside.

I am not sure what features Nutrinopets had before other sites. I implemented a few features and overhauled some other portions of the site (a lot of administrative/moderator functions early on) but it's hard for me to say in terms of features what Nutrinopets stood out with. Looting (obtaining items from defeated enemies) in the arenas was probably a unique feature at the time it was released, as well as a wrapping kiosk to, basically, wrap items as gifts and send them to other users. Early on, I would say that the rune shop (only open at certain times of the day, even if it was open there was no guarantee that you'd get in, and contained the most expensive/desired items) was probably unique to pet sites. It came about from a plot, I believe. There was also a quest that involved getting a large quantity of items out of the game at once. It started as random items, and you could be asked for anything, but I ended up changing it to focus on deflated items. I then changed it to reward at least 1 inflated item as a prize out of several items. It started to help balance the user shops a little, that is for sure.

I am not really sure, to be honest! I hadn't played any other site other than Neopets before Nutrinopets and even when I worked with Nutrino, I did not visit other sites to see how they did things or what features they had. So I wish I could give a more detailed response, but there are probably users who know more about this than I do. But I have to agree with Corleone - the community was next to none. If you ask most users what was their favorite part of the site, I would be willing to bet that at least 50% would say the community. It was very tight knit and as long as you didn't make a fool of yourself, a new user was generally well received and welcomed amongst the veterans. The community is the reason why I stuck through it as long as I did. I wanted better for the users, but that much work cannot be given to one person to shoulder.

14. Corleone

Corleone Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Same here. We were so close that we're still together on Facebook.