Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Looking for someone to make me a map.

Discussion in 'Art Marketplace' started by Adam Calhoun, May 31, 2012.

1. Adam Calhoun

Adam Calhoun New Member VPL Member

It would be similar to a map used on a petsite(in a sense). I do have examples of what i'd like the map to look like. Please Tag Me or PM if interested. Thanks!
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Good luck!

Just a word of advice:
    Don't go for any hourly payment deals.​
    Corzeir and Zei like this.
  3. Adam Calhoun

Thanks for the tip!
  4. Haseshi

Haseshi Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Ohhh, why?
  5. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

Due to an issue I've been witnessing for a while now. But also because hourly payment rates can easily go way over $100 just for one map...​
  6. Kiku

Kiku Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

@Joy
    Personally I think that an hourly payment deal would work as long as the commissioner and the artist have some sort of range agreement or estimate beforehand. Many artists have a decent idea of the time it takes for them to complete an image, and if you work at an hourly rate often and have shown yourself to be consistent with high-quality artwork, I see no reason why an hourly rate should be discouraged.
    Yes, hourly rates probably don't favor the commissioners, as many (not all, but many) petsite owners are hobbyists and cannot afford higher prices. But keep in mind that hourly rates are probably a lot more practical for artists who want to or are able to work at more professional rates. I sound like a broken record, but I do believe that many artists on this forum undercharge themselves, and I definitely have seen artwork here that would be worth over $100. That's why, while I agree that hourly rates aren't the most prudent choice for many owners here, I wouldn't say absolutely /don't/. If you find a trusted artist with high quality work and their payment plans suit your needs, by all means go for it. Just make sure to discuss things with the artist beforehand and make sure you have at least a rough idea of what you're getting.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    Elz, que, vplspride and 2 others like this.
  7. Adam Calhoun

Yes , HiJack the thread.. nice.
  8. vplspride

vplspride Member VPL Member

9. Kiku

Kiku Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

@Adam Calhoun
    I was not in any way trying to 'hijack' your thread, so I'm sorry if you were annoyed or offended in any way.
    Honestly, there are a lot of complexities when trying to purchase art at a fair price, so I was merely trying to respond to advice that I somewhat disagreed with (especially since said advice would cut off a specific group of artists, when only a few are guilty of dishonest overcharging), and offer my own advice to you - which is to buy art carefully and to communicate with the artist.
    I meant to help rather than harm, but if my post genuinely bothers you, I can remove it. In the future, if you don't want the post there, please ask me rather than making a snide comment about the intention of my comment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013