1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Mara no longer has a pound.

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by Joshua-, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Joshua-

Joshua- New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure most of you know it was taken down due to pets being disowned that weren't theirs. After looking into this more I might've actually figured out how to do it, I'm unsure right now. (I can't actually test it....) Many people thought it was hacking, which was poor judgement, it's definitely a glitch within the coding itself. The reason I say this is simply because only pets were targeted, and some of the pets being disowned, the owners hadn't logged on for a while.

That being said one of the managers (higher than admin) has supposedly said that the pound may be closed indefinitely. I don't have access to screencapping this information as I no longer have adult forum access, which is most likely where this was posted. If it's indeed closed indefinitely, it's a real issue. Not just in the sense that players can no longer disown pets, but it just further confirms my beliefs that Ian will only be recycling code he has lying around and fixing server issues when they occur.

Anyways I just thought VPL should know, let the discussion commence.

cpvr likes this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Thanks for updating us. I'm surprised they removed it though, perhaps its down for a recode?

That could be true somewhat. @Joshua-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Micky

Micky Always online, ping me! [Mythflow] Moderator VPL Donator VPL Member Pet Game Owner Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
    When I read the title "Mara no longer has a pound" I read it as "Mara lost a pound" , ex. losing weight. o____o

Oh dear.

Velxeor, Gabby, Lauren and 1 other person like this.
  4. que

que Supporter VPL Donator VPL Member Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
    @Neon - to fit in to that little black dress.

Velxeor, Micky, Undel and 2 others like this.
  5. santamynana

santamynana CEO of MoonFire Gaming LTD VPL Donator VPL Member Pet Game Owner Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
  6. cpvr

Reputations:
    Was there anything posted in the forums/news about it? Ian doesn't visit here anymore. I haven't seen him on MSN in a while either, so hopefully a staff member can let us know.

7. Mango

Mango New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Shaggybear said it on the help forums. Nothing has really been said on the adult forum apart from people want the pound back.

8. cpvr

Reputations:
    Can you quote what Shaggybear said? It's a strange move to remove the pound though. But, it could be very buggy, so Ian took it down for a recode or something? If users want, they could use the pet trading system, right?

9. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Member VPL Member Approved VPL Artist

Reputations:
    but where will all the abandoned pets go ヽ(´□`。)ノ

10. Mango

Reputations:
    Shaggybear said "The pound may stay closed forever" here http://www.marapets.com/topics.php?id=2377400&fid=31&myposts=1729

Some people say it was a glitch and others say it was a hacker. I was online at the time. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it was a hacker because only the best named and best statted pets were getting put in the pound, but not all of them. When people claimed the pets from the pound they were being pounded again or jumping from one person to another. When people were posting on the forums that their pets hadn't been taken, the next minute one was taken. It's like they were reading the forums. I'm not pretending to know much about coding though, it could be that. I just think that a hacker was more likely.

11. Joshua-

Reputations:
    Well it wasn't a hacker, it was a glitch, just not a random one. Someone found something in the coding that allowed them to disown pets without logging onto that persons account. One of the accounts hadn't been logged onto for a very long time, and if that's not enough proof, because it could be buggy as all hell. (I don't know) Why wouldn't they of moved onto something more devious? Why only pets, if they were on the persons account? You could do so much more damage, yeah? Imagine dumping 1000's of items in the pot of gold, deleting them, trading for nothing, putting up for auction at absurdly low prices. Doing something like this would take staff ages to fix.

12. Mango

Reputations:
    You could be right Joshua.

13. cpvr

Reputations:
    I could of sworn Marapets was more secured than that. That's a real bad bug to have.

14. Joshua-

Reputations:
    I don't recall the exact age Ian started mara at, but he was pretty young. Over the years I've found multiple duping methods which is why I worked with staff on an unofficial basis, so something like this wouldn't be far fetched to say the least. I would guarantee there're more flaws in the coding still, but it's been a while since I've been able to confirm anything substantial.

15. cpvr

Reputations:
    He was about 14 or 15. The last major issue Mara had was Infamous made those cookie grabbers.

16. cpvr

Reputations:
    The pound is back open:
    @Joshua-