Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Marapets Staff

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by RunDMC, Jan 8, 2012.

1. RunDMC

RunDMC Banned Banned

Reputations:
    I'm so upset about how much of a crap site marapets is turning into, that I don't even know where to start.

Things to talk about: Staff/Ian and the forums.

Staff - I think the only way for a site to actually be successful in the long run, is to have staff that know how to be respectful to all of their members even if they've had a bad run in with the member before. Staff should be responsible enough to know what is appropriate and what is not.

Example:

Appropriate: Discussing someones punishment amongst other staff members and only staff members.
    Inappropriate: Discussing how to punish a member for something that they've done wrong with the person that reported them or any non staff member on the site.

When you're staff, you have to use your BEST judgement and stop worrying about how to satisfy your friends that aren't staff. This is one of marapets biggest problems. Certain members get away with murder, scamming, being blatantly disrespectful to other members because they know that almost every staff member with power will shrug it off and leave them unchecked.

Another growing problem is that certain forums such as Random Chat and Adult Chat are getting too much power. They shouldn't be able to influence staff that much. There have been recent instances of people getting fired as staff, underaged and even banned because a few members that abuse all of their connections with staff whine to their staff friends about the person. How is that okay? It is really that difficult to grasp the idea that staff are staff because they're the ones that should make decisions, not the average, egotistical, angst player on marapets?

Marapets is like high school all over again. It's embarrassing.

What am I even saying? lol It just infuriates me that so many things are ignored on the site.

Oh, the professional issue. If someone doesn't know how to answer a support ticket without answering it in a) unreadable tones b) happy tone - they shouldn't be able to answer tickets. If you don't know the answer to a question or a complaint that was submitted, DON'T ANSWER IT. Click away from that particular ticket and do something else. Saying: I'm staff and I know what's best, as a reply to a ticket is not professional. It literally screams "I don't know what I'm doing so I'm going to be rude instead."

Staff have made a bad habit of having these unsaid rules that apparently are "common knowledge on the site." I'm sorry but if a rule instead in the rule section (which haven't been updated since the middle of 2007) or in fine print somewhere, THEY AREN'T RULES. That's just a staff member waiting to go on a power trip. They have also forgotten how to issue warnings to members. They punish the person and then wait a few days before telling the person what they did wrong. Back in the good and happy days of marapets, you would get a WARNING alert in your inbox and it would tell you what you did wrong, a suggestion how to go about it next time and what will happen if you do it again. Is it really that difficult to give warnings or to update the rules? It shouldn't be.

If you complain about marapets, you get forum banned, underaged or banned - when I say complain, I mean stating your frustration about things like rare and retired items being release in account upgrades, or not being given a warning, slow reply time for a support ticket that you sent in, making topics that aren't really aimed at anyone in particular, unfair punishment. Isn't customer support supposed to HELP the site? If people are constantly complaining about something, wouldn't it be smart to listen to what people have to say instead of ignoring them or deleting what they said?

I don't know what else there really is to say without swearing and being vulgar so I think I'll stop there.

tl;dr - Staff need a reality check and realize that it's not just Ian's bad decisions that are causing marapets to slowly die, it's the lack of propriety and general disregard of what's actually right and what's not professional. Staff needs to learn how to be staff again. It's pathetic.

2. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    This is a problem of many pet sites in general. Maybe not in those specific examples you've used but many sites have staff issues and even owner issues for that matter. I don't see this as something that will be fixed on sites though because it is always the same thing... certain users will begin to see problems and voice their concerns and staff will get defensive and other members will start flaming those with concerns because they are being brown nosers. Which give the staff a false sense of reality because people aren't sticking up for them because it's what they truly believe people will stick up for them becasue they think it's going to score them points with staff and get them free stuff lol XD

So I see your concerns. IT upsets me too. I'm looking forward to waiting for a site to come out that has better professional qualities and higher standards of service to their users. Until then... well forget sites like Marapets or the ones I am thinking of in my head lol.

3. Minaj

Minaj New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm a long time Marapets player, and it's hard to just forget sites.
    You get so accustomed to a way of life, that it just seems natural and you can't stop... especially after all your hard work on it.
    Yes, this site, might I say, is a bit... no, almost totally totalitarian. It seems only a few moderators are down to earth, and almost all the "old staff", and even the new, think they are on cloud 9 on the top of the world.
    They ignore opinions, and it's not right. Everyone has their right to one, it's just not civil.

4. Drea

Drea Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    This is why I only play on sites with good staff... I can't be bothered by crappy owners and staff anymore. I just stick with the good ones and throw the rest out the window... xD

I completely understand your concerns, though. I've gone through almost all of what you've mentioned on other websites, and it makes me sick. I just can't deal with it anymore.

5. Minaj

Reputations:
    Thing is, it wasn't ALWAYS like this, or at least, it wasn't so strict. It seems as if they are trying to make their mark now, just because they never had before.

6. Ricky

Ricky Guest

Reputations:
    What makes a good petsite, Is nice staff. you know ?
    Staff that are willing to have a joke with memebers, not to serious but will punish if necessary.
    The best example of nice staff I have played with has to be Paladore.com.
    The staff respect the players and have a laugh with them too. But taking it to far will get you punished.

Petsites like marapets lack nice staff that talk to the players.

7. RunDMC

RunDMC Banned Banned

Reputations:
    They had made their mark before. People used to respect and feel comfortable getting problems solved by staff and now it's just chaos. The lack of communication is just never going to help marapets get out of the hole that it's in.

8. RunDMC

RunDMC Banned Banned

Reputations:
    I don't think being nice has much to do with it. They just don't know how to be professional and actually do their job.

9. Organic

Organic Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Minaj

I totally agree. I have been obsessed with sites who have made very poor choices. I'm not sure how you feel about it but eventually the way I break away from them is understanding that if I'm not part of the solution that I"m part of the problem and that if I keep playing a site and encourage that kind of behavior by communicating that no matter what they do I will still stick around and take it, that I am ultimately encouraging and telling them it's ok. So there are at least two sites in particular that I am very attached to but at this current point in time I will not allow myself to play because I feel it would be irresponsible.

I'm not saying that you should necessarily see it that way or that you are wrong for being attached but maybe if you looked at it that way you could pull away from them?

In the long run I think the only way these things will change is if all users make a stand and refuse to play until they have improved. That probably won't happen lol but here is to hoping.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  10. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    @RunDMC:
    I think its always been like this though. They've always banned people or kicked them off the forums if they'd complain. Who are their staff members these days anyways? And when were they hired? Because I remember back in the day they had good staff members, and their @gmail account was usually answered on a daily basis, but that's not the case anymore.

11. Minaj

Reputations:
    Some include Shaggybear, midnightsunrise, funnyyulgang, nicky79, Piano_Lady, hunnie, unicorn_misscheif, and Xaenthe. There's more, I'm just a bit too lazy to grab them all. C:

12. cpvr

Reputations:
    Ya, Shaggybear has been staff for years. Are the newer staff members the only ones not taking care of business or something?

13. RunDMC

RunDMC Banned Banned

Reputations:
    @cpvr-
    I don't think it was always like that. You could post your opinions and concerns without your blog or topic being deleted within 30 seconds of it being posted. You could engage in a decent conversation about the issue without people taking offense and reporting you. The current staff/staff that are online the most: Shaggybear, midnightsunrise, funnyyulgang, Piano_Lady, nick76, and a lot of moderators.

-e- Shaggy is one of the staff members that listens to other non-staff members when it comes to punishing people. She also has a bad habit of being catty when replying to support tickets and banning people without fair warning.

The new staff members aren't even useful.

14. DaSpork

DaSpork New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm going to put this out there. I was one of the recent members that had actions taken against me. They said it was in the rules. When I asked which specific rule I had broken, they could NOT tell me which one. Instead I was harassing members. Ok given I wasn't the nicest person that day. But when I'm being attacked for actually defending the ridiculous owner of the site... come on. It got to the point people would complain about everything. It was getting OLD to the point where chatting there wasn't fun anymore. It was all in their ADULT FORUM, please their adults act worse then the kids. I miss Jory and a few other OLD staff members. Shaggy need to pull her head out of Ian's 4th point of contact, and take the stick that has a few members lodged up her fourth point of contact.

Being a staff member is hard, I've been staff on a few RPG sites. Sure you have friends, it's easy to make friends. But when that friend crosses the line, you need to put aside that friendship and set them straight on the site. IF they get angry about it, then forget them they were never really friends to begin with. It's to the point where you can even read on the owner's fb wall that he only brought out new account upgrades just to pay his credit card bills and finance his trips. Then once he realized we were reading it, he deleted the post. SMOOTH MOVE might help if you actually make it so your stupid FB can't be seen by others. It's frustrating and not even fun. I'm looking for a new pet site now. Shame I actually spent real money on it to have fun.

15. cpvr

Reputations:
    Ya, that's just crazy and ridiculous.

16. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    The last line of your post there annoys me...

There may be a lot of staff on Marapets that are 'corrupt', but I know quite a few who are not.
    Rottielover72 and Tishalook are just a few of the ones I could name.

Also, there are still some good things about Marapets.. though it may seem rare.
    I know of this because I'm one of the players of Mara that was there in it's early days.

I've not lost hope in it, but it's a sad thing to watch happen.

- Martyn

17. DaSpork

DaSpork New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Martyn,

I agree, Rottielover and Tisha are wonderful and X is too. Funyyulgang was fun too. But it's the top people who haven't done anything in MONTHS now all of a sudden just come back on. It's biased and unfair. And it's not fair to the staff who are good and care. I've been there for over 5 years.. and now it's just losing the fun.

18. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Would complain about how some people are on the forums but RC has eyes on this site and they are the ones with staff connections there. Don't want to cause trouble for myself or anyone else here who plays more then I already have through complaining on another topic.

Let's just say, Mara is exactly like high school. We have pricks, trolls, douche bags, you name it, we got it.

There's only three or maybe four I like on Mara, a few mods and one admin. Other then that, Mara staff is utter crap.

19. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    @DaSpork @cpvr @God @RunDMC @Minaj @Sirkowskii

I'd like to post something I wrote in April 2010 in a blog on Marapets (this has not been deleted yet):

I think that sums up perfectly how a lot of people feel about Marapets right now.
    Wouldn't you agree?

20. cpvr

Reputations:
    I wrote a blog post on Marapets a few months ago and I agree. It's Ian fault what has happened to the site - especially the not updating and such. He used to update the site constantly with new things.