Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.

Meebo Shutting Down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabby, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

It looks like Meebo Messenger is shutting down. :( Very sad for me to face. I've had an account with them since 2006. I used Meebo quite often during 2009 and 2010. Those were the years it hit the droid and I used the app to abusive extents.. Lol

This means users will no longer be able to access Meebo and Meebo's products such as AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc. This is hard for me to see. Meebo was a great product. What a shame.

The cause of it's death? Google's acquisition. Shortly after the acquisition was finalized, Google posted https://www.meebo.com/support/article/175/ and it is breaking the hearts of many.

Some alternatives to Meebo: AIM Express, eBuddy, Digsby, imo.im, Trillian (source: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/10/with-meebo-shutting-down-here-are-some-alternatives/). Or you could just download the program itself, but some people do not prefer it

What's everyone's opinion on this? What does everything think? Personally, July 11th will be a very sad day in internet history for me. :(

Addition: Meebo Bar will still be visible and accessible to webmasters, but I'm afraid to say that's the start of a slow death. I haven't really seen any webmasters use meebo bars in frequency where they will stay alive - unless I'm on a Webs RPG - but Webs and Meebo have had an age old agreement already...
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Organic

Organic VPL Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

Ive been using imo.im and I'm really very satisfied with it. Messengers are a dime a dozen to me I can't say that it's that upsetting to me. For me I'd just grab another if imo.im got shut down.

I'm really terribly sorry that you were so attached to meebo and they killed it for you though :'(
  3. Gabby

@Love I've grown away from it, it's the memories you don't forget.:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Most of Meebo's staff members are now going to work for Google - meaning, they'll help them in regards to Google+ It's a good move, but it looks like they brought Meebo for its staff members and not so much for their features, because Google already has an IM service called gTalk, and yes, it's heart-breaking, but these things tend to happen when a business is purchased by a larger company.
  5. Kiara

Kiara Moderator Moderator VPL Member

I used this a few times when I didn't have any other option so it's weird seeing it shut down. After all those years, it seemed just like a staple of the internet.
    Gabby likes this.
  6. Gabby

Great way to say it, @Kiara. That's the sad part. And @cpvr, they run everything x_x
  7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I know right, but its also an old service, and plus, their employees know a lot about social - so Google is probably trying to re-invent themselves in social networking side of the Internet, because Google+ doesn't have a whole lot of engagement, currently, but they do have about 100 million users on the site already.
  8. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Stinky mo-minky Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Google was NOT the downfall of meebo.
    The team wasn't making enough funds from it, so they sold it. And just in time it seems..
    Google now realizes they cannot profit from it, so they are closing it down, but are keeping up the search bar in hopes it can bring them in some extra money.

That is what I heard.
  9. Wrath

Wrath Retired Moderator Approved Artist VPL Member

I used Meebo all the time,used to ;n; I use Skype now, since most of my friends migrated to that messenger.
    It was such a magnificent way to have all of your messengers bunched into one, though. I thought it just meant that specific messenger, not Meebo in it's entirety! What terrible news =(
  10. Cayda

Cayda Member VPL Member

I was also upset at the downfall of meebo. I switched to Trillian today after almost four years of using meebo x.x I have to say, I really do like Trillian much more, including the desktop client.
    Gohawk likes this.