Welcome to Virtual Pet List

Wanting to the biggest Virtual Pet forum on then net? Feel free to sign up today.

1. online virtual  pet site with mmorpg elements join a spooky virtual pet game! VigLink badge

Find virtual pet sites, sim games or role playing games to play.
    Other websites that we own: virtual pets blog - Admin Forum
    Please follow our Rules!
    Are you creative? Then come and participate in our $100 posting contest

Meebo Shutting Down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabby, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Supporter
    VPL Supporter Retired VPL Staff Intermediate Programmer

It looks like Meebo Messenger is shutting down. :( Very sad for me to face. I've had an account with them since 2006. I used Meebo quite often during 2009 and 2010. Those were the years it hit the droid and I used the app to abusive extents.. Lol

This means users will no longer be able to access Meebo and Meebo's products such as AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc. This is hard for me to see. Meebo was a great product. What a shame.

The cause of it's death? Google's acquisition. Shortly after the acquisition was finalized, Google posted https://www.meebo.com/support/article/175/ and it is breaking the hearts of many.

Some alternatives to Meebo: AIM Express, eBuddy, Digsby, imo.im, Trillian (source: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/10/with-meebo-shutting-down-here-are-some-alternatives/). Or you could just download the program itself, but some people do not prefer it

What's everyone's opinion on this? What does everything think? Personally, July 11th will be a very sad day in internet history for me. :(

Addition: Meebo Bar will still be visible and accessible to webmasters, but I'm afraid to say that's the start of a slow death. I haven't really seen any webmasters use meebo bars in frequency where they will stay alive - unless I'm on a Webs RPG - but Webs and Meebo have had an age old agreement already...

#1 Gabby, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    support our sponsor and join today
  2. Organic

Organic Supporter
    VPL Supporter VPL Member

Ive been using imo.im and I'm really very satisfied with it. Messengers are a dime a dozen to me I can't say that it's that upsetting to me. For me I'd just grab another if imo.im got shut down.

I'm really terribly sorry that you were so attached to meebo and they killed it for you though :'(

3. Gabby

Gabby Supporter

@LoveLove I've grown away from it, it's the memories you don't forget.:)

#3 Gabby, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder
    Administrator VPL Member

Top Poster Of Month

Showcase Items:
    Most of Meebo's staff members are now going to work for Google - meaning, they'll help them in regards to Google+ It's a good move, but it looks like they brought Meebo for its staff members and not so much for their features, because Google already has an IM service called gTalk, and yes, it's heart-breaking, but these things tend to happen when a business is purchased by a larger company.

5. Kiara

Kiara the queen
    Retired VPL Staff VPL Member

I used this a few times when I didn't have any other option so it's weird seeing it shut down. After all those years, it seemed just like a staple of the internet.

Gabby likes this.
  6. Gabby

Gabby Supporter

Great way to say it, @KiaraKiara. That's the sad part. And @cpvrcpvr, they run everything x_x

#6 Gabby, Jun 13, 2012
  7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder
    Administrator VPL Member

Top Poster Of Month

Showcase Items:
    I know right, but its also an old service, and plus, their employees know a lot about social - so Google is probably trying to re-invent themselves in social networking side of the Internet, because Google+ doesn't have a whole lot of engagement, currently, but they do have about 100 million users on the site already.

#7 cpvr, Jun 13, 2012
  8. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Stinky mo-minky
    Approved Writer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Google was NOT the downfall of meebo.
    The team wasn't making enough funds from it, so they sold it. And just in time it seems..
    Google now realizes they cannot profit from it, so they are closing it down, but are keeping up the search bar in hopes it can bring them in some extra money.

That is what I heard.

9. Wrath

Wrath Retired Moderator
    Inactive VPL Artist VPL Member

I used Meebo all the time,used to ;n; I use Skype now, since most of my friends migrated to that messenger.
    It was such a magnificent way to have all of your messengers bunched into one, though. I thought it just meant that specific messenger, not Meebo in it's entirety! What terrible news =(

10. Cayda

Cayda Junior Programmer
    Junior Programmer VPL Member

I was also upset at the downfall of meebo. I switched to Trillian today after almost four years of using meebo x.x I have to say, I really do like Trillian much more, including the desktop client.

Gohawk likes this.