Virtual pets and Sim games community

Would you like to become a member of the most successful virtual pets and sim games community on the internet today? We've been opened since 2011 and since then, we've been providing web game developers, artists, players and writers with the most relevant, up to date, quality and in depth content covering the entire online browser based games industry. So, if you virtual pet games, game development or online sims, our forum is perfect for you. Our sneak peeks forum is designed for new owners to showchase their upcoming in dev games.

Discuss online pet game management or developing a sim game.

1. Guest,

When you buy something off another VPL member, then please be sure to leave a transaction review about your experience as a buyer or seller about the other person. You can do this here! This will help all future transaction as many people look at past experiences before they decide to work for someone! So if you want to be ahead of the game, leave a review! Its fast, free and can help in many ways! \ In the future, we'll implement an itrader plugin that'll handle feedback for both buyers and sellers.

The VPL Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. An upcoming virtual pet site that's owned by one of our moderators, Pepper-headIn icey them pet game Kaylune, a virtual pet site Breed online pet
    VigLink badge
    Novilar opening up for beta September 16 - Beastkeeper
    breed horses on this very active sim game

Browse our Online Games Directory
    Promote VPL - advertise here
    Admin and webmasters community - Browser games
    $100 posting contest

Moderator Training

Discussion in 'Completed Transactions' started by Archfiend, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I know this is a shot in the dark -- one which many people will be uninterested in, but I am in search of someone who can train me in the ways of proper moderating. I currently work for Majista as well, so please keep that in mind.

Here are some details about myself, so you know a little more about me.

Name: Angel Hill (Prefer to be called Gabe, Gable, Gabriel. Friends call me Mori.)
    Birth-date: May 26, 1994

I would prefer that this training take place over skype, or on an already-live petsite. In my experience, there isn't much moderating to be done in-development.

If you need any information, feel free to comment, PM, or add me on Skype: Escaea

FTR; I am also willing to help out with writing on-site. This is something that would have to be discussed with the moderating position, since I am not looking to take the two on separately.

Your banner/button can be located here for an entire month or year, please see our advertising on virtualpetlist thread for more information.

2. #2 Gabby, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  3. @GabbyGabby
    Currently I'm working as a writer/CEO. I was an artist, but due to wrist-and-tablet troubles, I cannot continue to do that.
    In the end, being a CEO, I will be moderating there as well. I have no life, though, and splitting my time between two sites shouldn't be all that difficult.

#3 Archfiend, Mar 5, 2013
  4. @Gabriel Hart Good luck then :) If my friend's site was up, I'd take the time to welcome you on board and train you. But unfortunately it's in development. v.v

5. @GabbyGabby
    As long as there is a way to be trained, I don't mind the in-development part. In my experience, there is little moderation to be done in-development. Granted, I've only worked for a few small teams... xD
    That being said, feel free to PM me about this any time. c:

#5 Archfiend, Mar 5, 2013
  6. Good luck finding some help/ training!

My best advice would be to keep your calm. As moderator you will more then likely encounter a lot of great people! But there will also be a few who will want to play nasty games with you, and if you let it get to you, you may just be egging them on.

As moderator/ CEO it's also your job to set an example, so clear knowledge and understanding of the sites rules is a must! Keep yourself up to date! And if you are away or on vacation for a long period of time, be sure to ask co workers for a brief update on what has been happening while you were gone.

7. *comes in as a flying helicopter*

I have no experience with pet sites but I DO have experience with big kids/teens virtual communities in terms of moderating, customer service, etc.

If you want me to train you (these would be general principles/tips/ideas rather than "In this situation, you should really be doing this...", although I can do that as well!) then accept my contact request on Skype. :)

8. You're welcome to check this out: http://www.virtualpetlist.com/showthread.php/8297-The-Importance-of-Testing-Moderators
    The guide is intended for owners in hiring mods as staff though it may give you some things to think about.

I suggest reading up on human psychology, particularly in children/parenting. (As funny as that sounds...you'd be surprised.) It would probably be a good idea to look into people with anger management and how professionals deal with them. Looots of psychology :)

I would also look into understanding the legalities of pet sites and gaming sites in general. Practice going on different sites and reading/analyzing/understanding the different rules/terms/etc. each site has.

Remember that wording things carefully is extremely important. You wants your ideas/thoughts very well conveyed. You'll probably find people try to take things out of context and you need to be prepared for that.