Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

MySQL() Function Deprecation in PHP 5.4

Discussion in 'Programming General' started by nobackseat, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nobackseat

nobackseat Member VPL Member

So this is some big news, PHP will be deprecating all mysql() functions in PHP starting at version 5.4. Although this is only a 'soft' deprecation, it should still say a lot about what you should be using to power the database communication.

Some good alternatives are PDO and MySQLi. PDO is great, and using Juddster's database class makes it easy to implement.

It will probably be yearssssssssssssss before hosts generally began to adopt 5.4 into their shared hosting, but still, 5.4 is already in alpha releases, so move fast to stay modern!

(Using a PHP framework, I have nothing to worry about. :))

If you don't know if your site uses mysql(), then it probably does, as it is the most common way to communicate with the database.

This release will also completely remove register_globals, make short tags work regardless of configuration, FastCGI Process Manager is officially added, new syntax for arrays, built-in HTTP server, show progress of uploads, and E_ALL really shows all errors. :D

I'm not sure yet if they're having APC come included. Anybody know?

I know if I had a site, I'd already be testing it on it. There are lots of performance improvements.

What do you guys think of this?

NBS
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    Earth likes this.
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. GGitzOle

GGitzOle Guest

Why are they getting rid of the mysql() function(s)?
  3. Andy

Andy New Member VPL Member

They're old functions, they promote insecure programming and they lack modern features.

You're expected to use the mysqli library or pdo instead of the mysql functions now. But they're not being 'removed' really, just deprecated. You'll get a notice (or warning?) when you use those functions, but they'll still work as they did before.
  4. GGitzOle

GGitzOle Guest

hmm what modern features do they lack?
  5. Andy

Andy New Member VPL Member

Prepared statements, multiple statements, transactions, cursors, stored procedures, oop interface, and more.
  6. Excel

Excel Member VPL Member

Pretty much everything haha. I think the main thing is that they force you to sanitize for SQL injection, where as pretty much any other method of connecting with the database does most of that for you.

mysqli and pdo allow for prepared statements...
    Technically, it doesn't protect from sql injections any better than the old mysql module, just makes doing it easier for the developer, who can now use prepared statements instead of calling mysql_real_escape_string.

And then there's all the things Andy listed. mysql_XXX is soo 1990s :p
  7. BigThinker

BigThinker VPL Supporter VPL Supporter

As a beginner just learning how to code, should I learn how to code with the oldschool way of doing MySQL and then learn the new one or just skip the old one? is there a tutorial out there for it?
  8. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

I would suggest not learning mysql. No reason to spend time learning it if it is just going to be deprecated. Learn PDO or mysqli. (Should be easy to go back and learn mysql once you learn these ;) )
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. nobackseat

nobackseat Member VPL Member

Hi @BigThinker,

I definitely suggest you learn mysql_*() functions. As a programmer, it really does benefit to have a broad skill set and be flexible. Since it is the most common method, I suggest you learn it as a good foundation, and then build upon it to the more advanced techniques.

Good luck.

NBS
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  10. BigThinker

BigThinker VPL Supporter VPL Supporter

Alright.. I'll take a gander at both. I'm learning about arrays and stuff now so I am still quite a ways away from databases. :)
  11. righteousfail

righteousfail Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

12. myrianna

myrianna Approved Artist Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Member

I might as well go through it now... not that hard or time consuming with find+replace xd. Just got to remember to do it this way with future stuff
  13. judda

judda Bringer of Awesome Moderator Programming Moderator

This is where abstracting away the actual database object helps a fair bit. If you had abstracted it, then this change would be in 1 file instead of trickled through multiple.

~judda
  14. Hituro

Hituro VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

15. SpotOnTech

SpotOnTech New Member VPL Member

Working on a few sites lately I've ran into multiple $_GET and $_POST that are in free air and not escaped in any way, shape or form. I think it would have been nice if the mysql() functions would have thrown an automatic fatal error if they're not escaped. I think PDO will be nice, but it's sure hard when you have a site that's fully coded using all mysql and there is no function library or master includes in place.
  16. Avalanche

Avalanche VPL Supporter VPL Supporter

Thankfully, SQL stays pretty much the same. It's just the names of the functions you really have to worry about.
  17. judda

You do realize that that is not physically possible for these functions to do this. How do they know that you are not trying to "DELETE FROM users WHERE userid = '1' OR 1=1--"? How is the function to know that? Yes, you can because you are able to look at the context of the code and make an informed decision however, the database is just doing exactly what it is being told.

TBH, people should never include the user's input directly into a query. They should be using query parameters. This avoid the need to escape the strings all together.

~judda
    nobackseat likes this.
  18. SpotOnTech

The Zend engine can already parse out bad data (mysql_real_escape_string anyone?). Why can't mysql() do it anyway? If a user is trying to DELETE * FROM dbtable then they deserve to have bad things happen. That's what DROP is for.
  19. judda

DROP is for dropping tables ... not emptying them. They are two completely different things.

What functions / objects in the Zend framework do you use for that. I would like to read up on it (because I don't believe it works that way).

~judda
  20. SpotOnTech