Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

not paid for 4th of July?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myztacia, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

So, I was just told that I'm not being paid for the 4th of July. As a full-time employee, I should be receiving this pay. I think the reason they decided not to pay me is because they requested me to come in and work overtime and I refused...

So! Today is going to be an interesting, argumentative day. I was given a promotion (with no pay raise, of course)...the promotion was a mandatory thing...and I think that is going to be involved in this discussion, too.

Any of you ever have something crappy and unexpected like this happen?
  2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I'd like to call bullshit because I've worked before on the day of 4th of July, and after, and still got paid for it. They also paid us overtime for coming in on the holiday. I don't see why they wouldn't give you a promotion with no pay raise. That's ridiculous.

On holidays they always paid us a set 8 hours.

And they still need to pay you for the holiday even if you decided not to come in for overtime. I understand not coming in the day after and not getting paid, but this? I don't understand it.
  3. Myztacia

Yeah x.x They're a small company, so I'm thinking they think they can get away with whatever they want. I'm not mad about the "promotion" because it's a great resume builder.

I was there every day that week except the 4th :( Because of me bitching about this to the owner, now no one is getting paid for the 4th unless those people came in to work. *sighs*
  4. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

Wow, this is bullshit :/ You should have been paid overtime and given holiday pay. Can't you sue them for this? I'm pretty sure it's breaking a few laws
  5. cpvr

Ya, see, companies out here pay you for the day before the holiday, and the holiday. And if you're on vacation, you still get paid for the holiday. That's weird its probably because they're a small company like you stated. Does it have a human resources department? If they do, you should speak to them instead.
  6. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Moderator Programming Moderator Senior Programmer Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter

I don't understand. Why should you be paid for a day when you didn't work?
  7. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

I was confused about that also. I think he might have gotten his words confused, but if he did work he should be paid overtime
  8. cpvr

http://www.opm.gov/operating_status_schedules/fedhol/2012.asp

And this http://humanresources.about.com/od/glossaryh/g/paid_holidays.htm
    Those are paid holidays that most companies should follow and pay their employees.
    Lewis likes this.
  9. Myztacia

What @cpvr said :) It's in the employee handbook as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  10. cpvr

That, so you should get paid for it. Don't let your boss not pay you for it especially if its in the handbook as well. He can get in a lot of trouble for that as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013