Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Pet redraws: have any disappointed you over the years

Discussion in 'Virtual Pets Chat' started by cpvr, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Pet sites sometimes redraw some of the older pets to make them a lot better and appeal to more people. But, has there been any redraws that disappointed you? How about pissed you off because maybe your favorite pet got ruined? Or, has there been any pet redraws that you were pleased about?
  2. Kiara

Kiara Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm going to do the obvious and say Neopets. Any pet that wasn't quad is basically ruined for me now because they made the customization versions have those stupid fist/hands to hold things. The hissi was one of my favorite pets and now I can barely stand my old favorite pet because his wings were turned into hands.

[​IMG] --> [​IMG]

They also ruined the Lutari for me. It went from being adorable to being an ugly bipedal otter thing.

[​IMG] --> [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Cupcakes

Cupcakes Supporter VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Can we just say every neopets redraw? lol
  4. Elz

Elz Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Never much looked at Neopets art; but wow. XD I agree with what Kiara said D:

Other than that, not really - I often think redraws (except neopets!) are for the better.
  5. Rhaz

Rhaz Member VPL Member

Reputations:
  6. Corleone

Corleone Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Lol dafuq with the first two Bruce pets?
  7. cpvr

Reputations:
    That all depends, are the only site that has received somewhat bad redraws, or has any other pet site underwent redraws - either where the pet was made uglier, or better?
  8. Cupcakes

Cupcakes Supporter VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    Well, the only pet sites I really played seriously were neopets and verpets. The verpets redraws - I haven't had a problem with any of them. But when you go from this:
    ucroyal.jpg
    To this:
    [​IMG]
    I think most of the users were pretty upset.
  9. Gwonk

Gwonk New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm never really a fan of redraws unless the community actually wants them.
  10. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    Before Neopets changed all the pets into those stupid customise lets-dress-them-up-in-outfits some of them looked better on the original revamps; buzz, kyrii, jubjub, koi, lupe mynci (even though I hate monkeys), tuskaninny and wocky - personally.

Marapets - HATED the fasoro revamp, I've posted this somewhere on here before but if you look at these two; the black one and the blue one. the black one is the old style and the blue one is the new style. personally, the old one looks way way WAAAAAY better.

[​IMG]

Subeta - Didn't like the Hipposaru revamp
    Original:
    [​IMG]
    New:
    [​IMG]

Didn't like the Anyu revamp, but I can't find an image of the original Anyu but I remember it looked cuter and younger, the revamp made it look older.

And I didn't like the Sheeta update, it wasn't as bad as the other two because I did just kinda accept it and get used to it.

Original:
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

There was a dragon-type pet that was revamped, which I then got because I liked the revamp I can't think what its called but there's one that looks like Spyro the Dragon, its not that one its the other dragon pet they had. And I remember a lot of users didn't like the revamp of this dragon so that was why the Mahar (which I think used to be Sage) was then made because it was more like the original dragon pet before it was revamped.

I'll go through HQ in a minute or so and see if I can find the one that I mean.

Apart from these, I can't think of any others that I didn't like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  11. Panda!

Panda! Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I was gonna say this too, I'm glad I'm not the only one
    Also the Azul:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Old-->New Couldn't find the old red one, sorry)

The Addow:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Azuls were my favorite pets before the revamp =/

I also really do not like Boopet's new pets, but I think I understand his reasoning for doing so..
  12. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner Banned

Reputations:
    I never noticed those pets were revamped - I became pretty inactive after Fasoro was revamped, I just do the dailies when I can actually be bothered on there now. So pretty much the same as Neopets, do the dailies and then go.

Which Boopets were revamped? I joined it early, but then lost the password, got it back, then it broke XD Supposed to be going on the email address its linked with to reset it again. - Doing that now actually.
  13. Quetzal

Quetzal Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I have to agree with Neopets. I really loved the unique poses they gave to the more "special" colours. When those were revamped, not only the pose was lost, but so were their "personalities" I guess?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now it looks like all of my neopets want to punch my face in.
  14. Dijji

Dijji Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Powerpets. Now, the redraws don't match any of the older art they still have. The pet art is mixed and matched.
    I miss the old Kuvasz art (the Kuvasz was my first pet on Powerpets) it's really ugly now. xD Same with the Somali and the Crocodile.
  15. Coolez

Coolez Living Soul of a Dead Body Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    Neopets. Ugh, I prefer the old Neopets better, even though I was barely there when they revamped it. And verpets, never had much problems with their revamps, I kinda like them, too.
  16. cpvr

Reputations:
    Do you have any of the old images/new images by any chance so we can see the redraws? I know @cameo and @Jokie are their main artists and I've been a fan of their art for years now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Jokie

Jokie New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Yup I can help you here.

Here's the beautiful old Kuvasz that should never have been redrawn
    [​IMG]

And here is the ugly new one that I shouldn't have drawn
    [​IMG]

And if you sense the sarcasm dripping from my words good for you. I'm unrepentant about the pet redraws. They were my idea, Powerpets needed desperately to catch up with the other sites stylistically, and quality-wise. People will always complain simply because they are used to the old image. They will say nasty things about the new art regardless of whether it was an improvement or not.
    The art was always mismatched, because the newer pets being drawn were being drawn better, better anatomy, and a more up to date style. Eventually we hope to finish redrawing all of the old pets.
    Besides, missing the old art is absolutely no excuse to be unfairly judgmental of the new art. Somebody worked hard on that redraw whether you can stand change or not. It's just rude.

On the other hand I've been around long enough to not truly be offended. People complain when things change, that's all there is to it, and most of the time they don't truly think the redraw is 'ugly' so much as they just want the old one back.

I'm confident the pet redraws are a good choice for Powerpets, and we get MANY more positive comments than negative ones, we even give the players the opportunity to give their critique on the redraws (we show them an early version of the redraw), and make changes according to their feedback. I feel we've come up with the most painless way of moving the site forward, while still giving the players a chance to have a hand in the redraws :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    cpvr likes this.
  18. Faiona

Faiona Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    People were upset about that dog being redrawn? It looks so much better, what silly gooses.
  19. Jokie

Jokie New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
  20. rontifu

rontifu Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Neopets, obviously.

The one that I had most problems with is the Halloween Lupe. It went from this badass version:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]