1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Possible Another Neopets Fansite (checking interest)

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Haseshi, May 29, 2012.

1. Haseshi

Haseshi Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    As previously discussed in this thread here: http://www.virtualpetlist.com/showthread.php/10090-Neopets-Fansites

Leopets is a website that is based in the old neopets before conversion, it has a really really really nice community but it lack features. I'm recently scrapped a bunch of old codes from an old pet site that is currently getting re-coded, I have no will to actually sell them away so I think another neopets fansite could be done, but this time, with many features more. All that need to be done is to actually install everything in a domain and upload the content, maybe hire someone for one hour of coding for minimal changes, but everything else is there, from adopt a pet to games. In less than a month it would be ready to run.

I know this is not everybody's cup of tea, so do not blame.

It would be very artists+writer+roleplayer based, and friendly above anything. Does it possibly sound interesting for anyone? I could use some help with modding;;;

2. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Would definitely be interested. Do you plan, if this plan works out, to use old images from Neo or create new ones?

3. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    That sounds awesome. I love the roleplaying, art, and writing portion of the old neopets. ;o; It was my favorite part. Along with the community.

4. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    id be interested based on the art/writing/rp based thing you mentioned
    theres not enough of that in many places!!! i think itd be fun.

5. Haseshi

Reputations:
    The plan is to be like the old neopets, so we would use the old neopets image. But of course, users could add new images and pets and pretties;;

@Zei
    yessssss

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Kiara

Kiara Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'll try anything and I think it's worth a shot.

7. indysolo621

Reputations:
    I could possibly help out with the coding side, as long as I am not too busy. Shouldn't be an issue though since you said you already have most of the scripts.

A few more questions. How do you plan on getting money to keep the site up, since you can't really make any money if you are using copyrighted images? What do you plan on the site being called?

8. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    yeah i was gonna say you cant get far if youre using the images from neopets.com themselves
    you might be able to find an artist or two who can closely emulate the style but come up with new pets themselves
    otherwise you cant do much when you take the images directly from a site, regardless of whether or not theyre in use by the site in question!!!

9. Haseshi

Reputations:
    @indysolo621

Any help with coding would be a bless, I was mostly thinking in setting an application form before users join, just so we can take care of who's getting in. Also, I really don't plan to make this a huge site mainly because it should focus on community, Leopets (which is the main inspiration) have a few members but they are so so so active and friendly, I think everyone that actually plays it will agree.

I don't plan on making any money with the site, like leopets, they run solely in the good will of the owner's wallet. I am a hobbyist and I'm sure I can keep up and running smoothly a small website with out having to torture myself, since mostly of my budget is going to the coding of my non-neopets petsite.

As for the name, I was thinking in calling it something like...Alterneo?

@uglytrolls
    As mentioned above, this is not for the money, this is purely for fun and community. Leopets have been running smoothly for years, and we would fall in the same category as any neopets fansite, we wouldn't be making a single penny out of the images.

10. indysolo621

Reputations:
    So do you plan on, as far as applications go, allowing users to apply anytime and let staff decide whether or not to let the user in? Or only open applications up every once in a while and decided from there which users to let in?

11. Haseshi

Reputations:
    @indysolo621
    open all the time, anytime. Or at least that's what I was thinking

12. Kiara

Reputations:
    I feel like if things are open all the time, the site has the potential to grow way too big to comfortably support without any income. Aywas is application-only and they're just getting to the 40k member mark.

13. indysolo621

Reputations:
    Sounds good to me. If you would be interested in my help with programming feel free to PM me and we can discuss it!

14. Haseshi

Reputations:
    I don't fully understand this. Are you suggesting we have applications open only in set period of time?

@indysolo621
    Thanks a lot, I will think about this whole idea and take some attitude by the end of the week, and by that I mean buying a domain and so on. I found a trust-worthy and very nice hosting company that offers web site hosting with Unlimited Disk Space and Unlimited Bandwidth plus some other things for 20$ a month and such.

15. Kiara

Reputations:
    Unless your standards are going to be super strict, yeah... because it'll just grow and grow until there's no way you can support it yourself. Its just hard to balance out things like that when you can't make profit at all.

16. Zei

Zei zei-art.com Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm no programmer, but if you needed help. Message me, I'm almost always around.

17. Haseshi

Reputations:
    I see your points... yes... makes total sense. I need to think better about this because you surely have a point!

@Zei

thanks a bunch! I will most certainly need any help I can get <3

18. Kiara

Reputations:
    Maybe you could have free applications every once in a while, but a referral system all the time for people to refer friends? /ideas

19. Velxeor

Velxeor Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    If you're going to use images from Neopets, then I suggest you go contact them about it. I believe Leopets had to get their permission to use their images.

20. Haseshi

Reputations:
    @Kiara
    sounds like a good idea

@Velxeor
    really? Do all neopets sites ask permission? The ones like jellyneo, neoextreme, etc;;