Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

Should parents care how you dress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabby, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

http://youtu.be/aerG4c6QpTA

Saw this video a while ago and figured I'd post it to the boards today, since it came up in the related videos for the baby pageant topic.

Personally, I think my mom would have been the same way as the dad for this. She was also concerned if I looked too 'provocative' to her.

in any regard, it reminds me of the FG clip where Chris starts acting out against his parents, forms a band, and Marilyn Manson tells him to chill. Anyone get the reference?
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Well, I dress however I'd like. My parents don't care how I dress because they sometimes buy some clothes for me as well.
  3. Gabby

Any comments on the video? Or are you too busy to watch it cause you're listening to music? Lol
  4. cpvr

Listening to music, you can grab certain parts of the video you think is good, and post to that area of that video - such as, 1 minute, 3 minutes, etc.
  5. Gabby

Not really, the whole video is important
  6. shenzy707

shenzy707 New Member VPL Member

Being an only child and the miracle child of the family, my mom is WAY protective! She checks my clothes when I pick them out. She checks how I look before I walk out of the door for school U.U
  7. -Ro-

-Ro- New Member VPL Member

My parents dont get involved with how I get dress, I guess if I wore something they didnt approve of they would let me know but hasnt happened so far.
  8. Organic

Organic VPL Supporter VPL Supporter VPL Member

I'm conflicted about this. I had a phase like this and it was mostly because I was miserably unhappy and I wanted people to leave me alone. I can think of a million reasons why people would choose a look like this. I mean could be artistic reasons, maybe to more unique, or maybe just because the genuinely like it. For those reasons I htink I would be fine with it but my son would have to understand that by making that choice other people have and will make the choice to treat him differently. To me it is the same kinda thing as gendering. How it would be unacceptable for a guy to wear pink, have long hair, or anything else that society deems un-natural. I am ok with my son being with whoever he wants to be but I think it's important that he understands that doing certain things he is going to be fighting city hall you could say and that people aren't going to look at him with an open mind and they are going to make him miserable and unwanted for his choice. I'm not one to say you should do whatever society wants but a lot of the time you have to compromise just in order to live.

So as long as he was doing it for good reasons and it wasn't effecting who he was like if he started worshipping the devil or became morose and wants to massacre animals lol then I'd back him 100% but also teach him that their are consequences beyond just his father and I for those actions and he'll have to decide what he feels is more important.
  9. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

I'm sorry, but I'm going to be with the dad in the video - at least looking like you're from the 70's is more decent enough than looking like you're too early or too late for a Halloween party.

I'd make endless banter with my kid if they decide to look like that.. Or possible worse, choose to look like a scene-girl/boy.

[​IMG]

N-to-the-O my future children. There's a freshman who really REALLY dyed his hair like this. Yes, it's a man. Yes, he looked ridiculous. More ridiculous than how my boyfriend wears croc shoes. At least croc shoes have purpose: Comfort.

I'd also be a little over-protective if they're wearing indecent clothing.. like miniskirts that ride WAY to high when you bend down to touch your toes.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Encode

Encode Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I feel like I'm having deja vu o__o Has this topic been discussed on here before, or am I just going crazy?

Well, in either case my mother was never judgmental of what I was wearing, and in the end she is far more 'scene kid' than I am (dyed part of her hair purple, has multiple piercings and tattoos. Personally I think she looks awesome.)
    I also think that girl in VanillaEclair's post looks awesome XD It's so cool what people can do with just a bit of different colour and fashion, I adore seeing it.

So, if I did end up raising children, I'd want to teach the same. Even if their sense of fashion isn't something I'd wear myself, I'll encourage them to try things out and experiment. The only thing I'd be directly opposed to is wearing any symbol or language that's hateful I think.
  11. cpvr

Okay, so if someone dresses like a hooker, or has their pants down so much that their boxers show, should parents get involved? Honestly, if my daughter dressed like a hooker, I'd make her change, and check her backpack to make sure she didn't stash clothes.
  12. Evolution

Evolution Administrator Administrator

I would most likely do the same. I don't want my kids looking like that, but I think that they wouldn't do it.
  13. Encode

@cpvr I dunno, what constitutes as dressing like a hooker? Do you mean showing a lot of skin? I don't want to teach my kid to be ashamed of showing off some skin if they want to. I'd be more concerned that they follow the dress code of where they're going (school, a job interview, formal occasions, etc), than if they want to wear a skimpy outfit/really baggy jeans to the mall or something.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  14. cpvr

Well, if your booty shorts have your booty showing through your shorts, and your boobs pop out of your shirt[hanging out], then I'd say that's dressing like a hooker/stripper?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  15. The Little Tree

The Little Tree Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

My main issue, is with the father and the audience bringing a child down like that. The kid seems to have a different view of 'society' than he will in about three years.
    As a child, I'd much rather make my own dress senses. Then again, I dress far more appropriately than my average age group.

Personally, I didn't wear a dress till i was 15. I just didn't wear them, and I cared about how I structured my appearance. For that reason, I think my mother never cared, she was just glad to see me in that reminded her she had a daughter. I haven't seen her interfere much with my clothing, unless I was wearing something that should be ironed or looked even slightly scruffy. Despite that, my dress sense was individual and something I played with.

I would care, if my child looked bad, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. If something clearly didn't suit them, was a waste of money as a 2 minute fad, made them look cheap. Then obviously no.
    I can't imagine my child looking like a hooker, or wearing jeans down to their knees. I just.. don't, I don't understand what would persuade someone to do it. How is it attractive. I mean, I've worn short shorts, laced tights and a one shoulder off top, and I didn't like it. It was fun to chill in at people's houses. But to wear it in public? That wasn't my cup of tea.
    ^ Thats probably, the least I would wear.
    cpvr likes this.
  16. Encode

I guess my mindset for raising kids is a little bizarre. I've already talked on this forum about how my mother always taught me the consequences and false assumptions of things, rather than just tell me not to do them, and I guess it's only natural that I would pass that down as well.

In this case, I think it falls more into the latter. Rather than tell my kid not to wear those things, I'd rather make sure they understand the role clothing plays when people are judging you. That people make a lot of assumptions off of what you wear, and it's up to you if you want to try and send a particular message or even care what that message is.
  17. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

This is so offensive it's ridiculous. 1) Who do you think you are judging people based on their looks? 2) How do you know this person isn't a gender binary person? (aka, maybe they might have been born male but don't feel male and are transgender), 3) See #1.

Personally, my children (if I ever have any) can wear whatever they want as long as it's not like "ghetto," or trashy, that's not happening, but everything else is the sky's limit.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. cpvr

What's your definition of "Ghetto" clothes or trashy? Is this considered dressing "Ghetto" in your eyes?
    [​IMG]

I've been dressing how I like to dress, I was born and raised in the ghetto. Our clothing isn't trashy either. If you wear baggy clothes, and show your boxers, sure that's trashy.
  19. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

Lol, I was thinking ridiculously baggy clothes on the floor, as ghetto.
  20. cpvr

That's the only thing though because other than that, colors do not matter unless you're in a gang-zone - then you have to watch the colors you wear. Such as, I take a trip and go to a "Crip" neighborhood wearing red, they'd charge me up and question me - possibly get killed.

I understand that though because having your pants bag to the floor is very trashy and shows that you don't have any self-respect.

Now, what's your definition of dressing "Trashy" for a lady?