Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Some coding/pricing questions

Discussion in 'Programming Marketplace' started by enraptured, Mar 28, 2012.

1. enraptured

enraptured Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm not entirely hip on the lingo, so please pardon me if I make a fool of myself xD; I'm interested in developing a pet site, and while I intend to start very small and simple with it, there are a few coding things I'd like done and I'm curious mostly how much it would cost. I've found that most freelance coders work by the hour, so I guess my bigger question would be how long it takes to accomplish the following tools?

Firstly, a user database, allowing people to join, modify profiles, view their currencies, etc. As well as access their profile from anywhere on the website.

Second, an inventory, so that people can play games or accomplish tasks and automatically gain items. It can be simple, as I won't be having many items. I guess this would also expand into a pet list/lair/inventory that shows all of a user's pets. I want people to be able to gain pets just by clicking (like an adoption center), but also to send pets back and forth for trade or sales.

And last but not least, I know on Aywas, a user can submit an image of a pet custom and, upon having it accepted by staff, its placed into their pet list. I'm not entirely sure how this is done on there, but I'd like something similar. It wouldn't be for pets, but basically the ability for users to submit pieces of art, along with add-ons/items, so that staff can screen the art and then place it onto the user's account.

I'm not sure how comprehensive any of this is, so any advice or estimates would be greatly appreciated! Thank you <3
  2. RaceTrackRuler

RaceTrackRuler Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Register, Login, Logout - I'll do all 3 for $35
    Profiles - about $15
    Inventory - Really depends on how you want it. But usually starts at $30+
  3. Martyn

Martyn Director of Seripets Pet Game Owner Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Reputations:
    If I'm correct on the pricing..
    For people who want a fixed price, it probably would be in the range of.. about $100 to $150, at the most.
    Considering you've mentioned "User Database/Register & Login/Profiles/Currencies/User Preferences (pretty much modifying their profile)/Inventory/Games or Tasks/Pets/Adoption Center/Trade or Sales/Custom Pets."

Though, now reading through all that.. it sounds complicated, so maybe around $150 to $200 or so.
    I'm not a programmer, but I do own a pet site and have had various quotes.

I'd recommend waiting for a real programmer to come onto the topic... x3
    Just to be safe and stuff. c:
  4. Rozel

Rozel New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well considering you can find a register, login, and logout codes for free on the internet... it seems they wouldn't cost much. I'm not sure how secure the free ones are of course, and I'm not a programmer so I can't say much but I don't know why people ask for so much money on such a simple fundamental code.
  5. RaceTrackRuler

RaceTrackRuler Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    If you knew how to program, you would know why they ask for that price.
  6. tldr

tldr New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well if it's so fundamental, why don't you code it yourself? Running a virtual pet site is not cheap, if you don't have the funds, learn a skill like art or programming and do one aspect yourself and sell some of your work to buy the other aspect, but complaining about standard prices isn't getting you anywhere, especially since @RaceTrackRuler's prices are on the low-side!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Rozel

Reputations:
    Wait a sec. I wasn't complaining. I don't need anyone to program me that. I was just curious, and I apologize if I somehow offended you. I know running a virtual pet site is not cheap, but I thought it was because of servers, programming, artwork, etc... not because of something you can already get for free.

Now, if someone would enlighten me I would be wiser, smarter, and in debt to you. I'm inexperienced and young, so obviously I'm going to be just a little curious. And I'm not going to try programming to see why. Because it's not worth it just to gain a small bit of knowledge when I don't wish to be a programmer. I respect them and understand it's hard work.
  8. Corzeir

Corzeir Coяzeir Aka Roconza Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Rozel

You should really do your homework next time.
  9. Rozel

Reputations:
    That's exactly why I'm asking questions. If nobody wishes to answer me then I'll just take it that it's too complicated to be explained. I didn't think people would be so offended by questions. Curiosity killed the cat, right?
  10. Corzeir

Corzeir Coяzeir Aka Roconza Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:
    Yes, however the way that you stated it seemed you were making assumptions on a subject you knew nothing about. Stating "I don't know why people ask for so much money on such a simple fundamental code." which is rather like saying they over charge on some thing you think is simple.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. Rozel

Reputations:
    Oh sorry. I could have worded that differently. Because it implies that it costs a lot of money. For anyone with a normal job, it isn't that much to pay 15 dollars. But still, I would just set it up myself. Is it because it takes time to put it in and free scripts don't offer the security? Also I imagine the coder would have to make it look nice with a layout and such. I don't want to discuss this too much as it seems a bit touchy. Maybe I should leave this subject alone, lol.
  12. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    The prices quoted thus far are very low. Realize that the median salary of a web developer in the U.S. is about $80,000, which equates to a bit over $38/hour. That figure being a median value, you can expect more experienced developers to demand even more. Sure, you can outsource your work to India on a freelancing site for maybe $10/hour, but all I'll say about hiring whoever charges the lowest is this: you'll generally get what you pay for, and cutting corners will give you code that's either buggy, unmaintainable, or full of security flaws.

Very basic registration and login examples are more-or-less the "hello world"s of web development. Copying and pasting them won't net you anything an experienced developer can write in less than 15 minutes, except maybe some unwanted security flaws (if said examples are geared toward beginners, they'll often leave out essentials like input sanitization). That said.. I hate to say it, but if you're looking to save money by copying and pasting some basic registration and login scripts into your site (which will be so tiny a fraction of the code that you should consider the cost negligible), then maybe it's time to rethink your strategy: perhaps you could try to partner up with somebody and bring your skills to the table rather than hiring them outright.
  13. enraptured

enraptured Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Wow, things have really taken a turn here xD But it's all very informative for me regardless, so I can't complain? ^^;

@RaceTrackRuler
    Whoa, those are really affordable prices! As others have mentioned, I was expecting a lot higher prices, but it's good to know that I can at least get basics down for an affordable cost.

@Martyn
    Thank you again for your input! That's really helpful, more than you might think x3

I do think I'm going to shop around, I can't even afford anything right now, this was really just to get an idea for the future~ But I'm definitely more well informed than I was before ^^
  14. Rozel

Reputations:
    Thank you for your explanation. ^^