Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

Spending Money on Free Games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by jakdacrowe, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jakdacrowe

jakdacrowe Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Just thought of something because of some tiny incident I came across on in Spiral Knights.

Basically, I was in a full 4-man team just beating a boss called the Jelly King. (tier 2 boss)
    But throughout the entire run, some people in my party was calling me an idiot for spending money on a free game. This was just after they were curious on how much Crystal Energy I had and whether I earned it in the game or bought it.

... Excuse me sir. Yes, I know it's possible to get everything in the game eventually through just playing daily/often and saving up Crowns and converting that to Crystal Energy (the "cash shop" currency). And it'll probably take a few months to get a full set of armor. AND to upgrade it.

But I'm here SUPPORTING the game. So it can stay alive and not suddenly just disappear because the company thinks it isn't profitable anymore.
    The only things I've spent money on in the game is on those limited edition items/accessories, and I usually get a ton of Crystal Energy (CE) with it. >_>
    I mean, I had enough saved for 40k CE. If I converted all 40k to Crowns (around a 100 CE to 3,500 Crowns rate), I... Would be friggin' rich. lulz

Maybe unfair to non-paying players. But the Energy is used like everything else. The game doesn't have super weapons or armors only buyable with Energy. It just makes my armor/weapon upgrading a tad faster, so I don't spend months trying to get an armor set I want. >_>

Is there something wrong with that?
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Ajax

Ajax Mod & Artist | Need Help? Moderator Approved Artist

I don't see why not, your supporting something you like, just like a VPS you don't have to buy the cash shop items but it's nice to get things you don't have to get 100 mill site credits for. If you enjoy the game and feel the items you buy are worth it, then more power to you. Besides it's your money people should tell you what to do with it, unless you owe them lol.
  3. Gwonk

Gwonk New Member VPL Member

Calling you and idiot for spending money? Lmao. They should be thanking you for supporting the game.
    Lewis, cpvr, Corleone and 2 others like this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

There's nothin wrong with supporting your favorite game. Those telling you that are the idiots because they wouldn't care if the game shut down or not. Haters!
  5. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

People have a sense of entitlement where they feel they should always be able to have everything, NOW, with no work. :(
  6. Ajax

Ajax Mod & Artist | Need Help? Moderator Approved Artist

You said it!
  7. SpunkiSpirou

SpunkiSpirou Banned Pet Game Owner Banned

It's like that on Evony, free game but you can buy cents to get hero upgrades and whatnot else if you want to.

I had to stop playing that game, I don't know how much I spent on the account I don't dare go through the receipts and count it all up cause it'll be like it was on Subeta, but I was playing it about 20 hours a day.
  8. Myztacia

Myztacia Web Dev Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

I used to play that a whole lot too, Spunki! Loved it. I only spent about $30 total on it...then I introduced my bro to it, and it was while he was on bed rest. He spent hundreds (maybe even more) on it. I quit playing it cold turkey 'cause it was just such a bad addiction!
  9. EquineSoul

EquineSoul New Member VPL Member

I've played other sim games and have done both - supported/bought currency or items and I've also earned them. The way I see it, there is no wrong way or right way -- it's just up to the member's personal preferance. :)