1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Tea

Discussion in 'Health' started by Calib, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Calib

Calib New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    What's your favorite kind of tea? Do you drink tea?

For non-tea people, here's a short primer...

Tea is made from leaves, roots, and flowers steeped on hot water. The most common "tea" is made from the tea plant and will have varying amounts of caffeine and antioxidants depending on how the tea is processed, where it is grown, and how old it is amongst other things. It can even vary from year to year with plants grown in the same soil! Luckily, blending comes to the rescue to assure a fairly even flavor every time, regardless of what year it is.

Different brands naturally taste different due to blending and plant sources. For example, Bigelow's green tea is earthy with a thick heavy flavor. In contrast Prince of Peace's green tea is light and a little sweet. Both are the same kind of tea, but they don't taste alike.

Black Tea
    This tea has been dried and aged (sometimes fermented) until it turns a dark brown, almost black color. The darker it is, the more caffeine it tends to have.

Caffeine: moderate-high
    Made from: tea plant
    Great for: iced tea, coffee replacement
    Common brands: Lipton, Bigelow, Tetley
    A few example kinds: Early Grey, Oolong (Chinese black tea), Orange Pekoe, Chai (black tea + spices and steamed milk)

Green Tea
    This tea is steamed, then dried. If left alone for too long, it becomes black tea, so drink it up!It tends to be higher in antioxidants than black tea is. Sometimes other things are mixed in to give the tea a different flavor. White tea is green tea made from very young buds.

Caffeine: low-moderate
    Made from: tea plant
    Great for: health benefits (4+ cups a day are great for the heart), used in assorted cookies, cakes and frozen treats
    Common brands: Prince of Peace, Tazo, Yamamotoyama
    A few example kinds: Jasmine Green (Jasmine flowers added), Genmaicha (toasted rice added), Gunpowder (tea rolled into tiny balls before drying for longer-lasting fresh flavor).

Herbal (Tisane)
    These teas are made out of anything but the tea plant. This includes fruits, leaves, roots, and blossoms from plants all over the world! The properties can vary wildly, but generally there is little or no caffeine.

Caffeine: none-low
    Made from: Anything but the tea plant. Contains no tea plant at all.
    Great for: wide variety of flavors, very kid/elder friendly, sometimes medicinal.
    Common brands: Celestial Seasonings, Teavana
    A few example kinds: Rooibos ("red tea" made from an African bush), Chamomile (pale yellow tea from a daisy-like flower), peppermint tea (green colored tea made from a plant that lives near freshwater streams).

2. Aevix

Aevix Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Re: Tea!

Ooo I love tea! My favorite drink ^-^
    I'm personally pretty picky with my tea.. I tend not to like most oolong and herbal teas. And Earl grey has to be my utmost least favorite flavor tea, it's nasty to me :x Green tea is ok in most cases.. Chai tea has to be my favorite though. I always get the one brand of vanilla chai.. Haha I forget the name, havent gone to get any in a while. But vanilla chai + honey + milk = love <3
    And I really love going to Teavana! It always smells so nice there. Aah they always have this one sample.. White Samurai chai I think? *-* So delicious. There's also another sample they always have out, and they put an entire flower to steep in a glass pot and its really beautiful to see o.o Of course, it tastes pretty nice as well. I like to sweeten my tea with their rock sugar if I lack honey haha. Or just nom on rock sugar as it is >3>

3. city

city Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

I love tea, with a preference towards chai and green. I used to only drink tea when I was sick and hated it then, but now I drink it all the time. Since It's summer now, I brew it brew green and herbal teas for some nice, non-sugary iced tea. c:

4. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

I love tea! Orange pekoe and Irish breakfast tea are my 2 black tea faves. I do have a thing for jasmine green tea as well. That's the Asian side of me coming out. :p

5. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:

Green tea is my favorite, but I'll also drink some black tea. ^.^

6. Calib

Reputations:

Green tea is awesome. I've been trying to get myself to drink 4+ cups of it a day in order to increase my health. Some days I can pull it off, some days I can't.... usually because sometimes I forget to brew more tea. I have many brands of it around the house so I can always have a variety.

My favorite in bags is Price of Peace. My favorite loose green tea is Temple of Heaven.

7. cpvr

Reputations:

I ran out of my green tea bags. I need to buy some more. I got 100 packs for $5 a week or two ago. I put 4 packs per cup, so it evens out for me. I like drinking it hot, warm or cold depending on how I'm feeling.

How long have you been a fan of tea?

8. Calib

Reputations:

That's not a bad price. Prince of Peace usually runs $3-5 for 100 at Big Lots. Anywhere else it tends to be 5-10 for 100 instead.

I've been drinking tea my whole life. Before I was one year old I remember waddling up to dad and asking "Whats that?" Dad looked at me and said "You won't like it." I kept demanding "What's that! What's that! Want? Want!" until dad let me have some.

It was jasmine green tea.

Dad started sharing tea with me when mom wasn't looking. My favorites were Mandarin Orange Spice (Celestial Seasonings) and, of course, the Jasmine Green with the tag I couldn't read. It ended up being Prince of Peace.

I still love both teas.

How/when did you start with tea?

9. cpvr

Reputations:

Thanks for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it. Well, I started off drinking the Liptop bottled green tea back in 2006, then I learned it wasn't so healthy[this year] Thanks to @Vermillion so now I drink the green tea packets - and I've been seeing a lot more energy, and it tastes a lot better than the Lipton Bottles.

Just went out and purchased more tea. This time it was $3.50 for 100 packs!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  10. Cakes1991

Cakes1991 Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

I usually prefer green tea...but herbal tea is my choice when I'm sick! :)

11. cpvr

Reputations:

How does herbal tea help when you're sick? Can anyone tell me?

12. Mantis

Mantis New Member VPL Member

Reputations:

I've never liked tea. Even the smell of it I find kind of nasty. But the taste is just, well... I can't really see how anyone could enjoy it. That's just my personal opinion. I was willing to try other kinds of tea and I got green tea. When I tasted it though, by Jove, I hadn't tasted anything that disgusting in a long time. :cursing: At least I bothered to try it, but I'd rather drink a gallon of water than a mouthful of that.

13. Evolution

Evolution Administrator Administrator

Reputations:

I haven't ever tried green tea but @cpvr always has it when I talk to him so I might give it ago soon. I normally just stick to black tea.

14. cpvr

Reputations:

It's my favorite bro. I might go make me another cup of it! =D

15. Evolution

Evolution Administrator Administrator

Reputations:

I think my sister might have some I might "borrow". :p

16. cpvr

Reputations:

Let me know what you think about it! Next time I have some money, I'm buying some black tea as well so I can have a variety here.

17. Calib

Reputations:

Condensing two replies, so bear with me a little.

Yeah, bottled tea isn't good. It's not as healthy and it doesn't taste as great as fresh tea. I guess I've just gotten spoiled to having nice, fresh tea made just the way I like it every single time. Curse you dad for instilling good taste in me! ;) lol. By the way, what brand did you pick up?

Actually, herbal tea can help when you're sick depending on what's in it. Ginger is good for nausea. Hibiscus and rosehips have vitamin C. Catnip and Chamomile are soothing and can help you sleep. Peppermint is a good digestive aide. Pick your ingredients carefully (or blend it yourself) and herbal teas can do tons of good things!

cpvr likes this.
  18. Micky

Micky Always online, ping me! [Mythflow] Moderator Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

Reputations:

I don't drink tea (or coffee) even though I'm Asian and apparently all Asians drink tea.... And it get pretty awkward when people offer a drink to me.

Them: Do you want coffee?
    Me: I don't drink coffee, sorry. water will do.
    Them: Here, I'll get you tea instead.
    Me: I... don't drink tea either. O_O
    Them: BUT I THOUGHT ALL ASIANS DRINK TEA.
    Me: Not this Asian!

^ I had that said to me a lot of times by different people. =_=

I prefer water, juice, or pop. :)

19. cpvr

Reputations:

Thank you so much for this post! I'll be looking into buying the herbal tea as well. Can't never have enough tea supplies!

20. Calib

Reputations:

Always glad to help. :)

I would say "true", but it actually pays to not buy more than you're going to use in a year or so. Green tea turns into black tea, black tea can go stale (especially the cheap brands) and herbal teas can loose potency or even go bad. Flowers seem to be the most temperamental, followed by fruits, leaves, then roots.

I once got ahold of a hibiscus peach herbal tea that was at least four years old. It smelled ok, but the taste was terrible! The only part that had much flavor left were the roots and leaves used in the mix. The taste could best be described as "funky dead flower petals". I ended up tossing the remaining tea bags into a bath so they wouldn't be a total waste.

cpvr likes this.