Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

The funding of your pet site: fundraise or borrow money

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Bedouin, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Bedouin

Bedouin Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'll be honest and say that I don't really know of many fundraising techniques to raise money for starting a game. In the past, I've always just saved up my own money to pour into my games and while it's worked, I'd like to be more efficient with the next game I want to start. Do you guys know of any ways to raise money to start a petsite? I've heard of kickstarter.com, but I wasn't sure if that would be the best route to explore. Any advice?
    Gabby likes this.
  2. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    Re: Did you fundraise before starting a petsite?

Thanks for the thread, Bed :)

I've heard of kickstarter.com and indiegogo.com. There are so many out there.
    I've never personally had to fundraise anything, so I share your question :c
    What project are you working on getting fundraised? Is that Project Z?
  3. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:

It would be a good idea to use Kickstarter and pitch your project to investors. I also think it's a good idea to have some funds available so that you can fund your project just incase doesn't. If you have a good credit score, you could try to get some credit cards to help you as well. I know Ian from Marapets used CCs in the earlier days of Mara.
  4. Lauren

Lauren Mrs. Bouncer VPL Member

Reputations:

Or you could get a job.
    Micky likes this.
  5. Ardy

Ardy Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

I took out a big loan for my site, it's hard enough to get people to spend money on a petsite for cash items, let alone fundraise for a type of project that has a huge reputation for never opening.
  6. bauss

bauss Junior Programmer Junior Programmer VPL Member

Reputations:

Back when I started a pet site a few years ago, I never did any fundraising because I wasn't aware of sites like kickstarter. Another good fundraiser site is http://indiegogo.com, and you don't have to be from the US to use this one.
  7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    The funding of your game

One thing that I've noticed with the pet site development community is that some owners take extra jobs - such as freelancing, real life work, and other means to generate money to help fund their game. So, what has helped you with the funding of your game? Have you taken out bank loans? Borrowed money from friends/family? Opened up a fundraiser such as on Kickstarter or other sites? Sold old scripts to drive in some extra money? Have you artists draw things for other people to fund the site?

There are various ways to fund an upcoming project, but why don't you tell us what has helped you with the funding of your game?
    que likes this.