1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

The Horrors of High Fructose Corn Syrup

Discussion in 'Health' started by Avalanche, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Avalanche

Avalanche Supporter VPL Supporter

Reputations:
    So through my health explorations to find a remedy to my current health issues I've come across many interesting things, but none have ever made me so angry and go 'ah ha'. My mother has restricted herself significantly from the sugar and as a result has lost quite a bit of weight by just avoiding one kind of sugar.

Okay so first things first. This site, SweetSurprise has nothing but good things to say about High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS). But if we look more closely at the website, we notice this little logo in the bottom right corner. Barely legible I might add.

[​IMG]

The site is run by the people who produce HFCS, The Corn Refiner's Association. So it's like a giant commercial. Awesome. If you keep looking for information about HFCS, you'll find some interesting stuff.

Study Finds HFCS Contains Mercury
    A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain
    ABC New reports on a UCLA study saying HFCS hurts memory, learning ability
    MSN Reports on HFCS Dangers

For those who don't want to read all those links, I quoted some of the most shocking and important stuff here...

To top everything off, there's a series of videos that makes everything really understand on youtube.

This is episode one, and there are at least 3 additional videos that explain the diseases caused by HFCS and some evidence and studies that link the issues.

[video=youtube;h0zD1gj0pXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1gj0pXk[/video]

Now the following is my own story, symptoms and such. If you're not interested I won't take offense, but I thought I would go ahead and add my own background here...

My Story:
    When I was very young I was normal. As I got older I started looking chubbier. I was strong and active, but I was still very chubby and the older I got the more weight I gained. Despite playing Soccer, Kickball, and being on the Swim team by the time I was in 9th grade I'd reached 200 pounds at 5'2". In 9th grade I lettered in Field Hockey, then made it onto the Varsity Men's Wrestling Team(I am female for those of you who don't know XD). Despite all of this and being on a special diet to lose weight for the Wrestling Team I gained 15 pounds in 6 months. It was at this point I realized there was something very wrong. Due to a hip dislocation I could no longer run and because of that I also couldn't wrestle or participate in sports anymore. When I turned 16, I hit 270lbs and was diagnosed with PCOS, a condition my mother was also diagnosed with after the loss of her first pregnancy. I was put on 2 medications for life and was told to not get my hopes up about pregnancy. I also decided to try some extreme diets to lose the weight. I ate no more than 500 calories a day for over two weeks and didn't lose a single pound. Instead I got very, very sick. I was passing out frequently, sleeping for 16 hours a day, I was weak and defeated because I was still the same weight. Frustrated I gave up and ate normally again: which in comparison to my sister and friends was pretty healthy. I counted calories consistently and was almost always under 2000. I was still gaining weight. My mother was the one who originally discovered the studies about HFCS and after a couple weeks of doing nothing but avoiding anything with HFCS lost over 10 pounds. She didn't increase her excercise, and she still eats sweets, just sweets with normal sugar. I am now starting to avoid HFCS as well. First easy elimination is Soda, but I'm avoiding just about everything I can and I am hopeful that this may help if not solve my problems with weight gain and the health issues that come with it. I will try to remember to blog about any progress. Thank you for reading, and I will try to keep everyone posted.

Discuss. Opinions? Ideas? Comments?

Tagging people who might be interested... :D @Gabby @cpvr

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    cpvr, Gabby and Tyme like this.
  2. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    Re: The Horros of High Fructose Corn Syrup

Thank you @Avalanche <3 This is a very helpful read

I was actually mostly aware of High Fructose Corn Syrup. It was in Snapple before 2010 - since they changed their logo, ingredients, sugar content, etc

3. Mutationification

Mutationification Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

I totally know where you're coming from. I've been corn /anything/ free for five years now.

I was the tiniest little girl. But between fifth and sixth grade, as I hit puberty my weight skyrocketed.
    That whole saying 'it runs in your genetics' is wrong.
    I sat there my whole childhood watching my brother and sister be thin and tall, while I was short and fat.
    In 8th, I hit my heaviest. I have gotten to 220 before a serious bought of depression caused me to drastically lose weight. I thought starving myself was helping. It wasn't until much later I realized it was the lack of corn that was what caused me to lose weight.
    In 9th grade, I gave up trying to be skinny and went back to normal.
    I gained most of the weight back. I was in a size 18 pants, and the problem was so bad that I had to undergo breast reduction to keep my weight from bending my spine. The weight caused a massive pressure on my pilonidol cysts, which would have normally laid dormant, but ended up causing me so much problems I had to undergo surgery for those too.
    When I reached 12th grade, I honestly thought I would die before I was 25 years old. I was sick every single day. Suffering from so many common illnesses that there wasn't a day that I felt healthy. I had migraines and headaches, and I popped pain killers like candy to get rid of the pain.
    Right out of high school, I had to undergo both surgeries within weeks of each other. First the cysts at the end of my spine, and then my breast reduction.
    It caused my mind to flip at the reality of what was happening, and I completely gave up on life all together.
    There was nothing I could do to help myself, and I was tired of everyone having to deal with the burden of my lack of health.

It wasn't until then that I found out that my brother had spent the last several years trying to find out what exactly was wrong with me.
    He referred me to a diet based on my blood type and several other measurements that put me into a food 'class' and explained to me what certain foods do to my body.
    Five years later, here I am. I'm down to a size 4 pants. I fit in little boy's shirts, and I actually have a little girl's swim suit. My knees don't hurt anymore when I stand or walk for a short time. My back doesn't hurt from standing or sitting too long. I get migraines maybe once every six months, and I literally haven't even had a cough in over a year. The last time I got sick was because the food I had consumed was contaminated and was in a recall after I'd already eaten it.
    I feel fantastic; and during the last five years I've learned the horrors of certain foods.
    HFCS being one of them.

My boyfriend partially follows my diet since we live together; I don't force him to eat what I do.
    But he's discovered that after going a couple of months without a soda, if he decides to drink a Coke, he ends up getting sick right away. Serious cramps, stomach sickness, and almost always a urinary infection.

That stuff is horrible. It causes so many problems I can't even fathom how it's legal to put that in our food.

cpvr and Gabby like this.
  4. Avalanche

Reputations:

@Mutationification Your story has given me so much drive and inspiration to continue along this path. If you don't mind me asking, what is your blood type? It's odd because I am short and heavy as well while my younger sister is about 6 inches taller than me and she looks pretty normal. She's large breasted and has meat on her bones but she looks pretty average. I wonder if there might be some sort of sensitivity to the corn products that causes more severe issues with certain people versus others because I know my sister does not eat healthy. She works at McDonalds and is eating there everyday yet seems to handle it fine. I would really appreciate it if you PMed me some info on the food 'class' and such that you were talking about. <3 Thanks for sharing!

5. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:

So happy to see people offering their experiences. <3 @Mutationifcation, your story is truly an inspiration. You should make a blog here about it <3 I'm sure plenty of people would love to read it - it'd get so much more visibility

6. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:

@Avalanche Thanks for this wonderful post. I don't drink soda as often as I used to, I drink powerade zero, water and crystal light. Sometimes I have a glass of milk as well. I've also switched from eating Ramen noodles to progressive soups. And also tuna sandwiches.

@Mutationification Thanks for making a great post, its very inspiring. Great job on giving it up as well! It's so hard to give up things that you used to enjoy. But something like this is very bad.

7. Mutationification

Reputations:

@cpvr
    Actually, I think going on a diet was one of the easiest things I've ever done in my life.
    Part of this is because I was literally ready to do anything to be different.
    But another part of this is because I am incredibly stubborn and I love to tell people no. Lmao.

8. cpvr

Reputations:

I'm on a diet as well. I don't eat nomore than 1500 calories a day. I weighed 350 pounds at the beginning of May, I'm now at 306.8 It's not as fast as I'd like it to be, but I'm very happy with the results. Here's my thread incase you missed goal of losing 100 pounds progress thread.

Giving up certain foods/drinks is hard, I agree.

I also won't touch any drinks that have a lot of sugar in it - prior to my diet, I wouldn't care. The only things I really drink with calories in it is those Starbucks bottles you can buy at the stores. I sometimes need an extra rush of energy because I workout in "Cardio burning mood", which is really hard to do, but I'm slowly progressing.

9. Mutationification

Reputations:

@cpvr
    Now that I think would be hard for me. I don't pay attention to calories.
    I really like food, and limiting the amount of food I eat wasn't something I have ever been able to do.
    Honestly, I will eat like 6 mini meals a day, and then a big dinner.
    I need to snack on things. I've always been that way.
    I also have a very slow pulse count. This makes cardio painful, and always has been. I have to do gentle things like long walks and yoga; heart disease runs in my dads side of the family pretty hardcore and... I don't want to jump start that you know?
    ALSO I am incredibly lazy. Lol. Ever since I realized I could sit and draw all day, that's really what I've been doing xD

So you're definitely a lot stronger than I am with your diet. I kind of just roll with the flow as one could say.

10. cpvr

Reputations:

I eat a few snacks, but mainly, I included three meals a day. My breakfast is a yogurt or a piece of fruit, lunch is a Tuna sandwich, and dinner = whatever. I count my calories so that I know how much I need to burn, and how much I need to maintain.

How long has your pulse been like that though? And thanks, I just don't want to get sick when I'm already because of weight issues.

11. Avalanche

Reputations:

@cpvr
    Just a suggestion but maybe switch your meals around so you eat more in the morning and less later in the day. I've been told that makes it a lot easier to lose weight because you eat your biggest meal first which gives you ALL DAY to burn it off. Then just eat little bits as you get hungry throughout the day.

12. cpvr

Reputations:

Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. I'm going to see about changing it. Perhaps the tuna sandwich(with pickles) in the morning and yogurt for lunch.

13. Avalanche

Reputations:

@cpvr Let me know if you notice a difference by doing that. I'm putting together a cookbook of healthy yet SUPER delicious food that will also fit the restrictions I have. XD I need to get more interested in cooking if I'm going to survive a diet.

14. cpvr

Reputations:

I want to see the cookbook when its released! And will do! :)

15. Avalanche

Reputations:

XD I can do that! I was also thinking about doing some videos showing how to cook some of my favorite, healthy meals. I don't know about that yet though XD

16. cpvr

Reputations:

Videos would be amazing. I think you should go for it, and it'll also help you inspire others - which is the best thing to do!

17. cpvr

Reputations:
    Gabby likes this.
  18. Avalanche

Reputations:
    @cpvr

Somehow this just doesn't surprise me. I've also watched two documentaries recently, one about a doctor who found the cure to cancer. CANCER. He was treating children with brain tumors who had a prognosis of about three months and the children were being cured, complete cancer free at a rate of 30-50%. Compared with other treatments such as radiation, which has a 0.9% success rate(the one child who survived died 5 years later due to the radiation poisoning) it's just incredible. What does the government due? The FDA attacks him with lawsuit after lawsuit. 14 years later they dropped the charges only for the doctor to find out that the GOVERNMENT copied and stole his patents. And what have they done with these patents on these new therapies of curing cancer? Nothing. They've done absolutely nothing. And they've put restrictions on the doctor saying that ANYONE who wants to use his treatment, must go through radiation FIRST. It's bull crap and it makes me angry. That's when my best friend reminded me of something. "There's no money in a cure, only a treatment."

The second was on Lyme disease. They've got research showing Lyme disease may be the cause of Alzhiemers, MS and a lot of other issues. Which makes sense because the Lyme bacteria is very similar to the Sypholis bacteria which causes Dimentia: something pretty similar to Alzhiemers. Lyme disease can be cured with long treatments of antibiotics. And while there isn't any evidence it's just slightly interesting that just off the coast from the town of Lyme, where Lyme disease first appeared, is an island that is a top secret bacterial research facility. Just food for thought. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but when the evidence is so blatant it makes me angry.

19. santamynana

santamynana CEO of MoonFire Gaming LTD VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    This is just one of the reasons it's banned over here, the confectionary industry such as M&M's and other sweets have to change their ingredients when producing for our country. Same with soft drinks. I think it's banned for the better. Collectively it would help America loose a lot of weight. Another thing you use a lot is transfat right.

20. MichaelCrystal

MichaelCrystal Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I heard that stuff is really unhealthy for you.