1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL's sister site the virtual pets blog

Urgent: Possible Art Theft

Discussion in 'Art/Writing General' started by Sirkowskii, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I am posting this here to get opinions on this matter for my girlfriend @RatherBeRaving. She needs help with solving this issue and she's looking for other peoples thoughts about this and to see if you can determine if this is art theft through tracing.

Original Version by my Gf

First Time Used by my Gf

Girl's Version

Comparison

Girl's actual art(her OC and my Gf's OC)
    ---------

We all know dA is shit when it comes to issues like this but my gf wants to be 100% sure and needs opinions on this before she go confronts the girl.

To me the girls version looks like a dead ringer, especially in the facial region. Pretty much as soon as I was showed it I was like 'Yup. Looks like something my girlfriend would do...wait...you didn't draw it...WHAT!?'.

So...my girl is in quite a pickle right now =x.

EDIT: Also found out this isn't the first time she has done this. She has also ripped off a few other characters from other people.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    Gabby likes this.
  2. Corzeir

Corzeir No longer here VPL Supporter Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but I don't see it at first gance. Even after sending it into photoshop and comparing the two my self they are way to different to be art theft I think it's just a case of them being some what like each other.

3. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Sirkowskii

Certainly art theft. That is my professional opinion and how I would handle it as such. You should report it to dA nonetheless. I know you doubt they'll do anything, but it's just better all around if you do.

I can nearly guarantee this girl will try to play it off saying "no, there are slight differences, look at teh facezz!!!"

If I were @RatherBeRaving, I would confront, report, block this girl from contacting, and warn as many people affiliated with her as you can. Save all screenshots and evidence and provide them on all claims.

Edit: Reasons as to why I believe it's art theft: it appears she used your girlfriend's point adoptables as some sort of ref. If that wasn't their intended use, it is art theft. She could have also traced and then edited minor detail. But the canvas size and the fact she knows your girlfriend is fishy to me *shrug*

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. RatherBeRaving

RatherBeRaving New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the insight Gabby. I'll get on that real quick.

5. Corzeir

Reputations:
    Last I checked referencing was not art theft, Heavy referencing yes but I think people are jumping to conclusion here. I rotated, resized and drop it to 45% opacity and it did not line up.

If any thing it could be stolen from someone else but I don't think it's stolen from rave.

6. Vella

Vella Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @RatherBeRaving @Sirkowskii DeviantArt won't do anything about it since it is a great more different than the original.

Honestly, I'd just not her and politely ask if she took inspiration from you, and if she did to give you credit for the inspiration, because it doesn't seem to be technically art stealing.

It's worse done, not a trance over, and a generic enough pose there's always the possibility she just liked your style and copied from it by looking at it or even just a picture. At least she's not selling them or stealing your design, it just looks like she's taking the pose which a lot of starter artists do. Yes it can be considered wrong, but I'd just explain to her to give you credit rather than go on a rampage about how she is stealing. :)

And in the one with the two OCs, she did give you credit and linked back, so really if you're concerned I'd just ask since she doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it or know what she's doing is upsetting you, and there's no ill will either.

/edit Also, I would NOT post a journal warning other people, at least until AFTER you've talked it out with the girl in question. If she proves unwilling to cooperate and gets rude and uppity, THEN post a journal or something. But that's just my opinion because this isn't bad enough to warrant a warning before a conversation, all things considered.

/edit x 2 On closer inspection, the two are only really similar at all in the facial region, and even then only slightly. If you look at the bodies and the lines, they are totally different. Exhibit A: You girl friend's front legs VS the girls's front legs. The girl included the joint, your GF did not. Also hoof size, the necks are different, the bodies are different, ect.

bird, Drea, kami and 1 other person like this.
  7. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    i dont see the comparison so much?? maybe they reffed it but as far as the comparisons go it seems youre sort of grabbing at straws lmao
    theres only so many ways you can draw a horse standing at profile view....

8. Gabby

Reputations:
    *nods* Unfortunately, art theft is a vague thing, so there's not much you can do, but it doesn't mean there isn't anything you can do. So nonetheless, I'd exercise all rights as a copyright holder.

Bottom line is.. thieves are sloppy. That's how they get caught. There is a lot of sloppiness to that which doesn't appear in the girl's large art she made.

As a side note.. Welcome to VPL :) I don't believe we've met ^_^

9. Sirkowskii

Sirkowskii Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Corsair - There isn't even any sort of mention of referencing to @RatherBeRaving 's image at all on the dA page =/. It's very fishy and this isn't the first time this girl has stolen something from another person.

10. Gabby

Reputations:
    Reffing a piece of art without the copyright holder's written permission is still technically against the law. I know it's crazy but if it's reported and the original author feels they've been infringed upon, it's theft.

11. Lion

Lion NICKI MINAJ! Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    If thats a serious comment, I can't believe you posted that. they look NOTHING alike.
    I would just like to point out ALL horses have the same skeletal structure, therfore they're going to look the same shape. but they've used completely different colours, style, positioning and everything. I don't see how this event appears to be stolen. @cpvr @Corsair @Vermillion

Drea, uglytrolls and cpvr like this.
  12. Alkali Regnant

Alkali Regnant FeatheredCritter VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner Web Designer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    I have to agree that doesn't look like theft :/ While it is similar, look up standard side view horse poses. They'll all look similar. She may have referenced that image more, but it doesn't look like straight theft too me. The lines vary to much.

Drea and Vella like this.
  13. Corzeir

Reputations:
    While I understand it's best not to jump straight to the evil option without proof. She could be just learning for all we know and we don't know for sure she even referenced her art she could have referenced any number of things Not to be rude to rave but the post is not really that unique.

14. Gabby

Reputations:
    That is also my professional stance on something like this.

@uglytrolls This is my response to your comment below.

Vella likes this.
  15. uglytrolls

uglytrolls Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    what? i dont see your point sorry.
    like i said theres not many ways you can draw a horse at that view. and like @Lion said, all horses have the same bone structure.
    even if the artist did reference her horses, whats to say they referenced the girlfriend in questions horses? it could be any horse considering they all look very similar from side view.
    it just seems like a coincidence imo. nothing more.

Drea, Vella and Corzeir like this.
  16. RatherBeRaving

RatherBeRaving New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Also I wanted to make it known this isn't the first time this has happened as my girlfriend has edited her original post. She has blatantly copied a character of one of my other best friends, and attempted to sell it as an adoptable. She has been witnessed in the middle of a "Join Me" session where she proceeded to screen cap a character of a well known artist within the dA equine community and used the color picker to get all his colors and made a batch of adoptables for her friend all of which resembled this well known character named "Gunnar" . On top of that one of my fellow friends on deviantART has a character named "Ishvan" Whom has sort of rainbow speckle markings all over. She's been whipping out character after character with those same speckles all over. There are about six now of them. Now I know she can't "Own" speckle markings. But as soon as she started roleplaying with her my friend the speckle ponies all started coming out from this girl and it's gotten out of hand.

She's also a crazy girl regarding roleplay as well. We all believe she's almost legitimately in love with that "Ishvan" character. She's been trying to break out group of friends up by becoming crazy obsessive over our characters. She tries to kill off our characters without asking our permission and all that. Now I know the roleplay doesn't really deal with that much here. But the girl is crazy and I just thought it was worth adding to show how crazy she is.

Just adding further detail to this. I'll be reporting her though I doubt it will do much. Me and my friends will all be breaking contact with her as well as blocking her.

Vella and Gabby like this.
  17. Lion

Lion NICKI MINAJ! Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Sorry, but unless you are the artist drawing the work, in this case the horse you may not have used another persons art as a reference.
    You can go around saying people need to post a reference, unless you, as a person are 100% CERTAIN a reference is used.

Its like me saying that RatherBeRaving must use this as a reference, http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/345/1/8/quarter_horse_by_aomori-d34o334.jpg, simply because she drew a horse.

Drea and uglytrolls like this.
  18. Corzeir

Reputations:
    I'm not defending her but I think we should not run to the "start a angry mob" or "THIEF!!!!1" option yet without clear cut proof.
    @Lion I agree, I think we need 100% proof before condemning.

Vella likes this.
  19. kami

kami Moderator Moderator VPL Member

Reputations:
    I honestly don't see this as being any theft whatsoever. In regards to copying characters, why not just report those? If you think she is stealing anything, I would talk to her about it first, not plaster it all over the internet.

I don't really see the necessity to tell us how she RPs though, that has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Corleone, Hituro, Drea and 6 others like this.
  20. Vella

Vella Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    In that case I would report the character(s) in question and inform the original creator(s).

Though, upon browsing through her gallery, images I thought were traces were indeed not and it seems the girl has no problem giving credit where credit is due for lines and characters that are not hers.