Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Username vs. ID#

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Zrr, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Zrr

Zrr New Member VPL Member

I simply cannot decide on this, and since I'm in the very early stages of coding this thing, I really need to. I don't want to have to go back and change everything (again because I've already done it once).

Do you prefer sites that address members by their username, or have a separate login/username and address members by a #?

For example; Neopets does the username thing, whereas Aywas does the # thing.

I can see the pros of both. I know that a user ID is required for coding purposes, but I'm not sure I want to use them for things like a link to the profile or something instead of the username.

What are your preferences, and why?
  2. Aevix

Aevix Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I personally think ID's are better. You can be proud of getting fun numbers, and they're always consistent.. And it makes it easier (or so it seems) to change the username. I find using them just fine for linking n' whatnot.. At least you can rely that the ID number of a person hasn't changed. Usernames, if the option is available, will change, so using just a username can have iffyspots if people are changing it.
  3. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Stinky mo-minky Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

I think usernames are better.
    People get too "clawy" over numbers.
    I was upset at my KS number because I had problem IRL and didn't get to sign in before most of the people even though I was a beta tester.
    None the less, my number is low, but when accounts are numbers, the lower the number, the more privileged people feel.
    Also, people make extra accounts just to sell later on for low numbers.
    Lewis and Citadel like this.
  4. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

As from a programming standpoint, id #'s are better. It's easier to keep track of your members and it helps keep things unique. Its easier to pass numbers than letters for many various reasons.
  5. vplspride

vplspride Member VPL Member

6. SpottyWolf

You can do both to help keep things secure, as it will just cross reference. I take it from a security standpoint: you can SQL inject characters (letters) but you can't SQL inject numbers. So your more secure.
  7. vplspride

vplspride Member VPL Member

8. SpottyWolf

9. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I always like usernames. I don't really care about the ID part unless it's a sim game or something. I don't see a point in selling low ID accounts either. What happened to the good old days when sites only used usernames?:confused:
    Lewis likes this.
  10. Grotesque

Grotesque Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

For indexing in the DB, integers are faster than strings
  11. judda

judda Bringer of Awesome Moderator Programming Moderator

But for what the actual user can see, I personally think that the ID should be hidden away. It is literally only for internal storage.

~judda
    Micky, kami and cpvr like this.
  12. Lewis

Lewis Moderator Moderator Programming Moderator Senior Programmer Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter

I prefer usernames. I don't understand why people feel like they are better than everyone else for having a lower id.

All user input should be cleaned and validated anyway.
    judda likes this.
  13. Hituro

Hituro Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

I display names, link with IDs. It's better because people do change names (though we also have nicknames, so logins change less often) and that doesn't break ID based links
  14. Luke

Luke Approved Game Owner Pet Game Owner VPL Member

I like ID numbers! :) I always try and get the lowest one.