1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL is looking to hire 2-3 new moderators to help our flourishing community. If you're interested, then please see this thread VPL seeking moderators

Verpets Review by Trystan

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Trystan, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Trystan

Trystan Approved Artist Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Well, I've been informed that VPL could use a few more good reviews on pet sites. I figured I might as well give it a go! I'll be reviewing http://www.verpets.com/ which happens to currently be one of my favourite petsites. That is not to say that it doesn't have it's flaws, it has plenty.
    This review will focus on a number of things, but it mainly focuses on problems I see in Staff, and Community. There will also be sections on Art, Economy, Navigation, and Updates.

--About Us page
    http://www.verpets.com/aboutus.php

Now without further ado, let's get on to my review.

Staff

A long time ago, when I first joined Verpets, I was happy to see active staff who did their job well. Rules such as “no caps in the shoutbox” were enforced quickly. That's not a bad thing, no respectable site can post rules and not enforce them. Not to mention the amount of spam you get in the shoutbox once people think they can CAPSLOCK OMG N CHTSPK. It would have been irritating to most the people who actually spent their time in there.
    Things have changed since then. Rules are enforced sporadically, and only when the staff is on. Staff members are on very rarely, save for the artist or two. The shoutbox is frequently spammed by meaningless goop, or a multitude of posts from the same user who posts the same thing. There are people talking about bra's, sex, drugs, alcohol... and none of this gets properly punished.
    I have noticed things such as:
    -User A gets banned for having two accounts
    -User B does not even get scolded for talking about how her money was in a stripper's panties
    -User D does not get scolded for cussing at and talking down upon the owners and mods

Now does any of that honestly make sense? Yes, having multiple accounts is against the rules... But out of those three offenses, it's the least worrisome.
    Now, some of the staff have honest reasons for not being on. Others seem to be on staff specifically because they want the status boost. They don't actually do their jobs.

Community

There was a time when there was a large community of regulars. It was hard to get integrated into their group without either being fabulous at art, or previously knowing one of them. That very group of regulars, many of which I either looked up to or tried to become friends with, has been slowly dying out over the years. Their intelligent, oft hilarious, and many times dramatic conversation has dwindled down to the ramblings of the very young. There is much spam, a lot of users taking advantage, and many (very many) users who act up just to see how long they'll be able to get away with it.
    Some of the most popular people are intensely disrespectful towards others. I saw one popular user tell a new one not to talk to her, because the new user was “obnoxious and ignorant” as well as “stupid”.
    I see so many new users quit because of the way they are treated.

Art
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously their art is well-off. I myself tend to be picky about the art styles I like to see in my pet sites. I cannot stand certain styles, and I adore others. Verpets is one of those sites where I really enjoy most of the pets.
    Verpets has a number of artists, and all of them seem to know exactly what they are doing. Many of them are fun to talk to, and get along well with the rest of Ver.
    Another thing about Verpets is that you can customize your own pet (for a small fee of five to fifteen USD) and have an appearance totally your own! Some examples of custom pets are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pets get revamps sometimes. What's that? You liked the old version better? Have no fear -- you can use that image instead! That's right, for absolutely no cost you can decide to use the old pet art instead of the current one. 8D

Economy

There are two seperate currencies on verpets. VerPoints (VP, regular currency) and VerCredits (VC, cash shop currency). There was a time that 1,000 VC would have equaled out to 1 million VP. Times have changed, and often you see the same amount of VC going for double or more than the regular VP price. This seems to have been caused by the introduction of the Sanctuary, and it's keys.
    You see, for 1k VC you can now buy a Sanctuary Key. When a user gets banned, their pets will eventually go into what is known as the 'Sanctuary'. You may then use a Sanctuary Key to buy one of their old pets. They will come with any special colour or stats that they once had, along with their name, and (so far) their profile. (There are users suggesting that profiles be erased from Sanctuary finds.)
    Due to this set of circumstances, the economy is taking a spin. Pet names used to sell for an average of 300,000 VP. It is now difficult to get 1/3[SUP]rd [/SUP]of that price. Art is no longer being bought as fast, save for the most popular few. It makes it even more difficult for many users to make any VP.
    Games don't make money well at all, save for Solitaire which makes you 15k upon winning.
    Quests are difficult unless a user is selling the item for less than 5k (or less than the shopkeeper is offering) , or you have the money to buy the item in the beginning. (Tip: Never buy an item for more than 5k if you're going to put it into a Zerilia's quest. You won't make the money back.)
    Overall, the economy is pretty bad lately.

Navigation

Navigating Verpets is actually easy for the most part. Everything is labeled, neatly, in the side, or is easy to find through those links.

Updates

Unfortunately, with the inactive staff, updates have been few and far between. As of right now, the last update that wasn't an automatic...Was May 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012. That was simply to release some sushi items. There have been multiple hints at new updates for Fortresses, forums, etc... For years, and most of it hasn't happened. Much of this is due to the staff's general inactivity, but it's another down-side to the site.

Redeeming Features

• Verpets allows the art community to thrive. Commissions are fully available from all sorts of people, and you can buy them for site currency or, rarely, for RL money!
    • There is forum roleplaying. The better feature? You can roleplay with just your pets, via a comment module on the pet's profile!
    • The art is very nice, often well-done.
    • The site allows you to customize the art for your pet. You can actually buy, for real money, a totally unique appearance for your pet. You have to do the art, of course, or hire someone else to do it... but it's a really fun part of the site.
    • They allow you to buy VerCredits from other users, using VerPoints, art, pets, etc.
    • Profiles are customisable for ALL users, not just the Premium users!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    cpvr, jakdacrowe and Earth like this.
  2. Wrath

Wrath Retired Moderator Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Trystan
    Very nice review. Seems to be well-rounded.
    However, there are quite a few sentence structure errors that made reading your review confusing. Many instances, your words came up "likethis" and I found myself getting lost a lot.

As for the art, I think it would be a good thing to point out their varied styles, and the opportunity to change the way your pet looks based on prior changes to the pet-or the ability to use custom overlays.

3. Trystan

Reputations:
    @Wrath, unfortunately, I think that came about because I copy/pasted from a word document. VPL's forums don't seem to like it when I do that. I'll run through it soon for errors, currently I need to care for my mother who was just in ER.
    About the art, I will add those features in as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. jakdacrowe

jakdacrowe crow, bird, thing Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    @Trystan
    Besides the pet art, maybe grab a few custom pets for show?
    But yeah. It's kinda sad that Ver's gone downhill lately. :/

5. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Could you tell us how many features Verpets has that's unique?

You can add the images with the image code with the bb code
    and close it with

Remove all the spaces though.

6. Trystan

Reputations:
    @Wrath @jakdacrowe @cpvr Well, edited it. I hope this is a little more satisfactory. It seems that every time I copy/paste something on this site, it squishes some of the words together.

@jakdacrowe Yeah, it is a little disappointing. I migrated there after Teripets went down and now it's kind of dying out.

7. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Doesn't really help when one (or some) of their items are actually a pair of underwear XD

8. jakdacrowe

Reputations:
    @Trystan - Hopefully Joe gets back regularly and stuff... It's like a rarity to see him on the site now.

@cpvr - There's some... Let me see if I can list them off the top of my head.
    - We can use 'historic' pet images. (I prefer this version than the new version)
    - We can submit custom pet images to be used on the site.
    - We can request for custom items. Drawn by a random staff artist.
    - Custom username color. Custom pet layout color... Uh. User icons.

lulz Ver people. If you know anymore, post up? I definitely don't remember much.

9. Trystan

Reputations:
    I'm so not going to deny that. It doesn't help - but even with the items, people used to get scolded for such talk. Now people are getting away with discussing them in a very sexual way. Wish I could say it wasn't true.
    Though I'm pretty sure most of the 'bra' items are actually bikini tops. Which can also be used in a terrible way, I guess.

@jakdacrowe Are you still working for Ver?

10. jakdacrowe

Reputations:
    @Trystan - I still actually am. No, there's not much going behind the scenes either. :/

11. Trystan

Reputations:
    @jakdacrowe I actually wasn't going to ask -- I don't want to be nosy about staff-related things. I just wasn't sure if you saying to didn't remember much meant that you actually weren't going on Ver any more.

12. jakdacrowe

Reputations:
    @Trystan
    I still get on Ver. But Artists don't really have much moderating power. Besides the TO (time-out) function on the ShoutBox. :/

13. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    I edited it so the images show, thanks!

That's pretty cool actually, multiple options are always nice.