Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and we're the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

Voice 1: When given the option, what gender character do you pick?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by electric_blue_kirby, Feb 7, 2012.

1. electric_blue_kirby

electric_blue_kirby Co-Owner Administrator

Voice 1:

I recently read an interesting article on this matter, but their sample size was small and only questionably random. I don't know that this thread might actually address either of those issues, but it should at least be able to get more opinion. When you create a character (and of course, have a choice), do you pick a gender that matches up with your own? And why?
  2. Drea

Drea Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

I generally choose males. I've never been completely sure why; it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that I love myself some cute videogame dudes, but it's also got a lot to do with the fact that I grew up with girl characters who were generally only very girly. I don't want to be a girly girl when I play. I'm not a girly girl in real life and I don't want to be one on the net or in games. I think I feel more of a personal connection with the guy characters, they're more real to me. I don't like running around in a skimpy outfit with a high-pitched voice and some... dumb flail weapon or something.

Of course, if a badass girl character is presented to me, or a girl character who is otherwise awesome and not the typical girly girl (Samus! Miria (From TGL, not Fallout 2)! Woo!), I might choose her. I guess it just depends.
  3. Joy

Joy Member VPL Member

I think it depends if I want to go with a character, and if so what their gender will be.

But normally I go with female because... I'm female. I always found it odd having a guy for a character, even if it was just for... whatever.​
  4. Kiara

Kiara Moderator Moderator VPL Member

There's really no solid way to answer this. It depends on both the game, and how I'm feeling at the time. If I want to represent myself I will often choose female, but a lot of the time I model avatars after my original characters, many of which are male.
  5. iArvee

iArvee New Member VPL Member

I usually go for females. I just find it nice for female avatars to own monsters or dominate in PVP. :D Though if it's a dancing game or something, I'll choose male.
  6. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

If it's for human avatars, then I always choose female.

If it's for roleplaying, then I'm quite mixed. I wouldn't mind to play as a male.
  7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I always pick male over anything.
  8. blueeyes

blueeyes New Member VPL Member

Generally it depends on the game but I do usually pick female.
  9. Evolution

Evolution Administrator Administrator

Usually I pick male, but there are a few times where I chosen female. I did it for something different, everyone was using guys and I didn't want to be like them.
  10. vanillaeclair

vanillaeclair New Member VPL Member

I've changed my tastes today. XD On MMOs, I now pick whichever avatar looks the most awesome. A sexy or cute woman or a bad-ass man? Harharhar~
  11. Angel

Angel New Member VPL Member

I tend to go with females because I suppose I have slight feminist tendencies. I love strong, gutsy female characters. There's also the appeal of pretending that the character is a better version of myself (usually they're a mage and part animal/not human if possible so they're pretty darn awesome). Plus I find it easier to make good looking femal characters than male characters since the males I make don't look "manly" since I'm not into hairy folks (TMI).
  12. jakdacrowe

jakdacrowe crow, bird, thing Approved Artist VPL Member

I am girl. I pick girl. /derp
    And when it comes to pets/companions, I'm always wishing for guys. lulz

I dunno.
    I find it funny when a small-ish girl character beating the living crap out of monsters and enemies alike. xD
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. Rumors

Rumors New Member VPL Member

I usually pick female characters because I tend to weave a story around them based on my own life. I tend to get super attached to them that way, but I'm okay with that. :)
  14. Pepper-Head

Pepper-Head You've cat to be kitten mew right meow. Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Member

With Human Avatars, I seem to always get girls, now that I think about it... (I can make her look however I want~!) Otherwise, almost always male. A lot of the time I don't like how the female characters look >_>
  15. Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow Approved Artist Approved Artist Approved Writer VPL Member

Depends on the game. Usually when I play Pokemon, I chose a girl, and then the second time through (on a diff. game) I choose a guy (however if the character is ridiculous enough, I'll chose the better looking XD). For DragonQuest IX I started as a guy because I thought they looked better (my main team is three guys and this girl). In the end, it depends on if I want to play as that character or not. :p
  16. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

I was they had a "neither gender option" for those that don't feel like picking between male and female. Sounds interesting, right?
  17. moro

moro Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

I mostly play as girls when given the option. Second play throughs I sometimes choose male though! Depends! I'm really not into playing really muscular male characters with huge arms. If the girls are too... Sexist then I don't choose them at all. I mean, most are, but there is a limit!
  18. sunandshadow

sunandshadow Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Supporter VPL Member

I'm female and I'll pretty much always pick a male character, unless the male option for a race/class are ugly and the females are less offensive to my sensibilities. When I play sims I make all male ones because I can make them all hot. But, for example, I made a female enutrof in Dofus because the male ones have a giant beard and look like unwashed gold miners, while the female ones look more like fun energetic grannies who bake apple pies. And I had a female tauren and dwarf in WoW to go along with my male blood elf and troll. That female dwarf was the only avatar I've ever made in a game that actually looked like me; I'm a BBW with a low alto voice, and it seems rare to see female avatars that have an option to be anything other than skinny girly-girls with high-pitched voices.