Welcome to Virtual Pet List!

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Like what you see? Then join our community! You'll love it! Its free!

1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are quite active on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We've been opened since 2011, however, we've owned our domain name since 2004 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of games listed that you can try out and possibly enjoy. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have done work in this industry as a whole.

2. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?

Volunteering: Writer / Content Ideas

Discussion in 'Volunteers' started by Trystan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Trystan

Trystan Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Name: Trystan Alexander (online alias)

My Past Experiences: I worked for an in-development site which will go unnamed to avoid ruining reputations. I was the head writer, in charge of hiring other writers and in charge of plot / item descriptions / everything else. I worked for a while, getting approved by the owner but otherwise creating the plot however I liked it. I helped to design the HA's and whatnot, along with sending in sketches for item / HA / pet ideas. The owner for this site got bored, I think, because he and the site disappeared one day.
    I worked for Cyncrose years ago, though this site was also in-development and still has not made it to light. My work since this job has vastly improved.
    I did work for Mahodai for a time. I worked on NPC and BO biographies, for the most part.

What I'm interested in:
    I'm interested in an in-development site where I can help come up with an ongoing plot. I refuse to work for a site that does not want a story for their site. I'm interested in working on ideas which will help mould the site. I would like to have some amount of free-reign, but I understand that what the owner wants is more important. Give me a base-line and I'll follow that, just like I did for the first example job.
    I prefer to work alone, or in small tight-knit groups, but I am willing to work with larger ones.
    I prefer that the site hire editors who do none of the writing. Every writer gets attached to their own work and miss vital errors.

Contact me: PM me here, or message me on Skype - my UN is Scenthound

Examples: (short story)
    "You're still awake?"
    It was one of the most stupid questions I'd heard Evelyn ask lately. She probably realized this as soon as it was out of her mouth. I looked for a way to mock her inquiry, but I was tired and simply slumped lower in my window seat.
    "I'm always awake."
    I stared up at the moon, pressing my face against the cold window pane. Uncrossing my arms only long enough to pull up my black Chiodos hoodie over my head, tugging it forward to block as much of my face as I could; I knew I was being rude to her. I didn't want to see what her reaction might be.
    I heard her sigh, and from the reflection on the window I could see her rubbing her eyes. My mate looked at me with such sorry emerald eyes, as if she wanted to take my burdens from my shoulders. She didn't even know what they were tonight, she barely knew me, and yet she looked at me that way. For a moment I felt regret at the biting way I had responded to her – then the moment was gone, leaving me to my morose thoughts.
    "What's wrong tonight, Lorraine?"
    I shrugged her off.
    There wasn't always a problem on the nights I couldn't sleep. I had a case of undiagnosed insomnia, and the more there was on my mind, the harder it was for dreamland to attain me. Evelyn didn't know me well enough to know all that, and I didn't trust her enough to tell her.
    Even if I had, it wouldn't matter. There actually was something wrong tonight – Evelyn's overly kind personality meant she would have asked even if she did know it could be nothing. I grumbled quietly to myself and sat in stony silence until she finally tried again.
    "Would you like some tea?"
    If she had asked me what was wrong again, I probably would have snapped. Instead, I heard her offer what I could not refuse. I nodded my consent. As she walked away, I pulled my knees up to my chest and leaned harder on the window.
    If I moved away from the glass just a little, I could see my own reflection. Doing so gave me the opportunity to see what Evelyn saw when she looked at me. There were bags under my eyes, my black hair was greasy, and my brown-amber eyes were dull and glossy. Even to myself I looked filthy. I wondered how it was that the Tribe Leaders expected me to share a bed with someone like Evelyn. I was unruly, unkempt, moody, and I didn't take care of myself like most those in my tribe did. At least, not on weeks like this…
    A warm cup being thrust into my hands interrupted me. I sniffed the air and breathed a sigh of gratitude – maybe Evelyn knew me a little better than I thought. I wrapped my fingers around the mug and allowed the scent of the earl gray to calm me.
    "Mother always used to make me earl gray when I couldn't sleep."
    Then again, maybe she just liked the tea as well as I did. The sip I had taken turned bitter in my mouth as I was hit once more by the same problem that had been keeping me up for the last few days.
    I had been life-mated by my Tribe to a woman I didn't even know.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Gabby likes this.
  2. Lion

Lion NICKI MINAJ! Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  3. Trystan

Reputations:
    Why thank you, I was just looking at that. It seems very interesting.
  4. Pepper-Head

Pepper-Head You've cat to be kitten mew right meow. Pet Game Owner Approved Artist VPL Member

Reputations:
    Perhaps you'd be interested in Kasaria? We could use your talents : )
  5. Gabby

Gabby Active Member Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:
    Are you expecting pay? In site currency? It's possible I can put you on a spot on my SIM, but it's a slow going one, and is far from stressful. Lol
  6. Trystan

Reputations:
    @Pepper-Head ; Would you mind it too terribly if I asked for a little more information about the job? I'd like to know exactly what you'd be hiring me to do. <3

@Gabby : I guess the same for you as for Pepper. I'd really like to know what I would be writing, so I know if I could be of the best service to you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
  7. Gabby

Reputations:
    @Trystan For the future, it might be easier to add an '@' sign in front of the name of the person you are speaking to, so they receive a notification (called a mention) and are able to access your reply easier. Quoting a post also serves this purpose, but I caution you about using both simultaneously since the user gets both notifications (a post quote and a 'mention'). It's annoyed me once or twice but I'm not sure about everyone else. Anyway, I've went in and changed it so the ping was sent. :) Also beware that if you edit a post and remove pings (if they were there), the member still receives the ping, its just doesn't show up in the post. Oh, feel free to test these out in the reply :) Since you're a new member, I won't be annoyed at all. It's rough to transition to vBulletin if you've never used it before

Since the project is a slow go right now and I have plenty on my plate, I'm going to get back to you on what the site is about and what you would be doing for the site. Do you plan on being available as a writer for a while? If not, I could try to make time to whip something up for you in Word.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  8. Trystan

Reputations:
    @Gabby; previously it wouldn't let me as I wasn't allowed to link anything. I will actually be reserving judgement on which site I'll decide to work for. I should like to find something that excites me. I do the best work when I'm really excited about a site.
  9. Gabby

Reputations:
    @Trystan Hmm, that's strange. You should mention it on the Updates and Feedback board if the problem persists. Were you linking the user's profile or using the @ sign?

And I'm the same way, I understand completely. I can tell you it's a dog SIM site, all realistic writing. I need someone to write the plot and the help guides. I planned on writing 90% of the site, but help is always nice. You can take a look around the Pre Forums - http://w11.zetaboards.com/friendzforever/index/ though nothing too exciting is up sadly. :( As I said, the project is a slow go. I have too much going on right now to actively work on it.
  10. Trystan

Reputations:
    @Gabby; I hadn't posted enough, so it wouldn't let me link the names. I'm glad I've gotten the required amount of posts now.
    As for the fact that the site is about dogs, you definitely have my interest. I'm just a little bit obsessed with them. XD Keep me posted?
  11. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:
    Actually, you can post links now, its after you get 10 posts.:biggrin

Can you write reviews or guides by any chance? :style
  12. Trystan

Reputations:
    @cpvr; You know, I've never actually tried writing either reviews or guides. I think I'm always afraid that I'm too opinionated. XD
  13. cpvr

Reputations:
    It's worth a shot, aye?:style
  14. Trystan

Reputations:
    @cpvr; Oh aye, always worth a shot. Did you have something in mind?
  15. Trystan

Reputations:
    Sorry for the double post...
    Edited the main post with a short story example. It's short.
  16. cpvr

Reputations:
    Well, if you could write up a review on your favorite video game or pet site, that would be cooll!:style
  17. Trystan

Reputations:
    @cpvr If I wrote a review on a game, it would have to be a DS game as those are seriously all I play aside from pet sites. XD
    As for a review on my favourite pet site, that would be Verpets -- however, to me the site seems to be dying out fast. Much of my review would come out scathing, and I don't want to piss anyone off. XD
  18. cpvr

Reputations:
    You can do both, we have a lot of quality reviews, I'm sure yours will fit just fine!
  19. Trystan

Reputations:
    Found a job on Kasaria, dears, but I'll still consider other sites.
    First post updated, as I no longer work for Mahodai.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  20. Trystan

Reputations:
    Just wondering if anyone else is interested in this. <3