1. virtual pet mascot

Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!
    We're a virtual pets and sim games community and the largest forum in our industry. Game owners can use our forum to their advatange by promoting/advertising their games to our users and receive feedback/reviews from those members that try their games out. We support developers of all kinds from RPG developers, sim game developers to virtual pet site developers. We want to see more games in our industry come across more success and that's why we try our best to release as many guides/articles regarding online gaming development as we can.
    We're unlike other forums in our industry because we try our best to be there for our users no matter what and give them advice whenever they ask for it. Running an online game isn't an easy task, but with our many resources that we've built since 2011, you'll learn a lot from our online community. Please don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forums because if you never ask, then you'll never receive an answer to your question and you can only improve by asking other users for help/advice.
    We have a lot of virtual pet sites' owners and sim game owners that are very frequent visitors on our online community. Along with artists, writers and programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our members who are artists sell art in our art marketplace and programmers are allowed to sell their scripts in the programming marketplace. We also allow game owners to sell their game in our general marketplace
    In early 2011, we decided to make a comeback to the internet because in 2010, we had a minor setback and we had to re-launch without any content, but with a lot of time, patience, hardwork and effort, we've managed to rebuild the Virtual pet list community into something better than it was before. We actually registered our domain name on November 4th, 2004, but we were only a directory then and all we had was a basic comments system for users to post things on their favorite games..
    So, what are you waiting for, why don't you join today? If you have any problems figuring out our security code, then here's a hint, it has millions upon users and has been around since 1997.
    Our list of virtual pet sites and directory of sim games have a lot of different games listed, so we're pretty sure that you may find some games that suits your needs as a player of sim games or virtual pet sites.
    If you're still curious about a certain game that you'd like to play, then please check out some of our game reviews that were written by some of our great contributors and our interviews with respective virtual pet site owners, sim game owners, artists, writers and programmers that have worked in this industry.

2. Guest,

Over the next few days there may be some slight changes to VPL. If you see something going on don't be alarmed we most likely know about it! If you have any troubles please contact Evolution.

Happy Holidays
    The VPL Staff
  3. Check out our latest guide on how to grow your user base!
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets - Corepets open beta
    Virtual Pet Directory
    Are you looking for new virtual pet sites or sim games to play?
    VPL's sister site the virtual pets blog

What does your site charge for an 'Upgraded' account?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Zorte, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Zorte

Zorte Newish Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    I'm trying to see where the market is. Charging people for "Upgraded" accounts is a great way to make revenue, but it can also hurt you if you over price your services. Even more harrowing is the economy: who has money to frivolously spend on an online game?

Most Virtual Pet sites I've seen are in the $15-$20 PER YEAR range, but I'm not just looking for sites that fit into that category.

What do most people charge for an Upgraded account and do you charge yearly or monthly? Also, how do you keep the upgrades incoming (i.e. sales, promotions, "freebies")?

Do you think people would be more apt to do a monthly upgrade (pay $5/month) or pay bulk ($60)?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Peanut

Peanut Elite Member VPL Member

Reputations:
    Re: What does your site charge for an "Upgraded" account?

$15-20 is way too expensive. I've never seen that. $15 is for WoW for one month.. so worth it since it's more interative than a browser-based VPS.
    I would say around $5-7 for a VPS.

3. Zorte

Reputations:

**EDIT** I meant $20/YEAR, so yes... $20/month is high.

Ah - I'd seen $20 for a Pet site called "Mutt-z" that is now (to my knowledge) inactive and closed.

What about sites that provide more features than the typical "adopt, breed, take care" sites? Furcadia - for Avatars - can be from $50 - $100 USD.

What would be -WORTH- getting an upgraded account? In my opinion it would be more than just the usual perks of "more in game currency".

The only upgraded account I've ever gotten was not to make my game play better, but was to support the site.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Alkali Regnant

Alkali Regnant FeatheredCritter VPL Supporter Pet Game Owner Web Designer Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

On Ekos it's $15 for 3 months, $25 for 6 months, and $70 for forever (though that'll be available at limited times only)

Gabby likes this.
  5. indysolo621

indysolo621 Elite Member VPL Member

Reputations:

Most sites charge $5 a month.

6. Zorte

Reputations:

The $5 a month makes sense.

Another question (And I'll add it to my first post):

Do you think people would be more apt to do a monthly upgrade (pay $5/month) or pay bulk ($60)?

In my mind, the bulk would be a scary number if you didn't break it down for people (i.e. $60/year, that's only $5 per month!)

7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

Reputations:

@ZorteZorte

For avatars? Thart's quite expensive. I think $15 bucks would be good for a customized avatar. If you wanted a customized human avatar, $25 seems reasonable.

Mutt-z is inactive more than likely because it proabably has made a lot of money through their "prices" for account upgrades, thus, the owner probably became active, went on vacation, and decided to stop updating the site, it happens more often than not. Could you share their other prices?

You also ave to figure out the best options for your users, for a gold account, $5 a month seems like the best options, but if you allow users to get their own customized items, then it should be between $10 - $20, you could also sell items in your cash shop for various prices - and if your users love your site, they'll pay the price to help support the game.

Advertisements are also an option if you can't monetize correctly with the cash shop or it doesn't generate enough revenue for you.

The best thing to do is, start off with low prices, and has the game grows, you start implementing higher-priced items, which will help you support your game in terms of server upgrades, advertising, and things like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Zorte

Reputations:

That makes a lot of sense. As for more of Mutt-z prices, I knew of the $20/ year because I donated that back when they were live and under old administration. They were sold, and I am no longer sure of the site's status.

It is interesting to see where the market is on all the virtual sites and what people are willing to pay. Of course, loyalty is needed before a game can raise their prices.. This was very interesting and informative! Thanks for the input, guys!

9. Gabby

Gabby Inactive on VPL. PM me for off site contact Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:

@Zorte Mutt-z is open and running again. I highly recommend revisiting and see how you like it now. Naomi is the an original creator and/or owner, so the administration change wasn't too vigorous. $20 is still the upgrade price, but a single donation credit is expensive. It costs $1 for every donation credit which is called Diamonds.

10. Zorte

Reputations:

@GabbyGabby Thanks!! I'll have to check it out and see if my old login works :]

11. Gabby

Gabby Inactive on VPL. PM me for off site contact Former VPL Staff VPL Member

Reputations:

@ZorteZorte Hey no problem :) If you have any other questions about it I might be able to help, but I'm not extremely active or engaged in the gameplay, so I can't answer much. I can definitely try, though. Also, your old login should work, Naomi mentioned that most of the old accounts were restored. I don't know how true that is, though. I didn't play before it vanished

12. slusserd

slusserd New Member VPL Member

Reputations:

Icepets has a few different options.
    $5 for a month, $13 for three months, $25 for six months, and $40 for a year

13. Zorte

Reputations:

@slusserdslusserd

Thanks for the input! After collecting all this research, I feel good about what we plan to charge for our site. It is roughly the same. In my head, when you say $60/year, it seems MUCH more than saying $5/month.

@ All: Do you think wording upgrade prices in that format deter potential buyers (example: $60/year versus $5/month)? Also, how do you do payments? A lump sum for the entire year or hope they continue purchasing upgraded accounts each month? To me, it would seem to make more sense to have them locked in for a year, but again, saying $60/year seems like a big number.

14. cpvr

Reputations:

You should have both options available. At least, I'd think so. You could set up payments via paypal, google checkout, or via Postal. If you do it via postal, make sure the users send a check.

15. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Official Derp Wolf Approved VPL Artist VPL Member

Reputations:

@cpvrcpvr - The site I'm working on I'm working out the details for accounts, and this thread helps tremendously. I'm thinking about taking postal for account upgrades, but only with money orders. Yeah, it's more expensive, but with money orders, you don't have to worry about a check bouncing because money orders the money has been paid into it. It seems a bit fair to ask for some security, right? :p

Paypal is what I'm probably going to use for online payments. Google checkout, I heard it pulls out the fees once a month, so I would have to put the money back for the fees, which I find to be a hassle. Paypal might be more for fees, but I think it's worth it to not to have to figure out your fees!

16. cpvr

Reputations:

You're welcome, glad we could help. Paypal would be great to have as an option, same with Google checkout - or you could also implement "SMS payments", but I'm not quite sure how to do that one.

17. SpottyWolf

Reputations:

@cpvrcpvr- With my hubby being an Android/iOS developer, Apple Authorized Tech, AAST, MCSC, CCNA certified, I plan on solving the issue partway for that as well. He says it's doable for SMS payments!

18. cpvr

Reputations:

Glad to hear, that's wonderful!:style Now you have multiple options for payments! =D

19. SpottyWolf

Reputations:

@cpvrcpvr - I want to have as many options for payments as possible. The reason being is that some people may not like paypal, so the more options the better off I am I think!

20. Zorte

Reputations:
    @SpottyWolfSpottyWolf
    @cpvrcpvr

I have not researched anything other than Paypal, but it would be worth it to check out the other forms of payment. I do know that a lot of upsells for hosting/servers is an SSL certificate that you can have people enter in their own credit card directly onto your site, wired into a bank account. Then, you could most likely set up the auto-draw payments of the monthly upgrade fees instead of just hoping that they remember each month to buy it (i.e. losing money). The problem with that would be instilling the sense of security in your users just like Paypal has...I trust Paypal, but I would be wary about some site asking for my card information without being apart of the Better Business Bureau or something like that.

Thanks for the input!