Welcome to the Virtual Pet List Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. It is completely free and one of the most positive communities on the web! Come and join the fun!

Join VPL Today!
  1. Virtual Pets

Welcome to the Virtual Pet list forum!

We're a Virtual Pets and Sim Games Community. We have a lot of Virtual Pet Sites Owners and Sim Games Owners that frequently visit, along with Artists, Writers and Programmers that come here looking for work and games to work for. Our Artists sell art in our Art Marketplace and Programmers are allowed to sell scripts in the Programming Marketplace. We've been opened since 2011 and since then we've grown and expanded quite nicely. What are you waiting for, why don't you join today?

Our List of Virtual Pet Sites has a lot of Sim Games listed as well. You are more than welcome to check out our directory of sites and find a new game to play. If you're still curious about a game to play, you can check out some of our Game Reviews and Interviews with Coders, Artists, Writers and Game Owners of the industry.
  2. Have you read and commented on any of our Interviews or Reviews yet?
    Yes, it's true Teripets will not come back online
    Paladore - Boopets - Icepets
    Virtual Pet Directory
    join mycena cave!

What does your site charge for an 'Upgraded' account?

Discussion in 'Virtual Pet Information' started by Zorte, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Zorte

Zorte New Member VPL Member

I'm trying to see where the market is. Charging people for "Upgraded" accounts is a great way to make revenue, but it can also hurt you if you over price your services. Even more harrowing is the economy: who has money to frivolously spend on an online game?

Most Virtual Pet sites I've seen are in the $15-$20 PER YEAR range, but I'm not just looking for sites that fit into that category.

What do most people charge for an Upgraded account and do you charge yearly or monthly? Also, how do you keep the upgrades incoming (i.e. sales, promotions, "freebies")?

Do you think people would be more apt to do a monthly upgrade (pay $5/month) or pay bulk ($60)?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    join misticpets, support vpl
  2. Dyl

Dyl Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

Re: What does your site charge for an "Upgraded" account?

$15-20 is way too expensive. I've never seen that. $15 is for WoW for one month.. so worth it since it's more interative than a browser-based VPS.
    I would say around $5-7 for a VPS.
  3. Zorte

**EDIT** I meant $20/YEAR, so yes... $20/month is high.

Ah - I'd seen $20 for a Pet site called "Mutt-z" that is now (to my knowledge) inactive and closed.

What about sites that provide more features than the typical "adopt, breed, take care" sites? Furcadia - for Avatars - can be from $50 - $100 USD.

What would be -WORTH- getting an upgraded account? In my opinion it would be more than just the usual perks of "more in game currency".

The only upgraded account I've ever gotten was not to make my game play better, but was to support the site.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Alkali Regnant

Alkali Regnant FeatheredCritter Web Designer Approved Artist Pet Game Owner VPL Supporter VPL Member

On Ekos it's $15 for 3 months, $25 for 6 months, and $70 for forever (though that'll be available at limited times only)
    Gabby likes this.
  5. indysolo621

indysolo621 Member VPL Member

Most sites charge $5 a month.
  6. Zorte

The $5 a month makes sense.

Another question (And I'll add it to my first post):

Do you think people would be more apt to do a monthly upgrade (pay $5/month) or pay bulk ($60)?

In my mind, the bulk would be a scary number if you didn't break it down for people (i.e. $60/year, that's only $5 per month!)
  7. cpvr

cpvr Owner and Founder Administrator

@Zorte

For avatars? Thart's quite expensive. I think $15 bucks would be good for a customized avatar. If you wanted a customized human avatar, $25 seems reasonable.

Mutt-z is inactive more than likely because it proabably has made a lot of money through their "prices" for account upgrades, thus, the owner probably became active, went on vacation, and decided to stop updating the site, it happens more often than not. Could you share their other prices?

You also ave to figure out the best options for your users, for a gold account, $5 a month seems like the best options, but if you allow users to get their own customized items, then it should be between $10 - $20, you could also sell items in your cash shop for various prices - and if your users love your site, they'll pay the price to help support the game.

Advertisements are also an option if you can't monetize correctly with the cash shop or it doesn't generate enough revenue for you.

The best thing to do is, start off with low prices, and has the game grows, you start implementing higher-priced items, which will help you support your game in terms of server upgrades, advertising, and things like that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Zorte

That makes a lot of sense. As for more of Mutt-z prices, I knew of the $20/ year because I donated that back when they were live and under old administration. They were sold, and I am no longer sure of the site's status.

It is interesting to see where the market is on all the virtual sites and what people are willing to pay. Of course, loyalty is needed before a game can raise their prices.. This was very interesting and informative! Thanks for the input, guys!
  9. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

@Zorte Mutt-z is open and running again. I highly recommend revisiting and see how you like it now. Naomi is the an original creator and/or owner, so the administration change wasn't too vigorous. $20 is still the upgrade price, but a single donation credit is expensive. It costs $1 for every donation credit which is called Diamonds.
  10. Zorte

@Gabby Thanks!! I'll have to check it out and see if my old login works :]
  11. Gabby

Gabby Happy to help! Administrator

@Zorte Hey no problem :) If you have any other questions about it I might be able to help, but I'm not extremely active or engaged in the gameplay, so I can't answer much. I can definitely try, though. Also, your old login should work, Naomi mentioned that most of the old accounts were restored. I don't know how true that is, though. I didn't play before it vanished
  12. slusserd

slusserd New Member VPL Member

Icepets has a few different options.
    $5 for a month, $13 for three months, $25 for six months, and $40 for a year
  13. Zorte

@slusserd

Thanks for the input! After collecting all this research, I feel good about what we plan to charge for our site. It is roughly the same. In my head, when you say $60/year, it seems MUCH more than saying $5/month.

@ All: Do you think wording upgrade prices in that format deter potential buyers (example: $60/year versus $5/month)? Also, how do you do payments? A lump sum for the entire year or hope they continue purchasing upgraded accounts each month? To me, it would seem to make more sense to have them locked in for a year, but again, saying $60/year seems like a big number.
  14. cpvr

You should have both options available. At least, I'd think so. You could set up payments via paypal, google checkout, or via Postal. If you do it via postal, make sure the users send a check.
  15. SpottyWolf

SpottyWolf Approved Artist Approved Artist VPL Member

@cpvr - The site I'm working on I'm working out the details for accounts, and this thread helps tremendously. I'm thinking about taking postal for account upgrades, but only with money orders. Yeah, it's more expensive, but with money orders, you don't have to worry about a check bouncing because money orders the money has been paid into it. It seems a bit fair to ask for some security, right? :p

Paypal is what I'm probably going to use for online payments. Google checkout, I heard it pulls out the fees once a month, so I would have to put the money back for the fees, which I find to be a hassle. Paypal might be more for fees, but I think it's worth it to not to have to figure out your fees!
  16. cpvr

You're welcome, glad we could help. Paypal would be great to have as an option, same with Google checkout - or you could also implement "SMS payments", but I'm not quite sure how to do that one.
  17. SpottyWolf

@cpvr- With my hubby being an Android/iOS developer, Apple Authorized Tech, AAST, MCSC, CCNA certified, I plan on solving the issue partway for that as well. He says it's doable for SMS payments!
  18. cpvr

Glad to hear, that's wonderful!:style Now you have multiple options for payments! =D
  19. SpottyWolf

@cpvr - I want to have as many options for payments as possible. The reason being is that some people may not like paypal, so the more options the better off I am I think!
  20. Zorte

@SpottyWolf
    @cpvr

I have not researched anything other than Paypal, but it would be worth it to check out the other forms of payment. I do know that a lot of upsells for hosting/servers is an SSL certificate that you can have people enter in their own credit card directly onto your site, wired into a bank account. Then, you could most likely set up the auto-draw payments of the monthly upgrade fees instead of just hoping that they remember each month to buy it (i.e. losing money). The problem with that would be instilling the sense of security in your users just like Paypal has...I trust Paypal, but I would be wary about some site asking for my card information without being apart of the Better Business Bureau or something like that.

Thanks for the input!